Mo bat score

Guy on the other side of towns been trying to get me to buy this from him for a year now. We finally came down to a reasonable price. I’m not really into Batavus, but It was love at first ride. I adore this thing. It feels like a toy. The first time I ever saw one of these I thought it was some custom paint and decals someone had done to an hs50.. I got it running at the guys house with a carb cleaning, and poked some wire through the jet. It fired right up. He hadn’t seen it run in since the 90s. I’m rollin down his driveway ready to ride it home and he’s wait!” Don’t forget these” hands me a few books.. owners manual, Batavus maintenance book from eBay and the clymer publications Batavus moped book. (I’ve seen these on eBay before. They are great books full of useful info) In it was the registration from the last three times it was on the road, and the title! other than new tires, I’m going to keep it all original and bone stock. The only difference I can tell between the hs50 and the mo bat are the forks.. maybe something else?

64E46F57-19E6-4A8A-A3CE-09833C7B7A4A.jpeg
B52F962C-099E-4989-9E2B-D20D96CC5907.jpeg
7B3A7FE9-0421-49BD-9C87-329745EC87C2.jpeg

Re: Mo bat score

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

You done good!

Josiah Radebaugh /

Things Minty! Hows the forks? (edited)

Alexandro Ramirez-Nagy /

Proud, mo-bats are pretty darn lit.

Love that Top-Tank! Let her rip!

from the brochure

b2.jpg

Thanks guys! The forks work great. The picture makes it look better.. it’s crusty up close haha. I am stoked about it though. I’ve got another Batavus that I’m going to use as a parts bike. The wheels, engine, exhaust ect. The speedometer says 74 miles so the parts are pretty fresh. Side note the exhaust on the parts bike has a larger header.. my gut is telling me itll give me some more speed? Not to mention it’s not nearly as gummed up.

CC08E446-7C9E-41E1-BF6A-D7F977FF1113.jpeg
E6535C60-597D-434A-A2A7-D2B2ACCF8D2D.jpeg
7B04C57D-4B9D-46A7-BF58-18F9316B85B5.jpeg

The most annoying thing about the Laura 48 motor is the take off. The clutch grabs way too early and the motor cannot produce enough torque at such low rpm. Here is a neat trick to help that. The spring around the clutch that is filled with steel ball bearings unscrews open. Open it and replace every other steel ball with an aluminum one of the same size. This will lighten it and make it grab at a higher rpm, giving you much improved acceleration from stand still.

Noted!! Thanks for the tip. It’s definitely sluggish on the take off when it’s warmed up. The larger header from the parts bike seems to have added some top speed. I thing once everything is greased up again it’ll do a strong 30

Will any of the rear racks you find on other Batavus bolt on to this?

nice! i would probably have one if i found one. never seen one in person.

Best of luck finding any aluminum balls that exact size for the much preferred upgrade, hardware stores stock STEEL balls. Online only sadly, still be careful when ordering.

That 28mm header is the best swap and lucky you had one!!

For no reason should the mobat ever have been built with the 22mm one, as did mine I noticed.

The Front forks are a rare item for Batavus mopeds, I wanted someone with a Gran Prix to confirm that it also has the same ones but haven't heard from anyone yet???

I can confirm that the grand prix forks are not the same.

I know McMaster Carr carries ceramic balls.. I’ll have to weigh the steel balls out and see what’s up.

frame1.jpg
frame2.jpg

> Alex Rice Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Will any of the rear racks you find on other Batavus bolt on to this?

The rear portion of the frame (under seat) is pretty universal, ALTHOUGH I believe it was the later models 79+ (Regency/Starflite) that had the chrome rear monster rack which uses the rear shock mounting point and is NOT the same for VA/HS50/Mobat.

I added pics for the comparisons

78 Regency(black) 77 Bronco(yellow middle) 77 VA(same as Hs50+Mobat)

I think I got my last set of aluminum ball bearings from McMaster-Carr as well

Bruce Zapper /

Nice find! It took you a year? I would have bought that day one! Looking forward for the yard sales to begin!

Marc Belfort /

Good job !

He wanted 800 bucks for it at first.. it took a year for him to finally come down to 250. I actually ended up giving him 300 after he surprised me with the three books, title , and two new tubes still in the box. Really interesting older dude.. we actually shared some common interests.

wow, whatta great bat party

> Alex Rice Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> He wanted 800 bucks for it at first.. it took a year for him to finally

> come down to 250. I actually ended up giving him 300 after he surprised

> me with the three books, title , and two new tubes still in the box.

> Really interesting older dude.. we actually shared some common

> interests.

Killer deal for a cool ass bike.

Yes to Chefs Mod of replacing every other ball. I did not think of aluminum but went to cutting small same diameter sections of that yellow/green fuel lime to replace every other ball. Worked great.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account