Hydro dip..electro plate

Anyone ever hydro dip their own moped parts or electro plate metal parts...and what were your impressions on either??

Re: Hydro dip..electro plate

yes Josh Hickman built a maxi that he had dipped (edited)

hydro dipped moped.jpg

***Kim Jong illest*** /

I've done a few now. It always turns out super nice. Pretty pricey to have done, probably way cheaper to do yourself.

20170929_201143(0).jpg
20170901_180452.jpg

People who've hydrodipped....

How does it work out painting over it? It gets a clear coat right? I've got a project I'd like to hydrodip but then mask off panels and paint the rest. Think old school lowrider sort of paint jobs.

I do a lot of my own plating, zinc, nickel, nickel-zinc, copper, also dabble in aluminium anodising. and rust removal with electrolysis. only thing i cant do is chrome plate, as we cannot buy a proper chrome kit here, just a crappy replica chrome which is nickel and cobalt if memory serves, its meant to give a slight blue tint as nickel itself is too brown to replicate chrome.

To do a decent job the parts have to be de-rusted, either by electrolysis or chemically, or mechanically with wire brushes, polished a little, and cleaned thoroughly, it is easy enough if you have it set up properly, clean, plate, rinse, brighteners, rinse, passivate.

Need a good power supply, sure a old phone brick would do at a push, but i use a lab power supply, that is controllable in every way. makes it far easier. some of the chemicals involved can be a little scary, high concentration acids, and alkali. Its cheaper than buying new bolts, and fun too. you can also do all the unobtainable parts and brackets you cant go out and get new.

I thought about copper plating the whole engine and tranny...but I think the heat generated from the engine may cause discoloration...idk..I would look sweet for a little while though....I noticed that the Wish app has a lot of hydro dip film on it I may give it a go and see what it turns out to be

> tony greathouse Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I thought about copper plating the whole engine and tranny...but I think

> the heat generated from the engine may cause discoloration...idk..I

> would look sweet for a little while though....I noticed that the Wish

> app has a lot of hydro dip film on it I may give it a go and see what it

> turns out to be

I saw a fellow do a lot of copper on one of his bike motors .

It did look good . After a bunch of heat cycles , the multi level of change just added another dimension . I found it very appealing .

kevin Smellaflange /

i just airbrush my components...heat paint can be thinned out and layered.

cables can be sprayed, side head fins, cases, tires.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account