Honda Motocompo / R7E alternatives?

For those who don't know what a Honda Motocompo is you should watch

this video that Mighty Car Mods made. I am based in the US and we never got these, the ones that are here are well above $3,000 when on eBay. The R7E moped existed in the late 90s, but I can't find that for $3,000 or below.

The reason I want something in this form factor is that it would allow me to bring this inside my apartment, which requires stairs to get to, or transport in my car easily, something that isn't possible with the FA50. While electric foldable bikes exist, I ride all year, and even when it is cold out, so batteries aren't really an option for me.

I was thinking of welding a frame together and getting one of those cheap eBay bike kits paired with 10" rims to get a similarly sized result, though I would have to get it registered somehow and would need a full light system on it. Otherwise, does anyone know a motorized bike that is road legal and with a similar dimension size of the Motocompo?

Re: Honda Motocompo / R7E alternatives?

There was a DiBlasi R7E for sale in Orlando last month; I almost bought it but didn't have room for it. He was asking $500.

I have an Italjet KitKat which is very similar to a Moto Compo. There are a lot of folding bikes out there; I know Motobecane made one and there are a good number of Italian foldables

$500? I have only known about it due to the forums, I rarely get to see something like that ever listed locally by me. Would probably be broke if I lived in an area that was warm year round.

Looks like I would need to buy vintage then as it looks like the foldable mopeds I've seen aren't made anymore. Hopefully this summer I can scratch something here in the Twin Cities

Peugeot gt10 or mini maxi? (edited)

Pretty sure the GT10 was a Europe only moped?

I think the Mini Maxi isn't that much smaller compared to my FA50, reminds me of a QT50.

How many stairs do you have, I get my qt 50 into my apt, only one flight though.

Since it is a duplex, it is 4 stairs to get into the shared lobby and another 9 after you enter my door to get onto the main level of the apartment. The shared lobby is where I planned on leaving it for a majority of the time. (edited)

Dirty30 Dillon /

Good luck carrying a motocompo up and down stairs. Maybe invest in extra $800+ plastic sets in advance.

Italjet Pack series or DiBlasi are the only similar sized compact bikes.

> JP Suli Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Since it is a duplex, it is 4 stairs to get into the shared lobby and

> another 9 after you enter my door to get onto the main level of the

> apartment. The shared lobby is where I planned on leaving it for a

> majority of the time.

4 stairs should not be too bad? Get a small grill cover so people don't mess with it in the lobby? I would recommend a Diblassi, but they are hard to find, not to mention with the roads around here I would be worried about the potholes swallowing you whole. How much does the FA weigh, my QT is the easiest to haul up the stairs, but it is still a drag, but 4 steps should be easy, maybe build a small ramp from 1/2 inch plywood and roll her up?

I've found that the lobby area for my duplex isn't wide enough to hold my FA50 for long enough periods of time, the handlebars are far too wide and would make the door in the lobby unable to open or restrict one apartment from entering. The bikes that are kept inside are usually road bicycles, thin enough to not bother anyone coming in and out. For the FA50, most definitely I would need to build a ramp up the stairs as there isn't a way for me to carry it effectively.

My route, as long as I am not doing deliveries, does not change. I already know where potholes are, and I can only think of 1 spot where an 8-inch tire would cause an issue.

While I wouldn't bring in the moped every day, being able to bring it in when the weather is bad or I need to fix it would be nice. Fitting the moped in my car is really my main goal. My little sedan could bring my FA50 back and forth on the roof rack but that is pretty sketchy, otherwise, it would mean disassembly and I would be it would be a squeeze. I think what I'll do is make this a summer project for myself and design a little scooter similar to Motocompo if something doesn't turn up.

If I go that route, I may as well throw in a Lifan 125cc. Otherwise, it may be an eBay 2-stroke kit or something I can find at a junkyard. Hopefully, I can find something that doesn't require any modification for 12V

Dirty30 Dillon /

There were a few listed options on this page. Give Dos Cycles a call if you are serious, they have a few options for Micro Bikes, last time I spoke with them.

But I will admit, the motocompo is pretty awkward to carry given that the OG plastics are hen's teeth and there is no easy way to lift it without stressing them in some way. They are very fun bikes to ride, just the collect-ability/pricing factor means it's viability as an option is low.

I forgot about DOS cycles. While their website doesn't have anything that catches my fancy, I will make sure to keep an eye out as they aren't that expensive. I am not against buying any of the options, I'd prefer an already complete solution.

Though making something from scratch would allow me to modify it any way I see fit. Parts would be more readily available, assuming I use a newer engine.

Looking at the Motocompo, I always thought the plastic didn't provide any support on the handles. (edited)

Dirty30 Dillon /

> JP Suli Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I forgot about DOS cycles. While their website doesn't have anything

> that catches my fancy, I will make sure to keep an eye out as they

> aren't that expensive. I am not against buying any of the options, I'd

> prefer an already complete solution.

>

> Though making something from scratch would allow me to modify it any way

> I see fit. Parts would be more readily available, assuming I use a newer

> engine.

>

> Looking at the Motocompo, I always thought the plastic didn't provide

> any support on the handles.

Email Dos, they only have about 1% of their bikes listed on the site.

The handles are indeed part of the frame, but when you are actually carrying the bike, it's really hard to not have a portion of the bike's weight sandwiched against your body. And the plastics aren't the most indestructible part of that bike.

really any mopeds probably shouldn't be kept inside a building, especially in a common area... they leak gas, oil, smell bad... it breaks like every single fire code in the entire world.

are you sure you have no outdoor storage options? maybe even a parking garage nearby you can lock it up in.

the e-bikes or electric assist bicycles are getting really good these days, maybe start looking into some of them.

My bikes niether leak or smell bad, but yeah it is against code, but my apt caretaker is cool with it, electric is ideal for inside, just not for winter. Maybe invest in a small van to keep them in?

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account