Re: Dead old field Pinto

Why not have you local police run a check on it or the DMV ?

Angry Hipster /

Do I just call the police non-emergency line or go to the courthouse where I register vehicles?

I'd probably just stop by the courthouse . More direct .

Bruce Zapper /
DSCN9738.JPG
IMG_0500.JPG

Hang in there,just for encouragement found this on ebay nobody was biding starting bid was $50 I got it for $50 drove 3 hours to pick it up also it came with a bucket of new motor parts that were bought 30 years ago and never put together.

Probably Fred /

> Graham Motzing Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> yeah its the same pipe as stock maxi

>

> that will clean up no prob, pintos are nice, at the very least you got

> frame, tank, and a rebuildable e50

Could be longer

My puch Murray maxi lookin pipe was longer then a maxi pipe so maxi pipe wouldn’t work

Not sure on my pinto because I used the pipe that came with it

> Bruce Zapper Wrote:

> Hang in there,just for encouragement found this on ebay nobody was

> biding starting bid was $50 I got it for $50 drove 3 hours to pick it up

> also it came with a bucket of new motor parts that were bought 30 years

> ago and never put together.

Man, that came together beautifully!!!

Downhill Harvey (OFMC) /
DerbiVariantSLEcl.jpg
20180731_172321_resized.jpg

I restore every bike, never parted a bike.

Making something out of nothing is one of the most enjoyable things about mopeds. The guy I got this one from had to take it with a Pinto he bought or leave empty handed. It absorbed a lot of spare parts over the years.

81D8586C-343E-43A9-AA11-2D044BA8636B.jpeg
7F3EE4A6-824A-42DA-96B6-B56EB7ED21B1.jpeg

Angry Hipster /

Those pics are inspiring!! Excellent work!

I tore into the pinto a bit more tonight. I took the wheels, tank, and seat off, and took some pictures.

The wheels look beyond repair, the front has a giant rust hole and the rear has some pin holes due to rust.

The engine is locked....but that's not really surprising or anything that worries me.

The tank didn't look bad until I sanded some of the rust on the bottom of it..... I hope it's not a unicorn tank..

Good news is the frame looks great!

52884266_2166338726779490_7360977812473249792_n.jpg
52456042_296824327680973_6316117268421935104_n.jpg
53155202_384141889070131_7537628997018976256_n.jpg

Angry Hipster /
52933295_2240016536058838_514145454057848832_n.jpg

Angry Hipster /
52631582_2141063235978083_6417680299940904960_n.jpg

I also have put some plastic weld on some of the hair line cracks on the "new" junkyard fender.

I can say you are a man of pride. After seeing what the tire did to the fender most would not of had the spirit left to replace the hub cap after swapping the wheel.

Angry Hipster /

> cheetahchrome . Wrote:

> I can say you are a man of pride. After seeing what the tire did to the

> fender most would not of had the spirit left to replace the hub cap

> after swapping the wheel.

Thanks for the kind words but I can't take credit. I drove the car with no tread to the tire shop and they took care of it.

Chöschi21 C.K. /

I hope the Prices for those tanks aren't as insane in the US as they are around here...

Thanks for the kind words but I can't take credit. I drove the car with no tread to the tire shop and they took care of it.

Your kind sicken me.

Angry Hipster /

I drove 8 miles slowly and cautiously. Seeing how often people do much more dangerous things than that must mean you're sickened a lot.

John Konstantine /

The Pinto moped uses Puch 17inch spoke rims which you can most likely buy a used set from someone here on Moped Army or maybe a moped shop in Texas like austin mopeds.

The Pinto moped gas tanks are not easy to find/buy, so you are really going to want to try to repair/salvage the Pinto moped Gas tank. It would be worthwhile to see if someone could braze/weld up the hole in the Pinto gas tank with a metal patch. (edited)

That hole in the tank could easily be repaired with a bit of solder and some metal screen .

John Konstantine /

I agree that hole in the Pinto moped gas tank could possibly be repaired with solder and some metal screen.

Angry Hipster /

Thanks guys! I'll have to examine the tank further to see just how bad the rust is and consider fixing it.

I've already hit up the local moped gang to see if they have some spokes they want to sell.

Also, I think if worst comes to worst there is the possibility of having the a piece of pipe welded in and making it into a top tank.

Angry Hipster /

Also, I want everyone to know this isn't my only bike. It's more of a side project, I can wait to see if the tank pops up sooner or later, and if it sits in the corner of the garage for awhile, no biggie.

Chöschi21 C.K. /

A guy can buy an awful lot of solder for 400 bucks . ;)

Duh-hang! I wonder what the actual sale price is?

Pinto tanks are really cute and all but the capacity of them is, what, only .8 gallon? If you’re going to make it a kitted/fast bike then you’d be stopping to refuel pretty often.

General 5 Star and Kreidler tanks are better looking to my eye and hold twice as much .

Chöschi21 C.K. /

Those, sadly, are the <selling prices, there was a newly chromed one for sale a couple of months ago that got sold for 1000...

> Chöschi21 C.K. Wrote:

> Those, sadly, are the <selling prices, there was a newly chromed one for

> sale a couple of months ago that got sold for 1000...

Some folks have way too much money or maybe they are simply mentally deprived . ;)

I should have the header off of my murray

besides grease ,you can make a plate and tap it and use a threaded bolt to ease it down,I guess it is better that tapping with a dowel according to the twingle site

Angry Hipster /

I have been thinking about what method I should use to free the cylinder, and I think I want to just split the case and get a new crank, bearings, piston/cyl.

Odds are the bearings are shot, the cylinder would need machining, and it wouldn't stress the case or studs to do it this way.

It's a bit of money, but a good foundation, in case I can free up some funds for a race pipe and cylinder.

I'd split the case then support the cylinder carefully with 2X4 wood blocks and pound out the piston with an oak block of wood and a hammer. If you find the big end bearing is in question go for the new crank. Inspect your piston/cylinder and go from there. Sometimes if the big end bearing looks good it is still short lived. Trust me.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account