Amstar Nostalgia 49cc

So I just got a 2018 Amstar Nostalgia 49cc moped. I noticed Amstar is a sister company to “Zongshen”. Also this moped is a Honda ss50 clone with a horizontal 4 stroke engine. It’s currently restricted at 30-35 mph

I’m new to 4 strokes and was wondering if anyone had info for me to “Derestrict or improve” my performance via, carburetor, exhaust, gearing (front or rear sprocket)

I just need some advice as to what parts to buy. If anyone has recommendations on what would fit and give me peak performance thanks

0713C304-41F1-44A2-9E5D-E87F1EBC849A.jpeg
4640FD99-375D-4748-91A4-1632C4DCA342.jpeg

Re: Amstar Nostalgia 49cc

kevin Smellaflange /

35-45 mph is typical for honda, small front sprockets.

this clone is a carb restricted small valves etc...

the good news is, you prolly can stuff any honda in there.

honda mods are in abundance.

check for similarities.

stuff a 17 tooth front sprocket on it.

DUUUUDDDDEEEEEE! That bike is sick. I have been test driving them and love those bikes. However, been scared to pull the trigger. Found one that needs some work on CL for 600 bucks...wondering if it is worth it.

Thanks buddy I figured it was at the carb, and probably exhaust. I just never seen “in person” any other 4 stroke tbh. thanks for the advice I’m totally gonna be researching these Honda parts then

Brad William /

wow nostalgia.

That Honda Photoed is exactly the bike my neighbor taught my brother and I to ride in the factory parking lot down the street one summer day about 1971.

A friend picked one of these up and it got me thinking aboot performance upgrades.

Dirty30 Dillon /

What a whack-ass intake.

Is this thing 6v or 12v?

The Honda is good for 50mph if you find one.

Brad William /

I just realized this picture was taken about 20 miles from my home.(edited)

I wonder if cheap chinese 50cc options will drive down or increase the cost of actual decent mopeds. Like are people gonna see these and think, hey that's a better deal for a new bike than a vintage bike for the same price, or would folks be more likely to see this and think man, makes me want a moped, how much is a classic 2 stroke moped from a reputable brand that was made with quality standards

Thats a good thought, I’m hoping productions increase on these little engines regardless the company. I feel technology is just getting better as long as it doesn’t die (ie cassette tapes). I personally haven’t had any issues, I broke the engine in real good and got a different carburetor on it now so it’s running slightly rich. Mostly because I still have stock exhaust, smh I kno. Shame on me lol

Edit** I also really wanted the frame mint instead of having to search for classics with frame damage or possible Honda cancer (rust). Engines will always be available for donors it’s just like fast and the furious “vin diesel and his v8 swapped rx-7 instead of the rotary engine” sooner or later it’ll turn into a 75cc or bigger(edited)

Always thought these were cool, but I’d get rid of the 50cc engine and throw in a 70cc or even a 110cc engine. Seems like the pipe, engine mounts and electrics would accept a bigger engine with no problems.

DrGeorgeTompson (Alan) /

Andy! You should join the DC Mopeds facebook group and come ride with us some time. You can hang out in the back with all the stock tomos ;)

You realize, I hope, that these are small motorcycles, not mopeds!!!

That sounds totally awesome I’ll join what is it called? Dc moped page? My first moped was a 2 stroke Tomos streetmate back in 2007, but it got stolen in 2010. I went to live in Vietnam for a year in 2015 and owned two 125cc but I didn’t do any modifications (didn’t want the commies to hold me as ransom lol)

DrGeorgeTompson (Alan) /

Not many manufacturers make bikes with pedals anymore. I’m aware of the whole scooter,moped, motorcycle stigma. As long as your not a cop lol jk jk

Edit** cops are ok just don’t be a snitch truth be told \_(••)_/(edited)

MCAB (most cops are bastards)

^ I used to think that way, until I quit breaking the law, now I rarely ever see them and when I do they are respectful, I give them more lee-way in the attitude department than most people, due to the nature of their job, it is one I sure would not want.

I just bought the exact same Amstar Nostalgia 49 and love it.

I'm looking for a way to de-restrict it as well.

Did you ever find out any mods for it?

Josiah Radebaugh /

Just a small 4 smoke so.... Less restrictive pipe, higher flow through the intake. Same stuff. Better put an expansion chamber on there ;)

Go on amazon and buy the goofit “5 pin cdi box” it should be “ac” and you’ll go from 30kmh to 80kmh max (from 30mph to 50mph) but you’ll average about 70kmh (about 43 mph) make sure you break in the engine real good first and don’t blow your new engine. Also I’m running Mobil 1 full synthetic 0w-40 European oil. Easy starts FYI for cold starts and good temp regulation. Idc what anyone says it works great.

Hi guys “update on my Amstar Nostalgia 49cc” I swapped my cdi box with a “goofit 5 pin cdi box” I got off amazon. I went from stock 30mph to 50mph max (average 43mph). I also swapped my oil to Mobil 1 0w-40 European full synthetic for easier cold starts (weather really varies where I’m from) and it has great heat resistance. I haven’t changed the exhaust, intake, or carb yet. My next step is changing the front sprocket to one with more teeth that way I get more speed at lower rpms. I also changed my handle bars to some “clubman style” bars.

6817B772-81B9-478A-BA68-80127D6E9BF5.jpeg

Natasha Hernandez /

I am interested in getting the 5 pin as well. I need just a little more speed to get up the hill to my house. I just need to know how to install it. Is there a forum or another website I can look on?

I can tell you it is very easy. Pm me when you finally purchase the bike I’ll give you instructions

Natasha Hernandez /

I have the bike, I ordered the 5 pin today, should arrive next week. Thanks for the help.

Josiah Radebaugh /

I want one of these more than a Honda monkey....

Remove the seat. There are 2 bolts underneath. You’ll see the box. Tip remove the rubber tubing restricting the air filter for more power

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account