Re: Amstar Nostalgia 49cc

ryan kurowski /

thanks for the reply! the spark plug is looking fine as well, and it has a fresh oil change in it as well. i will definitely check out that guide though! i'm wondering if it's an electrical issue cause all my lights come on but it won't start. maybe a bad connection?

All your lights come on because it's a battery bike. Spark is handled separately.

Pull the plug, connect it's wire and turn the engine over with the metal body of the plug sitting on the head. If you see spark, you know it's got it.lol

Get ready for more problems. These crappy Chinese bikes aren't known for reliability.

The rattling noise makes me think the cam chan or a valve exploded. Ya never know....

Luckily it is a horizontal Honda clone, so if it was a catastrophic failure literally hundreds of engines will bolt right on. manual/auto...50/90/125cc..3speed/4speed etc..

I bet it's something simple tho

Check spark, then fuel, then compression

ryan kurowski /

Thank you! I will check the spark plug tonight and see if it's the problem or not. and yes, i'm hoping that it is a simple fix as well.

ryan kurowski /

the shop i got it from thinks that the carburetor on my bike is bad, so they're sending me a new one. so i guess i'm learning how to change a carburetor lol

Did You Custom Make that Exhaust? If so Did You Buy Any Of The parts Prefabricated?

[TL;DR - Got my first popped front tube, need help locating new one]

Alrighty y'all, it's been about a month since my first ride after y'all helped me figure out the oil filter thing (turns out there was none lol) & it's been a dream! Granted, I only ever go down the street to the grocery store or on leisurely neighbourhood rides, but other than taking a bit to get used to the cyclical gear shifts I've had a surprisingly problem-free time thus far...key words: Thus far.

Today I was going maybe 15 or 20 through a side street behind a school & BAM! Slammed across one of those dodgy super-speedbumps they put in schools that are incredibly small but super blunt so you absolutely cannot cruise over them. Now, obviously I would've slowed down if I had seen it, but this fucker was made of asphalt & had no colouring on it, so it straight up blended in with the ground 🙃.

I didn't fall or anything, but about a quarter mile down the street I noticed my front end was a little wobbly as I pulled into a parking lot. I looked down & my shit was ffflllllaaaaaaaatttttt. Checked for holes: Nothing. Checked for rips: Nothing. Made it to the gas station down the street for some air & it just wasn't filling at all. After listening closely while rotating the tire for about 15 minutes, turns out there was the /tiniest/ little tear in the seam of the tube right where the refill stem sticks out 🤦🏽‍♂️.

So, here we are at the crux of the story - I made it a month without issues & now I'm in need of advice of where to allocate tubes for my Nostalgia. Where would I order this sort of item from? Treatland? CycleGear? I hear y'all talking about how Nostalgias are Honda knockoffs; Does that mean I can just use tubes from them too or are only the engines compatible? Is there a specific model number or trusted brand I should be looking for? Is it just like bicycles where I simply need to read the side of the tire to find out? Looking at all the connecting parts on the front is making me dread changing it out, but I'm not tryna sit around here doing nothing lol

I don't fuck with Amazon at all, so if you have any suggestions for online suppliers or maybe physical locations in the East Bay Area that'd be siqq 🤙🏽. Thanks in advance!

Wow, just wow. Read the size off the sidewall of the tyre and go to a motorbike shop and ask for an inner tube to fit. Or Treats.

Andy.. on the swap you did with the QIYE.. what rectifier did you buy to replace? I did the swap and have no lights, horn, etc.. I believe i wired correctly but had no manual or diagrams. the two wires were the yellows that I had to question... I lined them up with old one and determined one was for the white and the other for the yellow based on the orientation at the plugs.. thoughts?

Joshifer Marks /

This is probably been asked a million times but I need a bit more speed.

Changed carb and air intake.

Cdi box

Exhaust.

I’m hitting 42mph I need a min of 45. Any other little tweak I can do? Besides a bbk or a 125cc

IIRC.. there is a gear you can change but I don't know the size.... maybe 17?

Here is my 2020.

My list so far...

CDI

125cc 4spd

22 carb

Custom exhaust

Cafe bars

Mirrors

Saddle bags

3" rear tire

2.75" front

Fender delete

Having a blast with this thing!! More to do but... baby steps.

How well does the 3” clear with the stock swing arm?

> Josh Swope Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> How well does the 3” clear with the stock swing arm?

It’s close but sits 1/2” away.

"fender delete" is a pretty cringey way to say I took my fender off

Dirty30 Dillon /

I can't believe people keep coming and adding to this thread.

> Dirty30 Dillon Wrote:

> I can't believe people keep coming and adding to this thread.

When it's the only water around ... ;)

This is frankly the ONLY place I have been able to find ANY info on these bikes on the internet. Hell the dealer didn’t even know anything about them, his distributor just sent them to him randomly lol.

Does anyone have a schematic for the inside of the front wheel brake hub? Or maybe a video detailing the mechanics on the inside? I'm having some issues.

