This build has been a collaboration between myself and Alan W ( drgeorgetompson ).
This idea started awhile ago with both of us being interested in building a Puch Hero, as I continued to hear people sing their praises. Alan picked up this bad boy for $50 awhile ago, and things started to progress.
Motor was pretty bad, so we decided to ditch it in favor of a mystery condition ZA50.
Someone had already JB Welded the case and opened up the transfers, but the surface was really uneven and needed to be lapped quite a bit.
They'd also rebuilt it fairly recently, as it had nice looking bearings and a roller bearing crank. Pucks were trash though, so pucks and seals were replaced and 2nd gear clutch flipped.
Hero cylinder came in from Dos, and as expected, the casting was a bit questionable. Ports were very rough and needed lots of love.
Opened up the transfers a bit more to match the case, chamfered, and made the port shapes congruent.
Then came time to mockup. We used laser cut plates for the mounts. Also drilled a hole out for the swingarm tube.
Instead of using a ready-made angle port pipe, we really wanted to use the stock pipe. The 2001 Avanti came with an expansion chamber pipe from the factory (per Myron's).
Hacking and welding
Hi-boy leg burner
First start day
Runs really well for the eyeballed jetting and having no idea how the pipe would perform. Lots of slippage in first gear so that's something to puzzle out.
Credit to Alan for most of the fabrication. I'm sure he has some other good pics to post up.
Brought to you by the DC Halfsmokes (edited)