Universal Kickstand on Tomos

ben henderson /

I bought a universal bike kickstand off ebay for $10

I had to trim the bottom of the swing arm just a bit for the lower mounting bolt

to fit, and the backside of the kickstand has some extra metal that I had to grind away

to give more clearance to the chain. But it works good.

0209191645.jpg

Re: Universal Kickstand on Tomos

See how easy that was ? ;)

That's awful rearward,Man! Can't move it toward front any?

> Don Ohio Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> That's awful rearward,Man! Can't move it toward front any?

If he's happy with it ...

Oh,yeah,it's fine if it works for him.

I have used this stand before. Further forward interfered with kicker. It held up ped fine right there

> Tri-ped Dave Wrote:

> I have used this stand before. Further forward interfered with kicker.

> It held up ped fine right there

Good to know,Dave! The StreetMate sits higher off the road,I believe. Anyway, I bought one similar once and it was too short. I'd love to put one on the StreetMate.

ben henderson /

> Don Ohio Wrote:

> > Tri-ped Dave Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > I have used this stand before. Further forward interfered with kicker.

>

> > It held up ped fine right there

>

> Good to know,Dave! The StreetMate sits higher off the road,I believe.

> Anyway, I bought one similar once and it was too short. I'd love to put

> one on the StreetMate.

the one I bought the length of the leg is extendable...I have it almost fully retracted on my tomos. I think it can extend at least 1-2 inches.

The reason I didn't put it more toward the center of the bike is then when up the end of the stand lined up with the foot peg. Having it where I do, it extends beyond the peg far enough that I can easily kick it down with my foot. The bike is plenty stable with it where it is...but if I were using pegs in normal location or had a bike with pedals then it could go forward at least 2-3 inches without any issues.

I had to grind away 1-2mm on the bottom of the swing arm for the bottom mounting bolt of the kickstand to line up with the backing plate.

And I had to grind down 1mm or so on the backside of the kickstand to give more clearance for the chain.

Basically took 20 minutes to figure out and modify the $10 kickstand to work. The mounting plate for the original kickstand was toast, letting the bike lean dangerously to either side...so I was super happy with how well this $10 part worked! It is one of the first ones to come up on ebay if you search for universal bike kick stand.

Thanks! I might look it up!

Dirty30 Dillon /

Why have your feet all the way back there, bashing around with swingarm movement when you could have regular pegs?

I do use the passenger pegs on my Streetmate when going into a tuck, so I understand wanting to have your feet back there. Could also be he's running a pipe that interferes with the TOMOS footpegs.

Ground clearance would be another legit reason for dispensing with the TOMOS footpeg bracket, although a) longer shocks would be better for that, b) you sacrifice the protection the footpeg bracket affords your transmission, and c) if you need ground clearance, you probably don't want your feet on something unsuspended.

Whatever the reason, I'm guessing either square frame TOMOS don't have passenger pegs or he just used what he had available and that was BMX pegs. (edited)

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account