sachs 3 speed manual clutch

michael brown /

Hey there guys i just had a quick question. So one of my friends told me that there is a moped that sachs makes that is a 2 speed with a manual clutch. Which my qusetion is, is it like a motorcycle clutch? Basically do you have to hold the clutch in everytime you shift gears and hold it in as well when you come to a complete stop. Sorry for the the lack of knowledge on this subject, i just have never heard of a moped like this before.

Re: sachs 3 speed manual clutch

It is a grip shift. So 1st>neutral>2nd. Kinda like a vespa or lambreta

Correct. They made 2 and 3 speed engines. Left hand clutch lever and twist shift. 2 speed is reasonable to find. 3 speed is very rare.

Yes clutch lever in to disengage, release to engage, just like a motorcycle

Chöschi21 C.K. /

The Sachs 505 3 Speeds are actually a lot worse than the (already terrible) 2 Speeds.

screw that. the 2 speeds are great. 3 speed doesn't actually offer much apparently, the 3rd gear is less an add one top and more of an in between compared to the 2 speed, like you got basically the same starting and final gearing on both, just more complicated nternals and more sifting to get there... Still, this one dude managed to go over 70 on a 3 speed and it's the only sachs I've known of to even go close to that. I had a similar setup on 2 speed and it was barely over 60. LOTS of other factors tho.

The manual shift gives you the advantage of controlling the slip, whereas the standard automatic donuts are nearly untunable. so that alone gives you a lot of room to gear up, and the additional gear lets you push the final gearing really tall. BUT the clutches still suck and are the exact same 5 piece 2 pad tiny disks

Chöschi21 C.K. /

The problem with the 3 Speed, at least for the 505's is that they dont hold up to power, they break fast, the 3. Gear is realy helpfull on other engines, the 50/3 or 506 are really good engines and its easier to go up Tall Mountains. (edited)

The older and way rarer 50/3 motors were robust. The 505 versions were the weak ones

Chöschi21 C.K. /

As i said.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account