Re: 82 NU50 Modding total noob with Mechanic

Jack Rutherford /

the forum is starving for urban express news

do it yourself instead of wasting moneys. yer gonna break down. better to know how to fix it when that happenz....

i would not pay a mechanic 40 bucks to fix a tank...fill it up with nutz and boltz. shake and rinse. or just get a gud tank from somebody....i cant imagine a good tank being more than $40 here.....not like its a pretty top tank tank

William Burgan /

Thanks Harvey very awesome! I guess it’s time to do some shopping.

William Burgan /

I think I will do everything myself between the manual, YouTube (churioz26 has some great videos), and this forum. I can figure everything out on my little bike. I think getting out the liner / rust with vinegar chain bolts etc... will work well enough. Ordered in line fuel filter, and petcock yesterday (I flooding the engine was one major prob I was having before, need to get one for my wife’s scooter as well (1983 Honda Aero). Should have both nu50 parts by Monday. Hopefully, ax31, circuit pipe, 90 jet, 39 grams in variator, gy6 clutch (with red malossi, and yellow springs), new air and fuel filters, petcock, new battery, and cleaned carb with new o ring will at least run decently. Then I can take project by project, tank, decarboning engine (replacing seals), testing different jets, hopefully getting it tuned right. May have to walk back some of the upgrades if they don’t play nice and get stock running well (as suggested). Appreciate all the feedback helps me a bunch.

William Burgan /

Took my wife’s Aero for a spin. Took some pics for ya’ll.

A513BC25-1A92-4F3E-ABDF-D1CDA9BF6FE6.jpeg

https://ibb.co/wwD1b9P

https://ibb.co/fDqJ6Hw

https://ibb.co/fY39D2n

https://ibb.co/z812w6s

Captain Janeway /

Oh, make sure when you clean that tank you don't use your petcock as a plug to hold the vinegar. It will chew up the rubber gaskets.

Honestly, just get it running stock first. You're jumping in on too many things at once. Slap them on in one go and wonder what the problem is when it doesn't start or blows up. Run standard for a few hundo miles. Then add pipe and upjet and run a hundo. Then the variator weights and run some more. You get the idea.

Captain Janeway /

> Ryan Graeme Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Honestly, just get it running stock first. You're jumping in on too many

> things at once. Slap them on in one go and wonder what the problem is

> when it doesn't start or blows up. Run standard for a few hundo miles.

> Then add pipe and upjet and run a hundo. Then the variator weights and

> run some more. You get the idea.

Amen to this. SO much easier to troubleshoot as you add parts when you start with a clean base.

It also lets you begin to see and understand what parts have what impact and the way that no one singular part can work best without the other supporting modifications to help it.

William Burgan /

I’ll check with mechanic on Monday and see what’s been done and what needs to be done to put back to stock. Last I saw the clutch was done albeit without the yellow spring. Will update when I learn more. Thanks for all the feedback.

> William Burgan Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Took my wife’s Aero for a spin. Took some pics for ya’ll.

>

> https://ibb.co/wwD1b9P

>

> https://ibb.co/fDqJ6Hw

>

> https://ibb.co/fY39D2n

>

> https://ibb.co/z812w6s

^ That is a great bike!

William Burgan /

Thanks, looking forward to getting urban back hopefully tomorrow. Will add pics of that one as well. Learning a lot.

Jimmy Cincinnati /

Yeah that Aero is a good bike. My father got a couple beater Honda Sprees last year and they are a blast to ride. I think the Aero's are the faster version of the spree. WHat will be sad is when you realize that stock Aero is whooping up on your modified Urban haha.

Jack Rutherford /

yeah I had an 85 Aero 50. That was a nice bike. Wish I still had it.

William Burgan /

Right, my wife will be blowing past me. Hopefully she’ll slow down a bit for me.

William Burgan /

Just to update. Spoke to mechanic he’s going leave stock pipe on finish the carb cleaning with new o ring, ax31, and button everything back up. He’s already added the gy6 clutch (with stock contra spring). Not sure if I wanna ask him to put stock clutch back in or try out gy6. Correct yellow contra spring should be in mail today. Also got in line fuel filters and petcock to add as well. Any advice on what to do with clutch? Everything else is stock now.

Captain Janeway /

Go ahead a leave the mod on the clutch. You should be able to balance everything with it on. It will seem slower off a stop because those red springs are much stiffer than stock

The yellow contra spring is much stiffer than that stock one too. Even I can compress the stock one. I had a tool built for the others (though most of these guys can still do those by hand too).

