Studded snows?

I have a Sachs with a relatively mild 505/1d setup that I was thinking of running in the winter around here just for fun.

I’m in northern my so it snows here the majority of the year. I’m wondering if anyone has found decent 17” snow tires and if they have you some feeling of security. I’ve certainly had my rear end slide out a few times without snows. Especially with a coaster brake.

I’m guessing I’d also want some sort of waterproof/breathable bag around my air intake? Like what someone would use for a CAI on their car?

Re: Studded snows?

I used the Vee Rubber snow tires on Treatland. Pre drilled for studs. You can kind of see them installed and in action on this episode of my buddies vlog.

we actually ride the bike with the studs in this video

Looks like those tires hold up REALLY well against snow and ice with the screws. Do you think the screws offer an advantage over proper studs (not counting cost)?

Also have you tested it on pavement with the screws to see if they get ripped out?

Looks like that would be my ideal solution, I'm sure braking with a coaster may still offer some slide if I'm not careful.

> Max LGN Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> we actually ride the bike with the studs in this video

>

>

This is probably the easiest and most economical solution, but I don't think this is better than pre studded tires. The screws can pull out if you are on pavement. They really need a surface to dig into. You can secure them more with rubber cement to help keep them from backing out. It works great on 100% ice or hard packed snow. If I was racing around a frozen lake this would be ideal. Unfortunately I do not know of any 17" pre studded tires that would fit a moped.

You can stud from the inside of the tire too, this is the better way to DIY since they cannot pull out. Takes way more time and requires you to remove your tire from the rim.

Ive seen e-bike guys with zip ties around their tires in the snow, that might be worth a shot too.

> Aaron Goldman Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Looks like those tires hold up REALLY well against snow and ice with the

> screws. Do you think the screws offer an advantage over proper studs

> (not counting cost)?

>

> Also have you tested it on pavement with the screws to see if they get

> ripped out?

the ones we build for dirtbikes have a street tire with the beads cut off stuffed inside a dirtbike tire

we use like a 70 x 21 front from a harley and a 18 or 19 street bike rear.

you cut the bead off- bandsaw works best but you can use a sawzall in a pinch- and stuff it inside the dirtbike tire, that way the screws have a harder rubber to bite into. plus the cords/banding on the inner tire are heavier duty because they are street tires.

any dirtbike tire works pretty ok.

we use the kold kutter AMA legal screws or canadians if you prefer, but riding on any kind of pavement fucks them up real fast. that goes for any steel or hardened steel type screw. if you are going to run them on pavement you need something with carbide to stay sharp, like they use on snowmobiles.

I had a 5051d with the vee tires max mentioned. It was not studded but they're great tires all around anyway. Ice will fuck you up but if it was slippery I'd just stand over the bike and slide on my feet n tryn let it pull me. Much fun. Honestly they did well enough on snow and the roads are at least sanded or salted enough that most of the time studs wouldn't be comfortable.

I've helped a friend stud tires for ice. It is fucking tedious as hell.

I will say that even with regular oiling and/or washing, your chain and cables are annual replacements if you ride much in the winter salt

Yep agree with Will, those vee rubbers are really soft bc it helps them stay grippy at lower temps. Runnning at a lower psi helps too since your tire makes more contact.

Not to keep spamming you with videos but here is a clip of me running those Vee Rubber tires on a kitted hobbit in the snow without any studs. They really grip well. The side profile of the tire is sort of square, so they hookup on soft surfaces when you are leaning to turn.

Dirty30 Dillon /

Yep. I will vote for the Vee Rubber as well. Great traction in all sorts of rough shit. I personally would not stud tires unless you know you won't hit un-covered pavement.

Another vote for the Vee Rubber's, I've got a set on my Ciao, which is winter bike. I've ridden in lots of snowy conditions from hard pack to slush and these tires have really impressed me, other then black ice they ride almost like a dirt tire on the grass.

Sadly with the change in weather patterns I haven't really needed them the past few years, but they do work great in summer too.

kevin Smellaflange /

a wider tire in front helps w/front end washout...

2.50/17'' would be good all around

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account