Moped carriers

Any thoughts on whether to use a designated bike carrier or cargo carrier on my rear hitch. I've seen both used. Just need some feedback, pros,cons, etc. I'm leaning toward a cargo carrier.

Re: Moped carriers

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

My own invention....the Tow-ped! I had it fabricated about 15 years ago. It's all aluminum except for the portion that goes into the hitch.

towped1.jpg
towped2.jpg

Impressive Lar!

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

Thanks!

I like having the additional vertical pole so I can quickly bungee the bike to the pole and then use tie down straps on the handlebars to secure the bike to the carrier. It's a one man operation. I can have a bike secured on my rack in less than 5 minutes.

I was wondering about the vertical. Looks like a good anti bump pole also.

20180525_171243.jpg

This is the one I made a couple years ago. I like how rigidly it holds a bike. But I hate taking the front wheel off and on every time I use it. I didn't like the width of the ones you can buy off the shelf.

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

> Les B. Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I was wondering about the vertical. Looks like a good anti bump pole

> also.

That's why I padded it with a pool noodle and then duct taped it to the pole.

tilt a rack is overkill for a moped but makes loading pretty easy

53A595F6-1305-4AF9-BB8B-91D75AB0F2D6.jpeg

Michael McCullough /

I used a cargo carrier and build a wood Stay for the ped to sit in

kevin Smellaflange /

have u seen the carriers on scooters for bicycles it's a laugh and a 1/2

Dirty30 Dillon /

I have a VERY heavy steel carrier which I cannot remember the name of, but it is mad sturdy and because the ramp bolts between the standard tray and the truck allows me to load two mopeds at once.

But I also haul motos, so I needed something that wasn't going to fold on me.

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

I like a light weight carrier for my mopeds. That's why I designed my Tow-ped using an aluminum rail. Heavy duty steel carriers are nice for much heavier motorcycles and scoots, but really overkill for mopeds. (edited)

> trick METRIC Wrote:

> This is the one I made a couple years ago. I like how rigidly it holds a

> bike. But I hate taking the front wheel off and on every time I use it.

> I didn't like the width of the ones you can buy off the shelf.

That photo fucked with me for a minute. it's the same color as the car and lines up with it, and FAR from a typical frame/tank so at first looking at it like wtf is this floating motor and where's the frame?

Lots of good racks. I favor the aluminum because of the weight. I leaning towards the cargo carrier. That way I could use it for other stuff when I don't haul my mopeds.

I have a 1 1/4 receiver but got a motorcycle carrier on eBay made for the smaller hole. It works great. The fabricator even included an anti-wobble device of his own creation that inserts into the tube

> Tri-ped Dave Wrote:

> I have a 1 1/4 receiver but got a motorcycle carrier on eBay made for

> the smaller hole. It works great. The fabricator even included an

> anti-wobble device of his own creation that inserts into the tube

Could you please post a pic or two of that anti-wobble device ?

Just saw one at Wal-Mart .com P.D.

> Les B. Wrote:

> Just saw one at Wal-Mart .com P.D.

Walmart is selling the Dave's fabricator's creation ?

Can you post a link to the Walmart ad , please ?

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

I don't know about Dave's fabricator's anti-wobble device, but I have one for my 2" receiver similar to this one:

https://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Anti-Rattle/Pro-Series/63090.html?feed=npn&gclid=EAIaIQobChMItriXxNG24AIVE18NCh1wkAmKEAQYBSABEgJad_D_BwE

Dirty30 Dillon /

https://www.discountramps.com/hitch-mounted-steel-motorcycle-carrier/p/MCC-600/

This is the ramp that I have, and it has a 4-bolt wobble reducer. Totally required when hauling mopeds that are so lite they don't load the carrier enough to prevent bouncing.

When I haul anything over moped size it usually doesn't wobble at all.

I've had the single bolt device , but , it still allowed play opposite the bolt line or direction .

Maybe the 4 bolt or even a 2 bolt type would be better . (edited)

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

I have a 3 bolt one that came with my versahaul. No wobble whatsoever with a moped or heavy scooter.

Since you have a 1.25" receiver, one bolt may be all that willl fit on there. (edited)

This one works great! I wood-blocked the extra width so StreetMate tires would be firmly fitted sinking down into the carrier. I believe I could transport it with no straps if need be,it's fits so well.

https://www.discountramps.com/black-widow-folding-dirt-bike-carrier/p/MCC-500-F/ (edited)

MyDerbiCarrier.jpg

Gonna modify my Bumper & Weld in my own hitch!

But in the mean time... Chris Bully hooked me up with

this vintage Motorcycle bumper carrier • Honest™

I don't know how to do that P.D.

Cristian Luna /

Here’s mine it’s a harbor freight cargo rack hacked up

7790522C-38EF-408E-AA5F-C5EB8F585F9D.jpeg

> Cristian Gnome Wrote:

> Here’s mine it’s a harbor freight cargo rack hacked up

wow thats great!

i was going to do that last summer but at the last minute ran out of time and took my van instead, still on my list to tackle at some point. thanks for the inspiration.

Overpriced Parts /

I cannot see how or why people want transport their bikes in a thunderstorm or worse as they’re riding down the freeway and expect them to start,

I have never transported a moped out in the elements except to buy a pick up truck and trailer worth of mopeds for 300 bucks for 25 or more of them!

F2C10A29-3F1B-45FD-8259-2ABE2C5BA566.jpeg

Most times why a moped won’t start is because the switches are wet and corroded beyond belief!

Keep your bikes inside your van pwhen transporting in all weather and you’ll never have problems but what do I know after 40 + years of moped 2 stroke bike use!

> Les B. Wrote:

> I don't know how to do that P.D.

Les ,

It pretty simple : go to the page that has what you want to link to ; copy the page address ( URL ) ; then click the little chain above the thread reply box ; paste the URL where prompted and hit OK and a description and hit OK .

That should add a clickable link like : cheap carrier (edited)

So...this doesn't truly answer your question. but if you're planning on like really getting into mopeds. going to rallies. picking up good deals on bikes. etc... I HIGHLY recommend getting a van. it will change your life. Its a moped hauler + mini house. you can bring all your peoples mopeds across the country, and never have to worry about where to crash. if it rains, you got a dry place to sleep next to your bike. if a good deal on a bike pops up in town, you can be the first person to scoop it cause you don't have to call that guy you know that has a truck first. it really is a magical square on wheels.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account