Moped in NV with no MCO

Rusty Zimmerman /

I bought a moped recently from a private party, and they had a VIN inspection done

(which is required for registration) on it and gave me that but didn't have the MCO. The DMV won't register it without the MCO or some type of proof of ownership. I am at a loss and not sure what to do. Assuming the moped hasn't been reported stolen, are there any options I have to be able to register it and ride it?

Re: Moped in NV with no MCO

Research the Vermont trick.

What is an MCO ?

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

Manufacturer's certificate of origin (edited)

> Moped Lar (OFMC) Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Manufacturer's certificate of origin

Thanks . :)

Where I come from that was never a requirement . A Bill Of Sale or signed title was enough .

I thought Nevada was a no tittle no plate state for 50cc bikes? Did you buy a large bore scooter? If so look into the Vermont trick as mentioned above, you will get a transferable registration and a plate in the mail.

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

I think he's got a scooter, not a moped.

Rusty Zimmerman /

Nevada requires registration but not titling. It’s a 49cc moped. They won’t register it without some kind of proof of ownership though.

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

Does it have pedals? What's the name of the manufacturer? (edited)

Rusty Zimmerman /

It’s a Chinese knockoff of the Honda ruckus. Manufacture is TaoTao. Called the Cruiser 50. And no pedals. Just foot pegs. (edited)

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

Regardless what NV calls it, you actually have a scooter, not a moped.

It's not a moped then, and needs to be registered. The MCO is what you use to get a title issued. Go to a scooter site, and search about MCOs.

Rusty Zimmerman /

Ok. They classify anything 49cc and under as a moped and anything above as a motorcycle. The difference is really just in the licensing, titleing and insurance requirements or lack there of, for use on the road. Outside of the DMV I understand that this is considered a scooter now. I’ll remember that going forward thanks.

Rusty Zimmerman /

I get what the MCO is, I just don’t have it and neither does the person I bought it from. In retrospect it was my mistake for buying it without one, but since I’m stuck with it now I am trying to figure out what I can do, assuming the person I bought it from didn’t steal it. I will gladly go the Vermont route if that’s my only option which seems like that might be the case. The DMV wasn’t exactly clear on what would provide the proof of ownership They need aside from the MCO. Is there anything else that might work besides the Vermont issued title? (edited)

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

Since you have a modern Chinese scooter, the VT route might not be available to you now.

Rusty Zimmerman /

Ahh since it’s a 2015 model eh? Great. :(

Have the VIN run by the police to see if it is hot, if not maybe get someone from a non-title state to write you a bill of sale?

Rusty Zimmerman /

I mean.. technically Nevada is a no title state for anything 49cc or lower which is what the bike says on it, so I could just try to get the guy (or any guy/gal?) to write up a bill of sale? Does the bill of sale need to be notarized?

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account