First moped question (cafe racer)

Hello everyone,

Mopeds have always been super cool to me. I am finally about to purchase one. I have experience with dirt bikes and ATVs, but not mopeds. My question is this:

I'm interested in the retro style. I also really like the mopeds in the cafe racer configurations. What is the best moped to buy new that can be converted to a cafe racer? I see a few places in the US sell the Tomos Sprint, but most of the Tomos cafe racers were the Streetmate. Why is that? Can you buy new Streetmates? Is Tomos a good brand to convert to a cafe racer? Are there any mopeds that already come as cafe racers? I'm into the more simple / minimal cafe racer configurations. I like the style with the middle of the frame open as opposed to the more "sport bike configurations". I hope my question makes sense.

What would be a good starting moped to buy? I was looking at Tomos, but that was just because that was the only brand I could find new that had a "retro" style. Are there cafe racer kits? Any good websites that show conversions with parts listed would be useful too. I'm just trying to get my bearings on where to start.

Thanks so much for reading. Oh, one more thing I definitely need something that has pedals because I don't want to have to get a license again.

Thanks again.

Re: First moped question (cafe racer)

In regards to a new moped, Tomos is about it. If you can find one.

SMOG restrictions/requirements have just about driven a stake into the heart of the moped business.

I am assumeing that you are talking about a true moped, i.e. one with pedals like a bicycle.

Mike

Not tryin to be rude here but if you are asking for a cafe racer "kit" you are probably going to be over your head trying to modify a motorized vehicle and still maintain function/reliability. Mopeds are tedious little machines requiring constant maintenance and up keep. PArt of the appeal is the problem solving involved in building/tuning one. It's not a dirt bike where you can just buy what you need and bolt on parts. At true custom "cafe" bike is just that, custom. Not something that comes in a kit.

If you really want that "cafe" look, throw some clubman bars on any moped and a long seat and boom you got a cool guy cafe bike.

Also i'm like 99% sure you need a valid drivers license to ride a moped in Louisiana.

Dirty30 Dillon /

What ^^^ said.

If you are looking for a vintage-style bike, buy an actual vintage bike.

I'm just looking for ideas on the best place to start. You're assuming a lot and aren't correct. I'm not looking for something to just bolt on. It's a moped, not a B-2. I can do everything in this video. I've just never done it before and never owned a moped.

https://www.rideapart.com/articles/273832/moped-build-itself-cafe-racer/

Anyway, thanks for your reply.

Also, I've read the motor vehicles and traffic regulation definitions. (edited)

Ok sorry for assuming. Guess the cafe kit comment just threw me off. That isn't something you would normally ask for if you had experience in customizing bikes. Also considering your post is titled "first moped question" yes I assumed you did not have prior moped experience.

Check out the garage , find bikes you like and get some inspiration. You can read all the parts people use, then buy what you need off treatland.com or Dos Cycles and go to town.

PLEASE make a build thread and post it on here when you are done so we can see your handy work.

Dirty30 Dillon /

I'm not trying to be rude, but how often do you go to the cafe, and why not get there at a leisurely pace?

> Dirty30 Dillon Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I'm not trying to be rude, but how often do you go to the cafe, and why

> not get there at a leisurely pace?

If you don't get there in a hurry the cafeteria will be out of sloppy joes.

Check out mono. They can direct you to help build bikes. They have a healthy moped community there .

Now I am hungry.

Love that video. You can barely even see the elves.

What you want, really want, is what most folks want- meaning it's hard to find and $$$. Puch magnum and general 5 star probably best fits.

Or make your own custom cafe racer.

af29272989eb1301ff2553ee23598bdc.jpg

Dirty30 Dillon /

^^^^^^^

WHO IS SHE???

Cafe racers are so 2012, it’s all about brat trackers now.

Oooh I remember watching several people crash that into a dumpster at spoops rally a few years back

> Dirty30 Dillon Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> ^^^^^^^

>

> WHO IS SHE???

Hahaha there is that video of Will riding that racing a horse, floating around somewhere.

5B72D83C-7329-475F-8B36-C635B7BAD38D.jpeg

MOPED

kevin Smellaflange /

is that a honda motor retrofitted to a moped on that sidecar?

Thats so slick how you morphed that bicycle into a side car.

Pushrod Fifty /

Start with a common moped like a Puch Maxi or Magnum if you dont mind sownding more, and get it running good. As you ride it and modify it, it will end up to be what you want. If you want to tuck down, a $20 M bar from treats will do it.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account