Puch City, help me identify the parts.

have cut a deal to go buy a 1984 Puch City, if its as described and everything works as it should. it shall be mines! here is the bike..

51249902_626528967784338_5312010943192891392_n.jpg
51349612_346313636093396_7524861953328545792_n.jpg
51169492_314030082792136_6411749594350223360_n-1.jpg

The bike has an aftermarket 70cc kit, and an expansion chamber exhaust fitted as well as a new carb. I've asked him if he can remember which kit he installed, but he cant yet.. but said that the box it came in is at the garage so he will say when he is there to check it out.

i will attach another pic in a following post as it says I've reached max attachments. it shows the carb and the cylinder, perhaps a more knowledge can identify it from the photo.. or ill have to wait till i go to check it over next week.

Re: Puch City, help me identify the parts.

Here is the only photo i have of the kit he fitted and the carb.. any ideas?

51773012_256248931937481_2268128862732812288_n.jpg

The bike is a little pricy to me, but they all seem to make good money in the uk he asked £550 (about $700), I've got him down to £425 ($550), but in the flesh ill find some fault and a excuse to offer £400 ($520) and wave the notes under his nose, hell i may offer £375 ($485) as a cheeky bid.. if it turns out to be a bit of a Monet... great as a pic, but a mess up close.

If someone can Identify that carb, and possibly the cylinder, there is a mark if you zoom right in on the top fin, but i cant make it out.

Just how desirable are these peds? he said even in the uk its fairly rare, last couple that sold went for £1200 ($1555) and £1100 ($1425) but they were in mint condition. this ones all there, running and modified a little, I know in the states they wouldn't make that much.

How fast should it go with a 70cc kit on? no port matching asaik, just bolt on kit and pipe. if it gets more than 35 to 40 id be happy. should I make sure the heads matched to the piston? He said he hasn't run it in properly yet. what was the standard size of car and make? what is default jetting for that carb? in case i want to go back to standard. reliability is foremost.

That looks alot like a Sears freesprit, which was sold here in the US..I wouldn't really call it a rare bike here,no clue about over there...

Carb is a standard Bing, which came on these stock. I can't tell for sure, but I kinda doubt that it was upgraded with a bigger one. There is a stamping on the side of the carb that'll tell you how big the Venturi are....if it's a 14 or 15mm Bing, it may be worth keeping. If it's a 12mm, ur gonna want to swap it.

Exhaust is a biturbo style dealy

I couldn't tell you about the kit, but with the 12 Bing I imagine it would probably do 35....but you really want a bigger carb to get the power out of the 70cc kit...IF it's a 70cc at all.

Hear it run before you buy it, I would be concerned about why he's selling it right after kitting the bike...

it is 70cc. he has all the boxes it came in, and the receipts for it. its not a free spirit, but similar, based on same motor. but various frame parts are different. there was a free spirit close by I went to see, but it was pretty crappy condition wise, but I can see the differences between them. The standard exhaust, barrel and head with carb is coming with it, the carb is a little larger than stock so probably the 15mm, if its a bing at least I can rest easy it isn't a Chinese knock off of a mikuni... those things have caused me a world of pain in the past with Honda C90 cubs (passports in US) as there sold as a replacement on ebay for the real thing.. junk. better to fix the old original. But in case the carb isn't up to much, whats a good quality replacement? only original dellortos, mikuni etc. I have messed with bings in the past but a little larger, on my MZ 250 ETZ east german 2 stroker. I know they aint fantastic carbs, but better than the original BVF, suffice to say it now runs a genuine mikuni VM30

If the kit isn't up to scratch either how about the gilardoni 74cc reed valve job from treatland? I'm buying the ped next week as its a bit from my place. i should have it here a week later, ill give it a run or 2 to see how it beds in, still allowing me a week or two before i travel to the US. how long does treatland take to ship if the stuffs in stock? ill only be in NY for 4 nights. if the bike don't feel up to much ill be rebuilding and port matching the motor anyways, I'm used to pulling apart large capacity v-twins, and have access to a complete marine engineering workshop with mills, lathes, tig welding equipment etc so it be nice to see whats possible with this tiny bike, if its running ok, ill keep it as is, I'm only gonna use it to go 2 miles back and forward to my partners place, or 1/4 mile from my place to my garage. and thanks guys for any info. any known faults i should look out for? other than the usual 2 stroke stuff like air leaks, crank seals etc. I'm guessing the fenders are aluminium? one i noticed has a tiny ding, if its alloy i can get that out with panel beating tools.

do the forks use chrome tubes like on reg bigger bikes, or is it just springs, rubbers and tube don't have to retain a oil tight seal? are the forks the same as the reg maxi? reason I'm asking is I'm 6ft 2", 225lb... i may have to beef up the front and rear suspension a bit. always good to know what will and wont fit. I guess most maxi engine parts will be fine, and only the odd chassis part,

Maybe once you get hold of it, if you get hold of it, you'll be able to identify more about it and answer your own questions. Til then, it's a bird in the bush.

We did not get those here in the American market, it looks close to a puch x40. Pretty cool. Looks like a good deal, you should give him his price.

I would guess they fall somewhere between uncommon and rare.

Just the parts on that are probably worth 500. (edited)

Forks look similar to magnum MKII units, which are hydraulic and have a inner tube that holds oil. You can see an exploded view in the puch manuals found online.

The cylinder has the round AIRSAL date stamp....

> Bob Selby Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> The cylinder has the round AIRSAL date stamp....

PhotoGrid_1549418086741.jpg

Nice eye bob.

Thats what i wanted to know, oh well i dunno if its much good from the little reading I've done its a bit meh quality wise? so id be better spending some cash on the gilardoni setup whilst its available, and a decent exhaust. I like the challenge in doing a good setup. partly why i like this thing. lots of parts, and lots of info to modify the parts. and it isnt the regular maxi, its different enough... not to much chrome either, it always goes wrong here, salted roads, rain.. urgh

I managed to work out it's a Puch AX40. The wheels are 12". Closest model you got was the X40. But pics I've seen for that show 12" spoked rims. So it seems it's pretty uncommon. The only thing I can't work out yet is if it has the usual E50 motor or the same version as the korado. Any way to identify without pulling it apart?

It’s a Puch, based on the X40 as stated, Kromag Free Spirits were derived from the same model with variations on the wheels, suspension and other minor components. Pretty good deal too.

Forks are hydraulic, which Are among the best moped forks made, and shocks are standard spring types - Magnum MKII shocks are hydraulic and waaaaaaay better.

The carb looks like a 15 Bing clone, meh quality and more fragile than original Bings but they’re serviceable. Airsal 70 is a decent kit that’ll give you what you’re looking for - don’t mess with Gilas until you know what you’re doing because you’ll need to do some serious upgrades & mods to handle the torque, plus you’ll likely be blowing out a lot of clutches.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account