After weeks of waiting for a tube delivery, I had to change a flat on my front tire yesterday which required taking apart the hub to remove it from the fork & I'm pretty confident I reassembled it correctly, but once I started riding just a hundred yards down the street I started losing power & my odometer quit reading anything at all, even at full speed.

All I can find anywhere is information about removing/installing the REAR wheel, but from what I gather on watching other moped/scooter videos it seems like I may have somehow disconnected or misaligned the little speed meter gear? I've disassembled it three times now & could swear everything went back in place correctly. Is there something crucial in the process I'm missing?

Any help would be fantastic.

Believe it's set up the same as all the Chinese Honda clones. That or something broke. What do you mean losing power? The wheel has nothing to do with the engine.

Why in the world did you wait weeks for a tube? It's a standard 17in motorcycle tube. Any motorcycle shop would probably have one.

is it locking up? You probably missed a spacer and have the drum pressed against the hub just as it's tightened on.

for the speedo, probably just a lil tab or something somewhere, if you stare at it long enough you can figure out how it works

There are two tabs on a washer inside that must align in the gear for Speedo.. also.. make sure it has grease between where the grooves on the cable coming into the wheel on the spiral that rotates against the spinning wheel and that washer with the tabs. It’s a pain to line up and took a few times for me. Assuming you left the speedometer cable attached to the hub.. it’s more of a pain to line up and not have that notched washer move. Make sure the hub sits even when it’s reassembled too. Also.. there is a notch on the outside that aligns in the front shock/fork and that was rubbing for me. I had to loosen axle bolt and center it in the notch. Hope that helps.. fwiw, same happened to me and that’s all I messed with to fix.. I didn’t do anything with the brakes, except adjust after. > Cameron Wansley Wrote:

> Does anyone have a schematic for the inside of the front wheel brake

> hub? Or maybe a video detailing the mechanics on the inside? I'm

> having some issues.

>

> After weeks of waiting for a tube delivery, I had to change a flat on my

> front tire yesterday which required taking apart the hub to remove it

> from the fork & I'm pretty confident I reassembled it correctly, but

> once I started riding just a hundred yards down the street I started

> losing power & my odometer quit reading anything at all, even at full

> speed.

>

> All I can find anywhere is information about removing/installing the

> REAR wheel, but from what I gather on watching other moped/scooter

> videos it seems like I may have somehow disconnected or misaligned the

> little speed meter gear? I've disassembled it three times now & could

> swear everything went back in place correctly. Is there something

> crucial in the process I'm missing?

>

> Any help would be fantastic. (edited)

Taylor Miller /

I'm about to do an oil change on my Nostalgia for the first time. Is the drain plug the larger one on the right side or the smaller one on the left? Pretty sure it's the right but I don't want to pull the wrong thing and have something else come out on me to replace.

1️⃣aaronb:

I waited weeks for a tube because my local shops didn't have my size in? They had to order it & there's kinda, y'know, a whole pandemic going on so it took a while to get shipped. Plus, with my Amstar being my only vehicle & the shops being two cities away, it's not like it's convenient for me to walk there 🤷🏽‍♂️.

Also, obviously the wheel has nothing to do with the engine, I'm simply stating the facts of what happened after replacing the tube in case there is any correlation to something I'm unaware of. I have no idea why I would be losing power, but I was. Like, the engine was stalling out at neutral, had trouble putting power into first gear & would fail entirely after downshifts. Are they connected? I don't know, that's why I'm asking y'all. This has since been remedied somewhat through troubleshooting, but nevertheless, facts are facts.

2️⃣willd & poweredge99

Thanks for being straightforward with your answers, I appreciate the humility 🤙🏽

Yeah, I kept the cables attached when removing the brake hub & those two little tabs were an absolute pain to get aligned, but I've definitely put 'em in their slot perfect every single time. I don't know why, but I'm still receiving no reading whatsoever from the odometer (or should I be calling it speedometer?). All washers are in their correct place, the inner brake hub tabs from the odometer mechanism are inserted in their two slots in the wheel section, there's ample grease available & I didn't fuck with the cables in any other manner.

See Attached a video of me in 2nd & 3rd gear earlier today with no readouts at all 👉🏽

I'm utterly lost of what to do other than take it to a shop, but the nearest one to me (Pleasant Hill) is all the way out in Oakland, so without a car I'm kind of up a creek for professional repairs.

One thing to check.. look where it connects to the actual unit up on the speedometer. Is it broken there when you unthread it? Like... not connected now. That can happen if improperly assembled at the wheel.... for whatever reason.

Cameron W Wrote:

> 1️⃣aaronb:

>

> I waited weeks for a tube because my local shops didn't have my size in?

> They had to order it & there's kinda, y'know, a whole pandemic going on

> so it took a while to get shipped. Plus, with my Amstar being my only

> vehicle & the shops being two cities away, it's not like it's convenient

> for me to walk there 🤷🏽‍♂️.

