Honda Hobbit

Whats up guys,

Picked up this Honda Hobbit over the weekend for $50, The engine turns freely, but the guy had no idea if it runs, ive gotta pick up the replacement keys from treats, or just bypass it if thats a better option? Gonna do a tear down first and get the frame all prettied up. no title so ill have to do the vermont deal as i did on my magnum.

this is my first build so its really more of a learning experience for me but i am both stoked and intimidated to go in on it. the idea was to lure on of my buddies into doing the Gettysburge rally with me, since he doesnt have a ped. that or the girlfriend will come ( its my first meetup and i dont really wanna ride solo).

Neil (ibuiltrome) hooked me up HUGE on the magnum and that got me hooked. so i hope to learn from you guys and see you at some rallies!

20190216_141028.jpg

Re: Honda Hobbit

Hobbits came in two versions:

Early red ones were 20 mph capable

Yellow ones were 30mph capable.

If I recall correctly, at the end of production, the red ones were also 30mph rated. But, if I am wrong, I am sure that someone will chime in with the correct info.

The nameplate on the headstock should show whether the bike is a

PA50I (20 mph version) or PA50II (30mph version)

Mike

Brandon Weiss (Detective brandon to you) /

I think the red/white ones were pa50i, and all the solid colors were pa50ii...if i remember correctly.

A quick google search says solid red were from 81'- 82', and that pa50i were discontinued after 79'. (edited)

think the red/white ones were pa50i, and all the solid colors were pa50ii...if i remember correctly.

78-79 red = pa50I, yellow = pa50II

i think if it has turn signals it should be a later model?

talk to maize about getting that seat recovered, he's really good at those hobbit seats.

https://www.mopedarmy.com/riders/maize/

that is an 81 with CDI and it is a 30+ mph model. they dropped the PA50-1 and 2 moniker so i cant remember if that is technically called a pa-50-2 or just a pa-50, but those are compatable with all the pa-50-2 parts.

they have a couple small differences to the 79-80 models but all parts swap over. those are nice bikes.

so this was sold to me as a "1981 honda hobbit PA50" (ill check the vin plate when i get home) most everything is there, including what basically looks like a lawnmower exhaust. but im gonna tear into it this week, see what it looks like in there before i start ordering parts.

The seat is actually in good shape but it somehow detached from its base, so i have it just not in the pic

> Graham Motzing Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> that is an 81 with CDI and it is a 30+ mph model. they dropped the

> PA50-1 and 2 moniker so i cant remember if that is technically called a

> pa-50-2 or just a pa-50, but those are compatable with all the pa-50-2

> parts.

>

> they have a couple small differences to the 79-80 models but all parts

> swap over. those are nice bikes.

thats good to know! ive been reading through the wiki ( which is very fantastic) all morning.

So it is an 82, it says both pa50 and pa50ii.

Gonna be a real project, is it best to kit it out of the gate? Or see if I can get it running first thing .

It's a good thing the wiki has electrical schematics....

20190218_183732.jpg
20190218_183852.jpg
20190218_183826.jpg

Definitely make it run first, and run right. Changing parts is just adding more variables to an equation you hadn't solved in the first place.

Thanks for the advice ryan!

I agree with Ryan, stock first. A good running stock Hobbit is a really fun bike.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account