Head temp gauge for under $10 bucks!?

s-l1600.jpg

Been looking for a diy temp gauge and i found a solution maybe. I know its been attempted with bbq temp gauges but instead i will be useing a thermocouple probe.

digital read-out gauge

this is one of the probe ideas:

probe idea

but i do not think i can find a 14mm terminal like that.

i could use a stud bolt and a m6 copper terminal like this:

https://www.ebay.com/i/123622422220?chn=ps&var=424204750376 (edited)

Re: Head temp gauge for under $10 bucks!?

kevin Smellaflange /

why couldn't anyone buy a hooked sensor that is attached to a small brass chain coated with plug wire

wrap & fasten it to a center head fin?

it could move with a variator, would rust, and it would be like a oven temp.

You can find the proper cht loop probes on Amazon too. I'm running one. I had that gauge but it failed quickly, I think it was because I let it get wet. I've been using a bigger one with two inputs that I keep saying I'm gonna set up an exhaust temp gauge with but haven't.

kevin Smellaflange /

the wet weather & humidity could be confounding?

brass wouldn't rust is what i was meaning to say previously.

John Konstantine /

A 5/8 inch Ring terminal may work for a 14mm spark plug; however, min order is 100 parts.

Morris Products 5/8 inch Ring terminal

A 1/2 inch Ring terminal may work that is filed open to 14mm for a spark plug; however, min order is 100 parts.

Morris products 1/2 Ring terminal (edited)

Why not just check the local hardware for 'hardware' ?

You can gets K type thermocouple porbes for sparkplugs all over the place. cheap ones are cheap because theyre thin wire and crappy metallurgy so they're not gonna read always right but for this stuff exact temps don't matter. everyone's just looking for that arbitrary number that they believe is an upper limit. This'd tell you if you're too hot. it's a great option for tuning, just like: hey how hot-ish do I get with this setup, but it's also definitely not a leave-it-on constant monitor the way a trailtech would be.

Harbor freight meat thermometer is better, only $6 and has an on/off and removable battery

I just bought these for my winter build. I’ll try to hook it up to a battery and dunk it into some boiling water and see how accurate it is then report back.

Temp gauge

Thermocouple

Okay perfect! I might just buy the $20 cable with the 14mm washer. That’s still less the the trail tech and I can switch out the dead batteries

I used a meat thermometer with the trailtech thermocouple soldered on to the board and it kinda worked seemed like the spark or the pulsating caused the display to flicker and readings went up and down a bit.

I’ve been using thus gauge for tuning, it’s not permanently mounted.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B018QHQSB8/

> Thomas TPRF Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I’ve been using thus gauge for tuning, it’s not permanently mounted.

>

the mutiple ports are cool especially for liquid cooled bikes ( in & out temp) tranny temp,pipe temp, outside temp lol

did you test it in water?

ill do a side by side with a trail tech to check the calibration in water.

make a zip tie bracket!! (edited)

> Rocco Taco Wrote:

> > Thomas TPRF Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > I’ve been using thus gauge for tuning, it’s not permanently mounted.

>

> >

>

>

> the mutiple ports are cool especially for liquid cooled bikes ( in & out

> temp) tranny temp,pipe temp, outside temp lol

>

> did you test it in water?

>

> ill do a side by side with a trail tech to check the calibration in

> water.

>

> make a zip tie bracket!!

I use Velcro straps or snap it in a cell phone holder. I did test it in water and have compared it to readings from a laser thermometer. It's always been with 5*.

For a while I kept one of the included bare thermocouples hanging on it to read ambient air temp but in the summer it was depressing to see it climb 20 degrees from the heat rising off the asphalt at stop lights. I have an exhaust gas temp probe I've never gotten around to installing as I'm not really sure what I'd do without that information anyway.

I just check with my hand. Cost zero

Josiah Radebaugh /

That kinda works once you get a sense of heat to pain

> Tri-ped Dave Wrote:

> I just check with my hand. Cost zero

A lot of guys are way too slow for that . They'd get burned the first time . LOL

Seriously , a 'normal' human can sense a temperature change of as little as .198°F .

