There are still some smart, nice teenagers out there.

Larry Picarello /
101_0559.JPG

Just sold a project Motobecane (you can see the listing in buy/sell forum) to a father/son duo. I was very impressed with the 14 year old who was curious, smart, & polite.

Many happy memories will be made, & it was just a great transaction that totally restored my faith in today's youth.

Re: There are still some smart, nice teenagers out there.

Glad to hear!

That's awesome.

> Francois Labat Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Glad to hear!

>

> That's awesome.

And also, good parents.

I know a lot of parents that would never approve of their child getting something like this. Hopefully they are supporting his decision in buying that which makes it all the better.

Nice going,Larry! Hope they get it restored and enjoy it for years.

Best news I've read all day. Great story!

Ha . I guess they aren't all doomed . ;)

You didn't tell them about this site , did you ? LOL

kevin Smellaflange /

i airbrushed a maiden emerging from a lake on the tank of my red batavus (tank over),

then one fine day this 15 year old boy came up with cash and wanted to buy this as his first powered object.

but his mom came over as i requested & she let him buy it as long as he scotched taped a piece of paper over the image...he came by 6 months later for a visit & told me he always kept extra paper & tape, because he took off the paper when he was out ridin' around.

It"s amazing you found a teenager that is willing to pry his face off his smartphone and do something in the non-cyber world. I'm sure it will be terrifying for him at first lol.

Brandon Weiss (Detective brandon to you) /

> Brent Eaton Wrote:

> i airbrushed a maiden emerging from a lake on the tank of my red batavus

> (tank over),

>

> then one fine day this 15 year old boy came up with cash and wanted to

> buy this as his first powered object.

>

> but his mom came over as i requested & she let him buy it as long as he

> scotched taped a piece of paper over the image...he came by 6 months

> later for a visit & told me he always kept extra paper & tape, because

> he took off the paper when he was out ridin' around.

Depending on how good that maiden on the tank was, i'd say it could be worse than texting and riding! Lol

I met this incredible 15 year old kid last summer in response to a Craigslist ad for a pair of AMF Roadmaster 110's. The kid was always fixing neighbor kids' bikes because nobody knew how to even repair a flat tire. The kid sold me the 2 mopeds, but he made sure 1 of them ran before I eventually took the pair home. He showed me a snow blower that he found at the curb that he had fixed. The owner had thrown it out and the only issue was bad gas.

This kid was polite, intelligent, and even kind enough to bury a dead mallard duckling he found in his yard that the neighbor''s dog had killed.

Hell, I wouldn't have known how to get that Roadmaster running... The kid had a huge wad of cash sitting on his work bench, more money than I had in my pocket!

Facebook marketplace went and banned him because somebody reported that he was selling firearms. The kid responded, "I just turned 15, I can't even BUY firearms, I have no idea what this is about!"

Anyway, I think this kid will go far. He actually knows how to fix broken things. One of his friends couldnt come over. His bike had a flat tire and he was waiting for his mom to buy him a brand new bike! You or I or the kid would have gone to Walmart and picked up a $5 inner tube.

Facepalm.

It was a pleasure meeting that young man. He certainly puts my 2 boys to shame.

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

My wife's nephew in CT is like that. He's 17 years old, very polite, smart and very mechanically inclined. He's going to a highly acclaimed four year university next year to study engineering. He recently picked up a Jawa and diagnosed the bike with a bad thyristor before he even knew that the thyristor was the weak link in the jawas electrical system. He performed all the diagnostics and zeroed in on the thyristor. We ordered a new one from overseas and the bike now runs like a charm. He's going to sell it in the spring to subsidize other two wheel projects. (edited)

The 15 yr. old sounds a lot like myself at that age. Fixing other people's bikes, getting a rep as a handyman before I turned 17. Had already been working at 16 in my older Bro's race car garage.

Wouldn't have buried the duck,though. Might've tossed him to the foxes in the woods behind our house.LOL!

πΏπ‘–π‘˜π‘Ž-πΏπ‘œπ‘‘π‘Žπ‘ π‘Žπ‘’π‘Ÿ π‘€π‘’π‘”π‘Žπ‘π‘’π‘  πŸ¦– /

The kid around here fix the couch yesterday. Heck yeah!

> Trent Anderson Wrote:

> I met this incredible 15 year old kid last summer in response to a

> Craigslist ad for a pair of AMF Roadmaster 110's. The kid was always

> fixing neighbor kids' bikes because nobody knew how to even repair a

> flat tire. The kid sold me the 2 mopeds, but he made sure 1 of them ran

> before I eventually took the pair home. He showed me a snow blower that

> he found at the curb that he had fixed. The owner had thrown it out and

> the only issue was bad gas.

>

> This kid was polite, intelligent, and even kind enough to bury a dead

> mallard duckling he found in his yard that the neighbor''s dog had

> killed.

>

> Hell, I wouldn't have known how to get that Roadmaster running... The

> kid had a huge wad of cash sitting on his work bench, more money than I

> had in my pocket!

>

> Facebook marketplace went and banned him because somebody reported that

> he was selling firearms. The kid responded, "I just turned 15, I can't

> even BUY firearms, I have no idea what this is about!"

>

> Anyway, I think this kid will go far. He actually knows how to fix

> broken things. One of his friends couldnt come over. His bike had a

> flat tire and he was waiting for his mom to buy him a brand new bike!

> You or I or the kid would have gone to Walmart and picked up a $5 inner

> tube.

>

> Facepalm.

>

> It was a pleasure meeting that young man. He certainly puts my 2 boys

> to shame.

This is SO refreshing to hear!

Jerry Franek /

I'm lurking the MA for the first time in six months and see your post Larry. Yup, the good kids I met with their tattoos and rings and friendly helpful attitude kept me interested in peds past my "ride by" date. They make the moped hobby unique.

Dirty30 Dillon /

Y'all wax nostalgic, but the demographic you are describing is not as technology-obsessed and dependent as you'd think.

« Go to Topics β€” end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account