>

> Also, obviously the wheel has nothing to do with the engine, I'm simply

> stating the facts of what happened after replacing the tube in case

> there is any correlation to something I'm unaware of. I have no idea

> why I would be losing power, but I was. Like, the engine was stalling

> out at neutral, had trouble putting power into first gear & would fail

> entirely after downshifts. Are they connected? I don't know, that's

> why I'm asking y'all. This has since been remedied somewhat through

> troubleshooting, but nevertheless, facts are facts.

>

> ___________________________________________

>

> 2️⃣willd & poweredge99

>

> Thanks for being straightforward with your answers, I appreciate the

> humility 🤙🏽

>

> Yeah, I kept the cables attached when removing the brake hub & those two

> little tabs were an absolute pain to get aligned, but I've definitely

> put 'em in their slot perfect every single time. I don't know why, but

> I'm still receiving no reading whatsoever from the odometer (or should I

> be calling it speedometer?). All washers are in their correct place,

> the inner brake hub tabs from the odometer mechanism are inserted in

> their two slots in the wheel section, there's ample grease available & I

> didn't fuck with the cables in any other manner.

>

> See Attached a video of me in 2nd & 3rd gear earlier today with no

> readouts at all 👉🏽

>

> I'm utterly lost of what to do other than take it to a shop, but the

> nearest one to me (Pleasant Hill) is all the way out in Oakland, so

> without a car I'm kind of up a creek for professional repairs.

I'd younk the internal cable out. the tabbed piece should have a threaded on connector for the speedo cable. unthread that and remove the cable. now you should be able to look in and see if the inner mechanism that turns the cable is working. it's either a flat piece that fits into a slotted end on the cable, or it's a square drave that fits the square cable. but wither way, lifting the front wheel off the ground and looking into the drive mechanism where the cable goes you should see it turning. if not then the drive is broken or improperly installed.

if that does turn but it's not reading at the speedometer (odometer is the miles reading, but equally valid since they share teh same cable)

anyhow if it's still not reading, try pushing the cable in all the way and seeing if you can spin it by hand or with a drill and see if it moves the needle. if not, it's either a broken cable (you can pull it straight out and slide it straight back in just as easily) or improperly installed in the speedometer end, or just a bad speedometer

Thoughts.. anyone switched the kill switch for a unit that doesnt have the mirror attached. My thought is to go bar end mirrors or see what hanging them upside down looks like with a short rise mirror.

[UPDATE]:

Thanks for all the tips! I ended up following all of your steps to make sure I absolutely idiot-checked everything, yet there was still something not quite right.

After pulling the tabbed-gear out for inspection, I saw that the tabs were actually splayed out ever-so-slighlty more than they should have been, meaning they weren't fully inserting themselves into the holes on the hub. A quick bend with my pliers & the problem was solved, allowing the tabs to fit perfectly into their holes 💁🏽‍♂️

My guess? The first time I reinstalled the hub after changing my tube I must have had the tabs misaligned as I retightened the hub back on, forcing them to bend outward. Still, while your solutions weren't technically the right path to the problem, I appreciate the help in figuring out what connects to what & how to check for inconsistencies in the future as it helped me triple check EVERYTHING 🤙🏽

That's great!! Glad you got it working!!

> Cameron W Wrote:

> :

>

> Thanks for all the tips! I ended up following all of your steps to make

> sure I absolutely idiot-checked everything, yet there was still

> something not quite right.

>

> After pulling the tabbed-gear out for inspection, I saw that the tabs

> were actually splayed out ever-so-slighlty more than they should have

> been, meaning they weren't fully inserting themselves into the holes on

> the hub. A quick bend with my pliers & the problem was solved, allowing

> the tabs to fit perfectly into their holes 💁🏽‍♂️

>

> My guess? The first time I reinstalled the hub after changing my tube I

> must have had the tabs misaligned as I retightened the hub back on,

> forcing them to bend outward. Still, while your solutions weren't

> technically the right path to the problem, I appreciate the help in

> figuring out what connects to what & how to check for inconsistencies in

> the future as it helped me triple check EVERYTHING 🤙🏽

Michael Earley /

Just picked one of these up yesterday from NVA motor sports. Realized this is the only source of info and there’s at least 40 of them floating around nothern va now.

Created a quick group on Facebook, also saw the dc mopeds and small bore corps but would be good to have an “owners” group so here it is, would be great to have some of the folks who are active in this thread help modding it. Also would be great to meet Andy and some of the other NoVA guys who inspired me to buy (and mod) one.

Spent two years in Thailand riding 125cc 4 and 2 strokes to the lack of power is gonna take some getting used to.

Also managed to pick up a free Chinese scooter the same time from a friend up on silver sprint who has it sitting for 3 years so that’s where I’ll hopefully make my mistakes first.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1528943254120852/?ref=share

78AF2F4B-48B2-4E1E-9CC4-7FE80C745C24.jpeg

Michael Earley /

Ok found a group that didn’t exist in search so scratch my idea Id creating one asa better one exists https://www.facebook.com/groups/868310757235880/?ref=share

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account