Re: Moped VS Electric bicycle

Born to be WillD /
This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

I made an electric moped, it was expensive and slow and had no chance of being cost effective, but was definitely still pretty great. In the end I converted it back to gas. It's much faster and very much less reliable.

To go as fast on an electric would be around 2 grand vs the maybe 500 in parts it uses on gas, and the amount it gets ridden it would be around 10 years of commuting before the electric really breaks even, if the batteries lasted that long

Still, for commutes and short jaunts it was definitely fun easy and effortless.

Personally I like the electric mopeds like onyx and Monday over the e bikes, mostly for the suspension and braking, power, and riding capacity that I come to appreciate. Longer lasting components like tires, actual streetable lights etc.

To do it again I'd probably build a moped frame with a lunacycle kit and go at least 48v and over 1.5kw, and tryn keep range around 20mi to save on battery needs

This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account