Rebuilding Shocks¿

Josiah Radebaugh /

Anyone done it? I don't really see why not aside getting the shock apart and finding the right spring.

Re: Rebuilding Shocks¿

yeah i've taken a few shocks apart and put different springs in them.

you gotta compress the spring down and usually there is some kinda plastic collar covering up a locknut where the shock rod goes into the end cap. you compress the spring down in an arbor press or something, then you loosen that locknut, screw off the end cap. the whole thing comes apart and you can cut coils off your springs or mix'n'match them or whatever you wanna do.

Ive added spacers to my stock plastic covered shocks when using fat boi tires to keep my wires from getting mangled over bumps. Works really well on the stock puch/batavus and also derbi shocks.

Josiah Radebaugh /

Anyone had experience dissasembling sealed shocks? I wanted to keep the stock look but but if not then hey...

you mean the actual shock cartridge? its crimped together you cant do anything with that, why would you?

the ones with a chrome cover, you just push that out of the way with the spring and you can get at the nut

This may be off the subject, but why don't they sell shocks that are OEM? I can't seem to find them, just used ones.

Josiah Radebaugh /

^That'd be nice. All there really is are the spring shocks...

I looked at some Puch shocks but I gotta double, triple, check, the measurements.. I'm not so hot with the metric system, number one.Number two, I'm not sure I measure them right. Stop me if I was told wrong .you measure from center hole to hole, and the circumference of the top of the shock. Also making sure they are 8 or 10 or 12 mm bolt holes?

i took the shocks apart on my TSM and they have real hydraulic dampers inside them, still not leaking and functional after 40 years. the better maxi ones with the external springs do too, never taken apart the cheaper plastic cover maxi ones to find out.

lots of good stock-like shock options, the Sebac 260 mm ones are really nice and totally worth it for the $$

Josiah Radebaugh /

Well. Sine the rears on mine are crimped I figured I'd just get those 320mm "xtreme" shocks. As far as I know it's center to center. And you gotta make sure the metal eyelets fit the bolt. If the replacements are bigger than the bolt Im pretty sure you can just put the ones from the stock ones inside of the larger ones.

Sometimes we have to get creative when things don't fit exactly right . ;)

Did that! My original shocks are still good, but the top half are plastic. So today I started to plastic weld the splits, ( getting better at it) .I found using a plastic clothes hanger works better plus it sets up when it cools no waiting 24 hr. So the monster 320s may go on the Tomos.

How do you take the sebac shocks apart?

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account