Reproducing Catseye Turn Signals

If i buy this Puch I'm going to look at (yeah i probably will, or look for a Maxi) the one thing i don't like is the lack of any turn signals. After much reading, and looking at the parts list for the aftermarket catsetye setup. I think i can recreate it using more modern materials and parts.

In the parts list it mentions a capacitor, but not the rating I'm assuming its a 6V cap, but how many farads? and theres also a silicon diode in the part list, again, what sort of rating, if someone has an actual photo of any wiring/circuit board so i can see how its put together. Id be grateful. first id like to see how the original was done, and then reproduce a clone, but using more modern tech, so LED turn signals, and a small LI-Ion type battery pack that can charge from the mag.

I don't know about over in the US, but here in the UK id feel a lot safer having turn signals on the bike. Im pretty handy with a soldering iron. and done a fair bit of wiring on various bikes. hopefully I can knock something together with some help, why re-invent the wheel, just adapt and modify.

Re: Reproducing Catseye Turn Signals

Dirty30 Dillon /

It would make more sense, and simplify construction and engineering to use a Li-Ion battery that charges remotely. The input power needed to charge a Li-Ion has to be very clean DC, so you'd have to rectify and regulate the bike in addition to adding the turnsignal wiring

kevin Smellaflange /

secret cellar moped lair...YouTube

ie; rebel moby

this canadian bloke already made a vid on how to do this very idea ... cheers

True, but id much prefer an all in system, so it isn't dependent on me remembering to charge a battery. I have seen other Puch bikes based on the E50 motor with indicators (turn signals) as standard. Has anyone modified there bikes to add signals? I have tried googling, and the only info i can find is about these cateye setups, and being 25+yrs old now, the batteries and wiring will be pretty crappy by now on any second hand sets. I did see the Monza has turn signals and could find wiring diagrams for them how much alike is the wiring to a standard maxi or free spirit?

Here in the UK a moped needs to have a brake light, tail light and headlamp with high/low or just low, if turn signals are fitted, they have to be operational before it will pass its annual MOT test, which is a cert of road worthiness. I want to come up with something that fits into the existing wiring smoothly and not to much hacking around.

Thanks Brent. I shall go try and find this Vid.

After watching that video, sure I can see how he has wired it up to a battery, but the flasher can is 12v, the Puch is 6v. I have tried looking for a 6v version of that adjustable relay. one description on aliexpress says 6v 12v, but further in the specs it says 12v only.. it could just be bad pidgin english that you find on places like aliexpress. but id hate to wait 5-6weeks for it to turn up and be useless.. even if its just $3.63.

Thing is as well, it was more of a ghetto setup wiring demo of led turn signals than an explanation as to where to feed off power from your mag (id assume headlamp wiring is an easy tap) switch wiring etc.. id prefer some more together, with less guesswork.

Is this the video you are reffering to Brent?

(edited)

Jeremy Homser /

I like these kits because they are a good start and the switch looks similar to stock puch controls

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F361221139730

Overpriced Parts /

Best bet is to get a used cateye signal set from eBay or on moped army buy+sell forum,

Replace the cells and flasher if needed,

Very easy to hook up, just connect the one power wire to the yellow light wire under the light switch and the rest is grounded through the mounting of lights but you have to leave your headlight switch on on otherwise you can overcharge the batteries/ni cad cells.

I have signals now on most all my bikes ever since my area has been overdeveloped with new drivers that come here from all over the world (as well as the many new police officers) don’t know what hand signals are.

5EDA5704-DEE3-4622-BA40-06B5C67621EE.jpeg

I like the black box cateye signals because they have a beeper when on that helps re-mind you that your signal is flashing

2F672451-FA4A-41D7-B3D2-0CBE49CBBD7F.jpeg
15556D25-3EAE-4A5C-9EF7-9B210DA01FF4.jpeg

^ this, the bulbs are plenty bright, and the system works well, a new battery pack can be built for you by any RC hobby shop. Would also be 6v. Sundaymorningmotors.com

had some for sale I think?

kevin Smellaflange /

yes..that's the guru...

John Konstantine /

It is less expensive to buy a decent used catseye turn signal signal system & replace the battery pack with a new pack.

However, if you have some electronics hobby/soldering experience, you can buy some off the shelf parts to build a nice turn signal system for your moped. The write up below worked well for me; however, you use this at your own risk with no guarantees.

For a Minarelli V1 moped with 6volt lighting coil system where one side of lighting coil is grounded:

- I used an off the shelf turn signal kit from Amazon that had mounting brackets for the turn signal/bulbs, handlebar switch, flasher (6V replacement flasher from ebay with buzzer), and several feet of wire.

K&S Turn signal Kit form amazon

- I bought/used/mounted some used Honda CT70 turns signals & put 6V bulbs into them.

- I wired together a small circuit board with a series fuse that was connected to lighting coil output side where protected fuse side was wired to anode of @ 10A series MBR1045 diode (MBR1045 with greater than 35 PIV voltage rating) where I wired cathode of diode to + side of a 35V @ 220ufd electrolytic capacitor. Negative (-) side of capactor was connected to ground. MBR1045 diode was TO220 package & mounted to TO200 heatsink MBR1045 Diode

- I bought/used/mounted a gel cell (6 VOLT 4.5 AH GEL CELL) into a nice plastic 3x5 card holder box to hold circuit board and gel cell. Positive terminal of gel cell was connected to cathode of MBR1045 diode and negative terminal of gel cell was connected to ground. 6V @ 4.5AH gel cell

-A 2nd fuse for output protection is connected to + Positive termianl of gel cell. Other output protected side of this 2nd fuse is connected to rest of turn signal kit as the battery power for it.

Cat-Eye-Turn-Signal-Set-BL700-page-2.jpg

John Konstantine /

I included part of the Cat-eye turn signal instruction sheet in the above post for comparison/reference.

I know I have some nos Cateye parts at the warehouse. I'll dig them up next week and see what's what. The control box on one set I found was black but I think I saw some of the more common ones.

I would be interested in one of those if it's NOS and the condition was good.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account