Moped VS Electric bicycle

I know I may get some flack for this post, but I believe a lot of people are into mopeds for the freedom they provide for example no insurance, you can maintain them yourself , ease of parking etc. etc.

It seems that the electric bicycle offers many of the same virtues. Does anyone have a opinion on this ? Any particular electric bike they prefer?

Thank you,

Re: Moped VS Electric bicycle

They just started making electric mopeds a few years back, but they’re very expensive and lots of people here will say they love the feel of a 2 stroke, the smell, the ease of not waiting for a charge when you could just put gas in and keep on going etc. I think the electric scene is growing and I’d like to have one to try it out, especially that one from onyx that goes 60mph our of the box haha

I made an electric moped, it was expensive and slow and had no chance of being cost effective, but was definitely still pretty great. In the end I converted it back to gas. It's much faster and very much less reliable.

To go as fast on an electric would be around 2 grand vs the maybe 500 in parts it uses on gas, and the amount it gets ridden it would be around 10 years of commuting before the electric really breaks even, if the batteries lasted that long

Still, for commutes and short jaunts it was definitely fun easy and effortless.

Personally I like the electric mopeds like onyx and Monday over the e bikes, mostly for the suspension and braking, power, and riding capacity that I come to appreciate. Longer lasting components like tires, actual streetable lights etc.

To do it again I'd probably build a moped frame with a lunacycle kit and go at least 48v and over 1.5kw, and tryn keep range around 20mi to save on battery needs

kevin Smellaflange /

a better solar charger....

50 cadence ( easy ) = 1/2 of full, something great like that.

but gas & diesel engines will never go out...

the human race will, the higher up people ( agent orange #45 ) types will probably get things going in the

( end of days ) direction long before gas not harvested anymore. lol

i remember back in 1903 when people were like 'internal combustion engines are noisy, un-reliable, you have to go to a drugstore to buy gas in 1 quart bottles, and then you're driving around with fire liquid in a tank, i'm gonna stick to horses that just eat grass and poop everywhere'

Douglas Binder /

Graham, you must be really old! :-)

I have an electric bike which will go faster than I want to go, needs to be charged every three days for my 15 mile round trip commute, and is quite reliable. I also have two electric cars for my wife and I. When it's time to tinker and experiment, that's when the moped comes out. What a great platform to play with. Reasonably inexpensive (unless you go nuts like I'm doing) and a large number of aftermarket options. They all have their place.

If you ride e-bikes, you’ll miss out on the feeling of the performance pipe kicking in and blasting off.

> Drew Willis Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> If you ride e-bikes, you’ll miss out on the feeling of the performance

> pipe kicking in and blasting off.

That's replaced by just blasting off as soon as you twist the throttle thanks to that instant torque

Andrew Squiggman /

> Drew Willis Wrote:

> If you ride e-bikes, you’ll miss out on the feeling of the performance

> pipe kicking in and blasting off.

Electric is infinitely more powerful than gas.

TOP GUN™ ANDY ⚔ (LSLB) ⚔ /

My boss electrified his old Surly steamroller and it cost him about 1200 bucks. He got a Lunacycles mid-drive motor (the one what bolts to the bottom bracket) and drives the big cog.

It's not as fun as my colibri, but it's definitely fun

Nothing is infinite :-)

But how long does that torque last before you gotta plug it in and wait? I can roll up to the gas station and premix, then blast all day.

> Drew Willis Wrote:

> But how long does that torque last before you gotta plug it in and wait?

> I can roll up to the gas station and premix, then blast all day.

Yeah, batteries are the limiting factor for now, but in 10-20 years it'll be a different story. I'm on a race team that builds an electric motorcycle and competes at Pikes Peak and the Isle of Man. We ran out of batteries at Pikes Peak in 2017 due to some last minute power increases we implemented and still placed ahead of most of the gas bikes and cars at the race. Electrics are the future and they are ridiculously fast.

i'd also put luna's sur ron light bee in there, it's pretty much an electric dirtbike, rocking like 8hp which is inline with a well kitted moped, and it's only like $3500 which is pretty much cheap as dirt compared to anything comparable. it's totally not street legal but neither would a kitted moped be techinically... so you find some wiggle room in the gray area and rip dicks on electric dirt bikes. There's presumably a more stree legalified version already coming out in the EU (pic).

And all for the super low bargain basement price of only about 3 times the price of an equivalent moped.

Emil Kniemel /

I really like the Onyx bike and when I see videos of it, I think "wow looks cool. would possibly switch from mopeds." but then i realize its cool cause of the music and IRL there isnt any sound coming from those bikes.

i think thats what i will miss most once electric takes over.

> Emil Kniemel Wrote:

> I really like the Onyx bike and when I see videos of it, I think "wow

> looks cool. would possibly switch from mopeds." but then i realize its

> cool cause of the music and IRL there isnt any sound coming from those

> bikes.

>

> i think thats what i will miss most once electric takes over.

Electrics actually sound pretty sweet; it's a hell of a lot quieter no doubt but still sounds cool.

Here's what our electric race bike sounds like, listen from 1:50 until like 2:10 (the siren is mandated by races for electrics so people can hear us coming):

Emil Kniemel /

> Nick Haber Wrote:

> > Emil Kniemel Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > I really like the Onyx bike and when I see videos of it, I think "wow

>

> > looks cool. would possibly switch from mopeds." but then i realize

> its

>

> > cool cause of the music and IRL there isnt any sound coming from those

>

> > bikes.

>

> >

>

> > i think thats what i will miss most once electric takes over.

>

> Electrics actually sound pretty sweet; it's a hell of a lot quieter no

> doubt but still sounds cool.

>

> Here's what our electric race bike sounds like, listen from 1:50 until

> like 2:10 (the siren is mandated by races for electrics so people can

> hear us coming):

>

>

You must be really accustomed to hearing something because to the layman it sounds like.. almost nothing. I do hear the siren which seems annoying as well.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account