My 1980 qt50 project

I have a 1980 Yamaha QT50 that i found behind a barn in the weather for 20+ years in Chappells South Carolina. its all original and everything was there. it only has a few spots of surface rust, and the engine was locked up solid after 2138 miles (mostly packed with dirt because it was half way in the ground) I have tried to keep it mostly original, so i beat the piston with a sledge hammer and a peice of wood to remove the cylinder and broke the crankshaft free with a Ratchet. i cleaned all the dirt, rust and creatures that lived in that poor ol' qt50. then i cleaned the carb it was bad, the tank was no better it was packed with mud, and the air cleaner box had a hornets nest. after i cleaned it all i ran 40:1 mix fuel to the tank and tried to fire it up, and i heard that engine pop, then i kicked the starter about 15 more times and then it finally fired up after 20 years sitting untouched but it ran all the way up to full throttle and i found out that the carburetor slide got seized at full throttle so i had to replace it and now it runs and drives pretty good, both of the old Yokohama world tour 953's hold air so for now i'm running on them. it has working lights cause they turned on when it fired up for the first time. Trust me it was very bad but i got it going and brought it back to life.

IMG_20181218_211804_759.jpg
1218181653a.jpg
IMG_20181218_211804_762.jpg

Re: My 1980 qt50 project

Jimmy Cincinnati /

I like it! Always love hearing stories about the bikes most people would have left for scrap.

I picked up a Red QT50 at a yard sale a couple years back. I thought i would just sell it off to try to make $50 bucks but started tinkering with it and now its a titled runner i drive to work when the weather permits. Ride and enjoy yours!

Angry Hipster /

Did you replace the top end?

Also, the crank seals likely need replacing. If you replace them take a few pictures and describe it. I'm wondering exactly how it is done.

Robbie wrote: `so i beat the piston with a sledge hammer and a peice of wood to remove the cylinder and broke the crankshaft free with a Ratchet. '

You escaped fortunately. It still runs after a sledgehammer? You must have used it very judiciously, or it is a 3 lb.baby sledge?

For everyone out there, this was risky.

Anyway, glad you have it running and you might wanna check the upper and lower bearing play on that piston before it does any damage.

Pushrod Fifty /

I ressurected a Suz K10 that sat for 30 years with old gas in the crankcase by filling it with Gunk carb soak and letting sit for a week. I got it to spin freely and replaced the seals but the main bearing on the right side locked up after about 50 miles. When I took it apart I found rust on the inner side of the bearing. Best to change them on a bike that for along time.

Somehow everything is good, this is it now. (edited)

0218191451.jpg

Jack Rutherford /

can I donate a stator cover and screws - just because. Of course then I saw the speedo. I'll throw in a zip tie.

kevin Smellaflange /

was this a MARY KAY version?

neither of them where on it and the speedometer was always flopping around

Jack Rutherford /

cool.

yea

I I have 85 QT50 , I would like to replace the rear shock ,any suggestions? How do I know I need to replace my crank case seal I've been reading up on a lot of people replacing it ,my bike has 2,000 + miles I'm the second owner on it they were throwing it away it was in the scrap metal truck in the neighborhood and I rescued it from being scrap, picked up a clone carb from eBay ran a little bit of seafoam in the tank run 40 to 1 I fuel tank "Lucas 2stroke" and waxed it cleaned it pickup some stuff on wish app here's a picture

(edited)

IMG_20190304_180613.jpg

I just replaced the rear shock on my FA50 with a good used one off Ebay . About 12 bucks . ;)

> Jaime QT50 Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> qt 50I I have 85 QT50 , I would like to replace the rear shock ,any

> suggestions? How do I know I need to replace my crank case seal I've

> been reading up on a lot of people replacing it ,my bike has 2,000 +

> miles I'm the second owner on it they were throwing it away it was in

> the scrap metal truck in the neighborhood and I rescued it from being

> scrap, picked up a clone carb from eBay ran a little bit of seafoam in

> the tank run 40 to 1 I fuel tank "Lucas 2stroke" and waxed it cleaned

> it pickup some stuff on wish app here's a picture85qt

Looks beautiful, you even have the ever elusive right side mirror! :D

Jack Rutherford /
« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account