A35 or A50?

Hello! First post i just joined today! Sorry in advance, please be patient I'm new to mopeds and engines. I bought this tomos to fix up and make my daily rider to work and into town.

I cant tell what engine it has though. There's 4 screws from the intake to the engine. The silver part of the engine says a3 and the black part says a52. Hopefully this is a good starting point.

Also is the lx and Targa lx the same thing? This has been confusing me.

Ps , there's no carb cuz I'm cleaning it at the moment

20190320_174336.jpg
20190320_174345.jpg

Re: A35 or A50?

I have read some posts on this but every one has a different opinion.

Brandon Weiss (Detective brandon to you) /

Welcome! That's an A35 engine you have there. The "A52" identifies the case, which can be either A55 or A35. You can read all about Tomos here:

https://www.mopedarmy.com/wiki/Category:Tomos

Edit: Upon closer inspection, that appears to be the original 50cc cylinder, not an aftermarket! Zoomed in a bit to see it.

In addition, your exhaust is missing the baffle, which you probably want to replace. (edited)

Thank you so much! I've been looking everywhere for all of that info in link!

Yes, Targa LX and LX are both the same. Tomos has to drop the Targa name because Porsche owns the rights to it. You also have an A35 engine too. (edited)

Also referred to as the TTLX.

So many names lol

I'm gonna be taking the engine apart to clean and accssess the damage tomorrow. it sounds like brake cleaner is my best bet? Also im removing all the lights. can I just cut the wires at the source and tape the nub or will that mess with the eletric some how?

I'm assuming the brake cleaner and clipping the wires will work?

Don't snip the wires. There are connectors, you just have to unplug them.

> Matt Turner Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> So many names lol

>

> I'm gonna be taking the engine apart to clean and accssess the damage

> tomorrow. it sounds like brake cleaner is my best bet? Also im removing

> all the lights. can I just cut the wires at the source and tape the nub

> or will that mess with the eletric some how?

>

> I'm assuming the brake cleaner and clipping the wires will work?

You're gonna have a daily rider with no lights?

Jimmy Cincinnati /

I'm assuming the brake cleaner and clipping the wires will work?

People that cut electrical wires on a bike when "fixing it" need to pay someone to fix it. That engine should only have 2 wires coming off the stator so just unplug them.

My plan is to replace the headlight brake light and rear blinkers with LED bicycle lights. That way they're extremely bright. I'm only concerned about blinkers for at night and only the rear ones. I live in the country so I can point during the day.

As far as the wires, I kind of assumed that if the kill switch wasn't plugged in it would mess with the ability to start the bike.

Josiah Radebaugh /

Why not just keep the electrics it has?

And I'm already out on the ridiculousness of this thread. let's replace working electrics with bicycle shit that's not even DOT approved. Everyone wants to reinvent the wheel.

kevin Smellaflange /

welcome to the ARMY son.

you've been drafted...@ least you'll feel the draft...lol

Jimmy Cincinnati /

Dont waste your time on changing the lights. Put that effort / money into a new exhaust and actually enjoy that bike. I bet you could spend a couple hours on it (not remove the motor) and get it to a rideable point now. You drop that motor off and start replacing everything it will never see the street again. I have bought many a moped where someone tried to do everything all at once then lost interest.

> Matt Turner Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> My plan is to replace the headlight brake light and rear blinkers with

> LED bicycle lights. That way they're extremely bright. I'm only

> concerned about blinkers for at night and only the rear ones. I live in

> the country so I can point during the day.

>

> As far as the wires, I kind of assumed that if the kill switch wasn't

> plugged in it would mess with the ability to start the bike.

Please don't use bicycle lights. What about brake lights? If you're set on LED's put LED bulbs in the existing housings.

Here's some I just found on Amazon.

Check your bulb part number before ordering though (edited)

campeona del mundo /

hahahahahahahahhahahahahaha this thread is awesome!! (edited)

there are only 3 desgnations that matter

A3- piston port, 70's-1992

A35- reed valve 93-2000's depending on model

A55- piston port big aluminum cylinder 2006-current

everything fits one of these engines, any other casting stamping numbers whatever on the engine are meaningless.

Thanks for the link nick!

My main reason for taking off the lights is that the wiring is all falling apart/broke, the bulbs are almost all broken, and the light covers and housings are broke or held on with tape so lol ya. Just don't wanna buy all that, it's to expencive.

As far as taking the engine apart I know it has compression issues so I'm planning on ( hopefully ) just cleaning everything and replacing the gaskets and o rings exc. It's half apart now and all the metal parts look good. Nasty but solid lol everything I've read about compression is talking about those things, am I misunderstanding?

If you have a compression issue make sure to check out your ring-a-ma-things. I put broken rings back in once cuz I'm stupid! Yay

Beginner tomos lx project

Again I'm new to this so I'm defiantly taking what everyone says into consideration. It also doesn't run right now, it kind of starts then stalls so I know I have to do some kind of tinkering on it.

FYI that cylinder is either a treats replacement from a late model a35 revival bike or it was swapped on as a used take-off by a previous owner.... in other words that bike has been apart and fuxed wit

Thanks graham, i had kinda thought so, wasnt sure.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account