How to ride in Cold weather.

For a 50cc or small two stroke engine. What requirements need to be met for a bike to run in the cold.

I've seen videos and images of guys on CT trails in cold weather and wondering what do I need to do?

Re: How to ride in Cold weather.

Step one. Bundle up.

Step two. Dong get frost bite.

Depends how cold. I ride all year around in Charlotte. Even rode to a

Couple events when it was in the upper teens. No biggie. 2strokes like cold.

Re: How to ride in Cold weather.

What he^ said .

Your bike will simply run better in the cold air . More oxygen per cubic foot .

It's part of the reason you feel more alive in the cold .

Re: How to ride in Cold weather.

I made the pressumption that to ride in cold weather required adjusting the jetting?

I recall riding my Puch in cold weather and having a hell of a time trying to start it. Hmm so is adjusting the jetting only for the barometric pressure of the air /elevation?

There's a Fortnine video on a two-stroke bike. He talks about jetting for a minute or two. I'm very new to bikes is all.

Re: How to ride in Cold weather.

Get a snowmobile suit for over your jeans and sweater. Balaclava under the helmet. Good gloves. The heck with the bike...…….it'll run fine unless jetted lean already.

Re: How to ride in Cold weather.

i like the carhartt winter overalls! nothing better then riding up and down the street on a nice sunny 35 degree day after it snowed. be careful of those snow patches and use an old bike because the sand. il try to make a video tomorrow of me ripping up my road on a maxi stocker. cars coming at me get scared and slow way down so i just pull over to the side and chill for a minute( quite country roads). (edited)

Re: How to ride in Cold weather.

kidding

Re: How to ride in Cold weather.

You may have to upjet.

Watch out for step no 2 tho.

Re: How to ride in Cold weather.

> Baron Von Hamilton Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Step one. Bundle up.

>

> Step two. Dong get frost bite.

I've always disliked step two..

Re: How to ride in Cold weather.

Depending on how close to the limit you're running you might need to upjet, likely it's a good idea. As mentioned denser air = more oxygen. from an ideal gas perspective, 70 degrees F is a change of around 10% in air density so you should need a little more gas to compensate in winter by upjetting.

It'll be usually trickier to start also because the gas wont atomize as well, more condenses on everything until it gets warmed up. this is where choke is required, unfortunately it also gets easier to flood. and sometimes it's harder to get things moving in the denser oil.

I'm telling you all this because it's interesting HOWEVER from a PRACTICAL standpoint you DO NOT NEED TO WORRY much about it. go start your bike. if it runs crappy after it's warmed up, upjet. if it's hard to start, try starterfluid on the coldest days and use the choke. and bundle yourself like crazy, especially gloves.

Re: How to ride in Cold weather.

kevin Smellaflange /

actually...if u keep it on the rear wheel only,

... rolling resistance is less ( with the parasitic drag )

u can parallel park much better...

if a cage driver does a brake check...

u r already to climb their trunk & over the windshield...the way GOD would have intended.

& the po-po duUuNn 't like it then the only thing to do is...

bend over, grab your ankles & kiss your ass goodbye...

.....your welcome.

Re: How to ride in Cold weather.

Dirty30 Dillon /

> Brent Eaton Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> actually...if u keep it on the rear wheel only,

>

> ... rolling resistance is less ( with the parasitic drag )

>

> u can parallel park much better...

>

> if a cage driver does a brake check...

>

> u r already to climb their trunk & over the windshield...the way GOD

> would have intended.

>

> & the po-po duUuNn 't like it then the only thing to do is...

>

> bend over, grab your ankles & kiss your ass goodbye...

>

> .....your welcome.

Are you ok

Re: How to ride in Cold weather.

> Road Kill Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> > Baron Von Hamilton Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > Step one. Bundle up.

>

> >

>

> > Step two. Dong gets frost bite.

>

> I've always disliked step two..

x10

Screenshot_2019-01-25-18-10-46-1.png

Re: How to ride in Cold weather.

> Baron Von Hamilton Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Dong get frost bite.

Make sure your zipper is up when winter riding.

Re: How to ride in Cold weather.

> P8R . Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> > Baron Von Hamilton Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > Dong get frost bite.

>

> Make sure your zipper is up when winter riding.

Or when riding through bees

Re: How to ride in Cold weather.

> P8R . Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> > Baron Von Hamilton Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > Dong get frost bite.

>

> Make sure your zipper is up when winter riding.

Pretty much always do this....

Re: How to ride in Cold weather.

