Know anything about fork lock keys?

Alexandro Ramirez-Nagy /

I recently got a new vespa grande super deluxe ( only 675 miles on it!) and the owner didn't have the fork lock key. The lock seems to be near perfect and I was wondering if I would just have to get a new key cut or if I could do what I did with my old Tomos Targa LX and just use a blank key. Anything's helpful.

Re: Know anything about fork lock keys?

try a local locksmith, they are like magicians who can do anything when it comes to locks and keys.

Josiah Radebaugh /

My question is how hard would it be to have a key made to use the lock again..

Alexandro Ramirez-Nagy /
1935 OP

probably not very but, I'm being a miser about it.

Dirty30 Dillon /

You can pay a locksmith to make one, but given your area and the smith's access to a key blank, you probably would end up spending $50-100 to have a security feature that isn't really stopping a full grown person from just lifting the wheel and walking away with it.

Josiah Radebaugh /

^If I am to ever replace the lock or get a key it deffinitly isn't for security. There are a lot of ways that someone could destroy the lock and take it. Or just pick it up. The only reason I'd want the lock to work is to have the bike more complete.

Alexandro Ramirez-Nagy /
1935 OP

Same, I'd also use it to prank you. I'd tell you to go and get the grande and watch you be confused for a half second on why the front wheel doesn't turn.

I am a locksmith. If I remember correctly, most moped fork locks are pin tumbler instead of wafer, which makes them kind of annoying to impression (impressioning is one of the more commonly used methods of making a key to fit a lock), assuming you have the correct blank (and that would be a big IF for a vintage moped).

Honestly, I would take it to a locksmith shop, and have them pick it to the open position so that you can remove the old lock, and then just buy a new one that comes with keys from treats or eBay or wherever and install that. Having it picked is going to be WAY cheaper than getting it impressioned.

Bad Cadillac™ /

It would be cheaper to buy a new one lock with 2 keys, then call a locksmith.

They are easy to drill out and replace, I did my Si, Grande and Magnum.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account