fuuuuuck, mopeds r hard....

i haven't worked on a moped in ages. i used to be really good apparently because my tomos i put together ages ago still rips. do E50s just always sound like shit? is 80 something not a reasonable jet to run in a 70 kit with a 15mm sha? am i actually going to have to use my timing light? i was working on this puch today. broke a pull starter about 10 different ways. went back to pedal/clutch. kinda works. it has a hpi on it. it pops and farts and dies. mopeds sucks! fixin harleys is easy as fuck! everything's 3x as big, fits perfect, and has 10s of vids on youtube for every god gamn thing. i know, i know, "but it's 10x as much $!" ahhh young mopedder, but it isn't. 1 scratch, 1 rust spot and it's cheaper than a bent ol' maxi fender...

anyway, tomorrow i'm gonna go try more dumb jets and fuck with the stupid timing more. this shit better work...my tomos needs a day off.

Re: fuuuuuck, mopeds r hard....

derek from black pipes moped gang 🌧 /

Whenever I’m feeling like that I find it’s best to just walk away, eat a nice sandwich or something and come back to it later. Suddenly everything falls into place

kevin Smellaflange /

my good'o'H-D has 48k on it's 103 hp little self.

mopeds are like an easy day off in france, w/an av7

i walked away like every 10 minutes and ate a whole family size baldino, nothing.....

It sounds like timing, although I didn't really read much of the post because I got excited when I saw Brent had a comment.

I know the hpi's can be little tricky because its a little counter-intuitive.

I take long breaks from working on peds, sometimes you come back and its glorious other times you want to pick the moped up and throw it in the trash.

good luck e50s are great. (edited)

seriously it takes up sooooo much more time than you expect

like you're thinking oh I just gotta go put this ignition on the bike, time it and go rip, that's like 30 minutes, then I can work on fixing the petcock on the other one and get some brakes on the last one, be a good day of work!

and then you get out there and it turns out some shit in the coil is grounded out somewhere and it takes ou an hour of taking it on and off to realize theres some missing plastic washer in the points or whatever, and so you give up and fix the ptcock on the next one but the o-ring's corrded and cracking so you dig through 80 different O-rings you keep in a pile of every single size on the planet except the one you need and then you think OK well at least brakes are easy and you get in there and the drum winds up binding on the hub because the axle's not spaced right and you spend the next hour rebuilding your wheel and repacking the bearings and you're now several hours deeper in than you expected and basically no closer to finished!

Tri-ped Dave O.D.B. /

What? It took me two days to put an S&S 1250 kit on my 73 XLCH chopper. 20 minutes to 70 kit my Grand Prix Bat. Mopeds is ez

hahaha

i know exactly what you mean... i spent no less than 6 hours getting the float height correct on a honda aero 80 because i was trying to make the wrong china dio clone carb float and needle work instead of spending $6 on a new float needle. Took the carb off and on at least 20 times adjusting it incrementally. turns out the correct float height between 'wont come off the seat' and 'wont seal' is about +/- .020"

then some days you go out to the garage and slap together an e50 in 30 minutes and have it on the bike and running.

DUDE! GRAHM! i now have 2, rather different, trac intakes. the one i got off you was quite a bit different than my other one. same shape/different casting. that blew my mind.

i think my clutch be draggin...idk..getting closer, timing/jetting wise. no airleaks. e50s fuckin hate me! i should just build a new vespa motor....they always work 1st try...

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account