Quiet performance pipe?

Well I fugged up... tricked up my Bravo a little bit. 13:13 dellarto carb. # 64 jet , proma circuit pipe. I love the sound. But I didn't think about my little guy who loves his Vespa. It scares the crap out of him! Won't get near it.

Can anyone tell me if there is a " quiet " performance pipe I can put on it? Bumming....

Re: Quiet performance pipe?

Techno speedy +++ pipe is pretty sick. Also the gianelli fire is a lot quieter than a proma and performs better too.

Captain Janeway /

There is the expression "loud pipes save lives," but I'd like a quiet pipe too. I don't think there are any.

Other thing that could cause noise is your carb depending on the type of airbox. Those little pod air filters make for a loud carb. I have a SHA carb on mine and had to build a big old air box to help cut the noise. It was making my ears ring for days before.

kevin Smellaflange /

what did your DEL carb box look like?

pic's please CAPTAIN.

Captain Janeway /

Brad William /

I put tecno hunter on my newport. i expected it to be louder than stock, of course, but it was quite a bit louder. One of the positive things about mopeds, for me, is that they are unobtrusive, non threatening. I appreciate the fact that i can jump the cue of cars and motorcyles wherever i go, lean the ped against a tree or even a bike rack, and am met with nothing but smiles. you lose that freedom almost entirely with a loud pipe.

I tig welded a small riding mower muffler to the rear flange of the pipe. Made sure it was tucked up close to the frame and painted flat black, its nearly invisible unless youre looking for it. huge difference in sound. no differece in performance that i could tell. the add on muffler was designed to ventilate up to about 500cc on a mower so for the e50 its basically pass through in terms of back pressure.

I tried the little hot dog shaped push-mower muffler first of course. Four bucks, common as dirt at any hardware store, 1/2 npt threaded end. It did nothing at all for quiet. (edited)

Most of your noise with a proma is thru the thin metal of the pipe itself.

Wrap it in exhaust wrap. Will cut volume by 50%

As well swap the silencer to a better one.

All pipes can be quiet, just have to work a little bit for it

Techno Estoril is quietest perf pipe I've heard.

> Captain Janeway Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> There is the expression "loud pipes save lives," but I'd like a quiet

> pipe too. I don't think there are any.

No "big carbs save lives"!

Yea the tecno sidebleed pipe is ridicules quite. It just makes a light humming sound. I can definitely ride at night now and nobody will be mad. And the performance is all there, bottom end in unbelievable ( clutch slipping).

Impressive carb box Captain!

Captain Janeway /

> Les B. Wrote:

> Impressive carb box Captain!

Thanks. Design stolen from the Cox Brothers. That long tube from the carb to the box took close to 10 mph off top speed though. Now only goes 40+ mph instead of 50+. I can live with that. You can only go so fast across town anyway and I live in an urban area.

The Weakend's pipe isn't quiet, but it isn't deafening. It was the tiny stock airbox for the SHA that did it.

> JBOT Admin Wrote:

> Most of your noise with a proma is thru the thin metal of the pipe

> itself.

>

> Wrap it in exhaust wrap. Will cut volume by 50%

>

> As well swap the silencer to a better one.

>

> All pipes can be quiet, just have to work a little bit for it

This is what I have done to both of the promas on my Vespas. It cuts the noise in half.

Captain Janeway /

> - Joe - Wrote:

>

> This is what I have done to both of the promas on my Vespas. It cuts the

> noise in half.

Ever cover another pipe like this one with a stinger?

https://www.treatland.tv/MLM-honda-urban-express-NU50-H95-side-bleed-pipe-p/mlm-pipe-h95-522.htm

> JBOT Admin Wrote:

> Most of your noise with a proma is thru the thin metal of the pipe

> itself.

>

> Wrap it in exhaust wrap. Will cut volume by 50%

>

> As well swap the silencer to a better one.

>

> All pipes can be quiet, just have to work a little bit for it

what type of silencer do you recommend? is it a chop and weld job?

Fmf are pretty good.

The issue is the perf tube

When that inside tubes holes are too small they simply do not work. I redo the interior of my silencers sometimes and use tube with holes at least 3/16in. Those 1/16 perf tubes don't silence for shit. Yeah ya gotta weld it. Shit flux core is fine

The difference is night and day,

+1 on the Fire pipe. Sweet pipe and much quieter. Mount is more intelligent as well, and the baffle won't fall off.

> JBOT Admin Wrote:

> Fmf are pretty good.

>

> The issue is the perf tube

>

> When that inside tubes holes are too small they simply do not work. I

> redo the interior of my silencers sometimes and use tube with holes at

> least 3/16in. Those 1/16 perf tubes don't silence for shit. Yeah ya

> gotta weld it. Shit flux core is fine

>

> The difference is night and day,

ill have to try that on my magnum, with the hobbit im working on i was gonna go with the MLM peoples side bleed. id like the tecno sidebleed pipe (as it seems to be the agreed upon quiet+proformance) but im not sure how the fit is for a hobbit.

Dirty30 Dillon /

I find the Estoril end bleed to be quieter, especially if you end up opening the adjustable end bleed at all.

Either way, Les is looking for Vespa pipes. The Gianelli fire is great. Doesn't have the tin sound of the proma.

the stock silencer from the kx 65 is real good, but its pretty big

Will the kx65 silencer fit the Proma pipe Graham? I'm kinda worried about putting wrap on the pipe cause of the heat.

I used a cr85 silencer on my si and a ktm65sx on my grande. The cr85 was a bit quieter than the ktm. Both were hack and weld.

> Les B. Wrote:

> Will the kx65 silencer fit the Proma pipe Graham? I'm kinda worried

> about putting wrap on the pipe cause of the heat.

no, its made for a kx 65 not a moped

its mopeds nothing fits anything.

Yes be careful with the heat from the wrap omg.

Lol ITS MEANT FIR EXHAUSTS

trust us

This topic remind me to paint another coat on my exhaust just now

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account