William Burgan /

Thanks.

William Burgan /

Update: I went by and spoke to the mechanic. He’s going to add yellow contra spring to gy6 clutch, add ax31 belt (relunctantly), finish up carb with o ring, install new stock air filter, and reinstall stock pipe. I removed the gas tank while I was there to take home and clean up. I worked a little on it. Looks like bad sealant job from previous owner. I got a huge chunk out but still lots of floppy nonsense in there. Planning on working on removing sealant tomorrow. One online recommendation was paint thinner. Any others from ya’ll. I was thinking trying detergent/vinegar/wd40 as well. Instructions I read said to fill will premix when done. I’m assuming I’ll need to drain that after I reinstall tank. Thanks I’m advance for any help.

Oh yeah, belt was down to 10mm very worn out (frayed and notches dulled). Will update with pics when I get everything back. Likely reason for low performance, I’m thinking. (edited)

1A946930-2FB0-49FF-9BAF-1B2C6C50F67C.jpeg
B304A48C-6397-4318-A5A8-537A961A0315.jpeg

Captain Janeway /

That wiki written for moped as far as the premix comment. If you're using straight gas because you still have your injector in, just get gas in. The point is to prevent the tank from starting to rust again because the iron will start oxidizing once you drain it out.

From experience, it's a little easier to get that tank back on the bike without the petcock in it. You may want to time getting that tank fixed about the time you go to mechanic

Make the manual you're friend and you'll save tons of money.

You can coat the tank with 2T oil , without any gasoline , after cleaning .

The small amount of oil in the gas , once you fill the tank , over and above what may or may not be 'normal' won't hurt a thing .

In fact , 2T oil is a great fuel preservative/stabilizer . You might notice a bit more smoke out the exhaust while running the motor .

William Burgan /

Update: finished tank today.

Short Version of Process: started last Saturday.

Saturday morning bought gloves glasses mask 1 gallon acetone. Back to house taped up tank with premium (frog) painters tape (extra around cap) filled with acetone. Let sit couple hours, turned upside down, let sit couple more hours. My improvised wine cork/tape plug for petcock hole failed. When I returned after about 4 hours seal on cap had failed and nasty kreem / acetone was all over porch steps. I cleaned up steps and looked inside with mini mag. I then went back to Lowe’s and bought another gallon of acetone (16$ a piece btw), a couple pieces of chain (non zinc plated) 1 ft a piece, a couple rubber stopped and a tiny cork. Rubber stoppers didn’t fit. But tiny cork after a little sanding worked perfectly. Fill with strained remained of original acetone and full new 1 gallon can and pieces of chain. Shook like a crazy person. Let sit on each side about 4 hrs. Continued this process for about 3 days. Emptied and strained once halfway. Only small black particles and small kreem particles left in strainer. Shook like crazy on all sides about 5-8 times a day. Thursday emptied and sprayed out with power washer. Baking soda rinsed. Then filled to brim with vinegar and capped. Let sit with vinegar until today Thursday- Wednesday. Poured out contents today. Lot of nastiness in vinegar. Power washed, Baking soda rinsed. Dried with hair dryer. Inside clean as a pin completely silver no sign of rust outside a tiny bit inside cap at top under locking mechanism. Broke locking mechanism along the way (didn’t seem to work anymore anyway. Added back petcock (turned to off). Poured about 1/4 cup of 2T oil and swished all around. Lastly filled up with gas. Whew! What a pain. But worked!

1058FE15-8FC8-4CB1-8059-B75A285EFC93.jpeg

Captain Janeway /

Congrats!

Here's the replacement gasket for that cap. I've swapped them on a couple of my bikes too

https://www.treatland.tv/original-OEM-honda-rubber-gasket-p/rubber-gasket-17631-096-701.htm

William Burgan /

Thanks. Hopefully will have another big update tomorrow on overall health / performance of bike.

William Burgan /

Got most parts I need but I have a quick question about torque wrenches. I got one from Harbor Freight for super cheap 3/8 5-80 which based on the manual seems to cover most everything but the moveable face seals. The only other wrench I’ve found that handles less than 5 ft lbs is the beam type. Should I get another torque wrench just for those?

F9C85EF3-DF37-4ABA-8EAD-B4711454B24C.jpeg

Use your hand. Those are just tiny things.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account