Hanging cables

I've got a lot of cables of all varieties. Suddenly I visualized them hanging from something on a wall. Somebody has got to have done this. Pictures??? I don't want to bother reinventing the wheel.

Re: Hanging cables

I found a couple of these in my garage and the work great. I dunno, they were just there so it worked.

Steel 5.25-in D x 7.63-in L x 1.55-in W White Shelf Bracket https://www.lowes.com/pd/Steel-5.25-in-D-x-7.63-in-L-x-1.55-in-W-White-Shelf-Bracket/4651457 (edited)

I use old tape reels on nails

i have a long (4-5' long) skinny 6x6 cardboard box that i got from my old job, they shipped $40,000 sensors in it so its very heavy duty high quality cardboard. It works perfect, the longer cables just get folded in two.

my wall-space is at a premium with shelves, workbenches, etc. so i didn't want to burn up a chunk of wall, plus as you know i've moved like 8 times in the last 10 years so its nice having things in a box.

I use discarded hose reels for my extension cords . Don't know about cables..

Show me a picture. I can't visualize it. I want to hang them vertically. Can't figure how to hold them.

A little wood , a few screws and cut some slots :

That^ flat to the wall or style the holder like a shelf bracket and take up less wall space .

Pd ...looks like can open up a 1940s bell telephone switchboard...did u watch The marvelous Mr maisel on Netflix. Your cables work there. It's just that the gnarp on a moped canle is kinda small so the gaps.in the wood to slide it in will be microscopic.

yeah just a single saw cut would be perfect for something like that, thats actually a really rad idea!

I'm so tripping over crap falling on the floor.

Dirty30 Dillon /

why not just loop them and hang on rack?

Yeah, you could copy PD's by just using single bandsaw/hacksaw kerfs instead.

I think pd s is the ticket. Cut super thin. That's my plan.

> Marc Friedman Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I think pd s is the ticket. Cut super thin. That's my plan.

Remember that some cables come with a knarp on only one end . Maybe cut a couple slots just wide enough that you can slip a cable housing in and it stays .

Or , if you have some rubber thick enough to hold form , it could have a single cut , centered in a wider slot in the wood , then fastened to the top of the slotted wood .

That would allow just about any cable to be slipped into any slot and stay .

i mean if you want real dang simple- cable housings are all made of steel. just get a magnetic bar and screw it to the wall.

Alex ... Even better idea.

> alex . Wrote:

> i mean if you want real dang simple- cable housings are all made of

> steel. just get a magnetic bar and screw it to the wall.

That would work , except :

I've seen some housings that are definitely plastic and not just the outside sheath .

The complete housing , end caps and all .

Granted , Only a few , but ... (edited)

Those would be bad cables haha.

Also I like your instrument cable management. My 5000 cables are individually tied and in a briefcase lol

> alex . Wrote:

> Those would be bad cables haha.

>

> Also I like your instrument cable management. My 5000 cables are

> individually tied and in a briefcase lol

Maybe that's why I've seen only a few .

And , thanks , but , those aren't my cables . I will take credit for the rack .

I built and used a rack like that more than once through the years . The first was when I had a motorcycle repair shop , back in the early 70s .

Alan Jackson /

I have this problem with usb cables, I have about 50 of them. I just loop them all around a pole that sticks up above a shelf. another pole or two would make it easier to select the right one.

Dirty30 Dillon /

Why do you have 50 usb cables...

Alan Jackson /

> Dirty30 Dillon Wrote:

> Why do you have 50 usb cables...

I like a huge reserve because they don't seem to last very long and keep snapping. when I use them for the front brake they last a while longer as I rarely use the brakes

but for the clutch they only last about 2 or 3 pulls...

Alan Jackson /

actually just counted and I have 30 usb cables. I got them for 2 camcorders latest one uses usb charging and different one for data transfer, 5 iPhone, two ipod, one mp3 player, 1 isaw helmet cam, 1 dashcam, 1 head torch , iPhone docking station, nexus 7, Samsung tablet, 4 digital cameras, 2 mine 1 wife 1 daughter, 2 would you believe for adult toy charging, (not mine!!) 1 iPhone power pack, garming sat nav, scala headset x 2, and more I cant remember till I need them.

I probably do have over 50 from old phones and equipment as I don't throw anything (hoarder) but I only keep the ones I use ready to hand.

here's a pic as I detect some doubt (cant you tell i'm off work bored?)

IMG_7757.JPG
« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account