How do I get rid of an NC50?

My wife brought home a 1978 Honda NC50 a few years ago, given to her by an elderly neighbor. She wanted me to fix it up so she could ride it to work. Cleaned it up and got it to run, but she lost the desire to ride it around.

Three years later, it's just taking up precious space in my garage. We've lost contact with the registered owner and don't have the title. It's possible the owner may have passed away in the last three years.

What do I do with this thing? I don't want to just toss it on the curb because it still has potential and I know there's people that would love to either use it for parts or fix it up, but we don't have any way of getting the title to make everything legal. Any ideas?

Re: How do I get rid of an NC50?

Sell it to someone on here, some states don't require it to have a title and there are ways to get a title in their respective state

If you ever come to MN bring it along, happy to take it off your hands.

Whereabouts in MN? I'm actually sitting in a hotel in Blaine/Ham Lake right now. I've been working on solar fields in the twin cities area, but work is running dry fast. I was planning on heading home this weekend.

You might sell it as a parts only.

Hopkins, not that far from you. How long since it was last registered? (edited)

It was last registered in 2006 in Wisconsin. It last ran in 2016, where we were able to hit ~22mph with it. We replaced the battery, air filter element, and carb gaskets. Battery's probably shot by now, since I don't own a 6v trickle charger. I do know it'll need new fuel hoses -- the rubber is cracked and lets the fuel leak slowly. (edited)

IMAG1370.jpg
IMAG1371.jpg
IMAG1372.jpg

Nice, since it was last registered in 2006, I can title it here in MN no problem. Nice complete looking bike. I understand WI is kind of a pita re: titles. What would you have to have for it? It is way too nice to toss out! :) You can keep the plate, I don't ride anything dirty. MN is easy to title mopeds. This is the one with the wind-up spring starter right?

Fairly confident it's a wind-up. You stomp down on that little lever a few times until it stops moving, then pull the brake to release the spring tension, turning the engine over.

I honestly have no idea what these are worth. Pretty much, whatever you think is fair for an as-is bike that hasn't run in 3 years.

The issues I can currently remember:

Aforementioned leaking fuel lines and potential battery replacement.

Carb probably needs tuning. I only cleaned it and replaced gaskets/o-rings.

I remember needing to fiddle with the wiring, possibly because we didn't initially have the key. It does have the key now, though.

Headlight bezel is cracked but overall intact.

Leather seat has a tear in it.

I want to say there was something with the spark plug wire, but that may have been my old snowblower.

I don't know if it was a trait of these models but when you idled it on the kickstand, the rear wheel would just keep spinning faster and faster.

It's possible there's other issues I either don't remember or didn't discover. We just rode it up and down our street a few times to see what it was like. The path to my wife's job is on a 35mph street so we never went any further with getting it road legal.

If you're interested, we can try to schedule a time next week. I wish I'd remembered the bike earlier. The only reason I'm still in the area is work delays due to the subzero temperatures. There's a risk I might be sent to a completely different part of the country after next weekend.

They are not worth a ton in perfect condition, but I have a soft spot for these things, would you take $100.00 for it? I like to tinker, and have several other bikes to ride so I could take my time with it, and I would not ride it on the street until titled, plated and insured as required by law in MN. I will private message you my phone # and we can talk or text. You will see a private message indicator at the top of the main page, I work nights, avail until 3pm weekdays, whenever on weekends. PM sent. (edited)

Sounds fair to me.

I'm working days but I'm sure we'll figure something out.

Sounds good, message me whenever.

I did put mine to the curb, literally.

This thread was sweeter than a shelter puppy adoption.

> Seth B Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> This thread was sweeter than a shelter puppy adoption.

:)

πΏπ‘–π‘˜π‘Ž-πΏπ‘œπ‘‘π‘Žπ‘ π‘Žπ‘’π‘Ÿ π‘€π‘’π‘”π‘Žπ‘π‘’π‘  πŸ¦– /

My NC was picked up off the curb in Iowa.

« Go to Topics β€” end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account