Electric moped build?

Rodney Mopedfield /

So I really want to build an electric Maxi cause I've always wanted to dip my feet in that realm. Have any of you out there converted a ped to electric? I have a plan to dev/fab my own frame and build from there. I know ranges are still primitive but that torque is so nice. :)

Also I have been studying this article on the subject matter

https://www.electricbike.com/puch-moped-qs-hubmotor/

Re: Electric moped build?

kevin Smellaflange /

iv'e seen some bultaco electric bikes that were very torque beastly monsters.

in a project that i would entertain would have to have 3 elements.

peddle ability in multiple gears.

lighter weight 2 stroke av7 variated 70cc motor.

1000wt / 1200wt hub in back & matching in front

you need the same tire size ft & back.

this build would probably weight around 185lbs

I'd use a motobecane 50v frame, its a lot lighter (remove rear fender), the tank has a support inside it for more stability if you cut it open and put batteries inside (still weld a frame brace though) , I think the swingarm would be better than a puchs for a hub motor (or better yet use a pug 103's swingarm), and it has the triangle toolbox space for a controller and whatnot.

Josiah Radebaugh /

What about a 40T frame? Dont they weigh like 90lbs all together?

will d posted a garelli electric conversion thread awhile back, pretty slick.

kevin Smellaflange /

the cops would'nt looking it's way...

it would be a great bug-out ride...

Darrel is going to use it on ''the strolling life challenged''....NO REALLY.LOL

Emil Kniemel /

Would be pretty interesting to do a maxi/moped equivalent of what shanghai customs is doing for the cub:

https://www.sh-customs.com/store/product/47

Essentially if you have a maxi (or other ubiquitous moped) frame, they sell you a kit to make it electric. Very $$$ tho.

kevin Smellaflange /

i've thought that front drive melded w/ a rear drive gives a dual purpose rig...

ie; rokon auto-ish

street legal like a moped.

Overpriced Parts /

Y

Will D already proved that the idea sucks. But if your set on having a learning experience then its justifiable. I'd ride the shit out of an electric Crf though.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.engadget.com/amp/2019/03/23/honda-cr-electric-dirt-bike/ (edited)

dims.jpeg.jpg

Cuz fuck you, that’s y.

todd amundson /

What is this and is it worth $75? Has pedals and motor but not one marking.

7D899CBB-8315-484F-8C2D-AFABB7EEE3FC.jpeg

The small of a 50 dollar bill might make it yours . ;)

Josiah Radebaugh /

^I'd put an engine on it. Vespa would prolly fit nice.

kevin Smellaflange /

it wasn't very useful, or it would have been ridin' the rust off the forks a little bit...the bush behind it makes the rust bucket stand out nice...lol.

Puch actually made an electric concept apparently, back in the day.

I feel like I was just talking about this in another thread like Friday. I thought this was it.

Electric's cool. it's not cheap at all. but you can go really fast reliably and only use electric power. If you're in the market for an electric bike converting one outta a moped is a great idea. if you're in the market for cheap transportation, electric doesn't win at all.

Those cub conversions are cool, bt holy shit only 1kW and cost as much as a new complete build, ouch. but very sexy option. still - you could DIY that with better specs at the same cost or less.

that puch you linked I kinda hate the style but some good info in that write up. building your own battery saves a lotta money but it also takes some stuff most folks don't have access too, which cuts your savings right away. namely the spot welder and a battery capacity tester. The battery and circuit design is pretty great in that tutorial too, though the soldered copper wire on top of the nickel I doubt is worth it and I worry about it poking holes... also 81V at 85A is fucking bonkers, especially into a hub motor. That's gonna roach the controller and motor right quick but it's still cool as hell.

A 20" BMX hub motor built wheel is same size as a moped 16" wheel. on a maxi that takes 17's you can get like a 2.5 or 2.75 tire on the 16 (20in) rim and it'd look pretty good i'd guess.

here's mine: I did it cheap and shitty, it was a spare frame and more of a proof of concept type build. it'd be easily done better but you start spending lots on batteries especially. Also big take-away, get reputable batteries. Even Samsung's from ebay they'll slip in shitty clones, no way to know without testing each individual capacity.

https://www.mopedarmy.com/forums/read.php?1,4228129

Garlic.JPG

kevin Smellaflange /

there's a guy on u-boob that electrifies a ct90.

it might be worth a peek...i did just now...it was do-able.

Yea I just saw a pair of electric S90s the other day too. and no I don't mean the whacky "Capital Z" shaped concept thing...

it was nice and I see the appeal but shit, fuckers are not cheap

Rick Bergsma /
« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account