Pushrod Fifty /

Dry winter air is what a two stroke loves. I let it warm up before taking off and all is good as stock. I find that my tire pressure changes alot in the cold, so I check it before the ride. Carhart fleece neck tube over the chin and heavy hiking socks, leather jacket and heavy wool pants over jeans, new gauntlet gloves, good for a 10 mile ride today with temp around 40f.

Re: How to ride in Cold weather.

All that for 40 above? :)

Re: How to ride in Cold weather.

kevin Smellaflange /

that's ''zipper down'' advise.

Re: How to ride in Cold weather.

Pushrod Fifty /

Yea because my fingers were freezing, all else good and warm.

Re: How to ride in Cold weather.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Live in Pennsylvania...

Re: How to ride in Cold weather.

Riding my mb5 in the snow every day to work was so fun, I miss being able to do that

Re: How to ride in Cold weather.

if its even a little snowy, lower your tire pressure for better traction

cover up every inch of skin, preferable with something both insulating and windproof

upjet. you bike sounds and feels like its running crazy good because it is lean

run and air filter. your bike hates salt.

wash your bike frequently. your steel will rust, your paint will corrode, your aluminum with oxidize.

wipe a layer of shaving cream on your visor to keep it from fogging up (if you are hazing that issue)

snow is fun to ride in if you are careful and stay off your back brake and you have decent boots to catch the ground if you slide out.

ice is not fun.

layers on layers are the best way to keep warm. i dont ride if its under 25, between 25 and 40, i wear my normal clothes and jacket, then over that i wear either a carhart coverall or a snowmobile suit, a thermo face mask, a hat, thick ass leather gloves, two pairs of wool socks, waterproof insulated boots. if its reaaaaally cold ill wear two pairs of gloves and throw a hand warmer packet in between the layers.

cant stress enough of blocking the wind and cold and moistuire to your hands. if you go numb in the hands, its game over.

and make sure not to let dong get frost bite

Re: How to ride in Cold weather.

Colin likes to worry about jetting and air leaks...

I grew up 40 miles south of where he currently lives, which is literally a stone's throw from Lake Erie, elevation 569 feet, in Lake County Ohio. The highest point in the county I live in, Geauga, is 1319 feet, 750 feet higher, and I lived about 3 miles from that highest point.

I rode my stock Motron (Minarelli V1) in weather ranging from 15 degrees to 100 degrees F 40 years ago, and had no issues. The only "jet" I knew of back then were those things in the sky and a Paul McCartney song. I have to think that up jetting or down jetting would make no significant difference.

Somebody recently told me to switch to a warmer spark plug. Back then, I could never find the correct plug for that motor, a Champion L9G, because nobody would stock a gold tipped plug.

So in the 3 years and 6000 miles that I rode the bike from 79 to 82, I never did anything different to the bike from summer to winter.

As far as clothing; layers, a snow mobile suit, and thick gloves.

Re: How to ride in Cold weather.

We live in our Monaco motor home and have traveled the contiguous United States for the last 8 years . That's a lot of elevation and temperature changes .

Not once have I done anything different to my FA50 for anyplace we've been .

Re: How to ride in Cold weather.

i just got a snowmobile helmet this year, holy shit i wish i had bought one of these years ago.

windproofing is the key, i have a tourmaster transition 3 jacket that i wear now, its hi-vis because i figure any time i'm riding in bad enough shit to need it, i don't care about looking like a doofus.

unless you have some super tuned up thing, usually you don't have to rejet until about 30 degrees, then again at zero. my snowmobile is jetted for 0 and barely runs when its 30 out.

Re: How to ride in Cold weather.

This is a serious game changer assuming your rides aren't more than like 3-4 hours. Better than heated grips because the heat is inside your glove, plus they can be used off the bike.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072N2BSGD/

(edited)

Re: How to ride in Cold weather.

> Max LGN Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> This is a serious game changer assuming your rides aren't more than like

> 3-4 hours. Better than heated grips because the heat is inside your

> glove, plus they can be used off the bike.

>

>

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072N2BSGD/

Those things cost more than I paid my FA50. LOL

Re: How to ride in Cold weather.

ok what's your point? My Puch was 500 bucks my arai helmet was 650. You want nice gear you pay for it.

Re: How to ride in Cold weather.

> Max LGN Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> ok what's your point? My Puch was 500 bucks my arai helmet was 650.

You want nice gear you pay for it.

That's true .

Is a point required ? ;)

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account