That's less than two tenths of one degree , for the more challenged . ;)

But , yeah , experience ...

Went to the hardware store and I was going to buy a sheet of copper but I didn't feel like spending 15 bucks on a sheet so I went to the plumbing section and found copper pipe caps. Looks just like a trail tech probe after some cutting and filling. I'm going to do some side by side testing later tonight with a trail tech.

I have less then 10bucks into the entire setup! Wow I hope this works.

I have a hardware store nonpetcock il be posting about when I get the parts in from china. It should be a lot better then the petcocks that eventually leak and it only cost like $3 bucks. (edited)

IMG_0978.JPG
IMG_0977.JPG

When my mom and dad are out eating dinner.

IMG_0980.JPG

Works great! It was off y +or- 3 and some times right on (edited)

IMG_0979.JPG
IMG_0981.JPG

kevin Smellaflange /

did your test end before mom or dad got home from the restaurant?

> Brent Eaton Wrote:

> did your test end before mom or dad got home from the restaurant?

Shhhhhhh Hahaha yea...on to the next project!

I'm more then satisfied. Will update and make a video in the spring of road testing. Definitely going to make more of these instead of buying trail tech

The pasta tastes like grease lol

Alan Jackson /

ive only got mine fastened to a washer under one of the studs and am yet to fashion a washer for under the sparkplug. mine is quite a few years old and still going strong.

IMG_7758.JPG

> Alan Jackson Wrote:

> ive only got mine fastened to a washer under one of the studs and am yet

> to fashion a washer for under the sparkplug. mine is quite a few years

> old and still going strong.

Is that an rpm gauge? Could you please explain how you hooked the rpm gauge up?

Alan Jackson /

yes I have an mzb or powerdynamo ignition (now called vape) which requires an eedm type tacho with a positive pulse. (I sound like I know what im on about but im just repeating parrot fashion what I was told)

and I bought the mmb tacho from the link below and its simple to wire up loads of instructions etc

this particular mmb tacho is designed to work with the high voltage/current that the vape ignition has at the coil where you take your feed from.

older ones burnt out so they beefed it up a bit

https://mmb-instrumente.de/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&view=productdetails&virtuemart_product_id=314&virtuemart_category_id=26&lang=en

neato!

i'd like to try drilling a hole in a cylinder head and epoxying in a k-type sensor, that is how we always did it when we were checking temps while designing engines... wish i could share some of the pictures. i think the most i saw was over 200+ temp probes stuck into an engine

What engines did you design Graham?

i worked for harley davidson so i was doing work on the 2019 114 version of the milwaukee 8, i did some work on designing lines for cooling systems in the electric bike that is coming out this summer, and the other stuff is still a few years from being released but they have put out some teaser photos.

Alan Jackson /

so graham, if I drilled a hole in the head 10mm away from spark plug (exhaust side) and 5-7mm? short of going all the way through and putting my sensor wire in there and jb welding it I can imagine it would be much more accurate than soldered to a copper washer under the spark plug?

I fitted cheap chinese egt gauges to my Yamaha rd 350 after being told they give a quicker idea of impending meltdown than head temo gauges as the exhaust gas temp drops just before meltdown as deto occurs

what no one told me was the temp drops every time you open the throttle and the needles fly all over the place

all they are good for on my bike is novelty factor

> Graham Motzing Wrote:

> i worked for harley davidson so i was doing work on the 2019 114 version

> of the milwaukee 8, i did some work on designing lines for cooling

> systems in the electric bike that is coming out this summer, and the

> other stuff is still a few years from being released but they have put

> out some teaser photos.

I get all warm and fuzzy inside when I see men and woman like you posting. So many important intelligent people on MA

> Alan Jackson Wrote:

> so graham, if I drilled a hole in the head 10mm away from spark plug

> (exhaust side) and 5-7mm? short of going all the way through and putting

> my sensor wire in there and jb welding it I can imagine it would be

> much more accurate than soldered to a copper washer under the spark

> plug?

>

I thought about doing that also. Not a Big fan of the jb weld. I think if you drilled a hole just big enough the wire would stay. You could also tap a small m5 hole

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account