CA riders, License, Insurance Etc.

What's everyone's situation in CA?

Is your moped registered (Display plates)

Do you have an M1?

Do you have it insured?

I have 0. Planned on having 0, but think I will get all 3 since i plan on doing 45-50.

Re: CA riders, License, Insurance Etc.

Get everything.

It's easy and cheap.

Chp generally know the rules.

You might get away with just the registration and insurance if the local cop is a dummy.

Reg and insurance are the fastest and easiest. Get those first and then at least if you get pulled over you have paperwork and look like a responsible citizen who is "on the books." pretty easy to argue that you didn't think you needed a license for a motorized bicycle (since you don't, but you do need one for a moped, so the whole thing is generally confusing.)

But I agree having all 3 is the best way to go

atleast get a plate, no m1 required, no insurance required.

> pat splat Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> atleast get a plate, no m1 required, no insurance required.

I think insurance is required and M1 is required because they stopped the M2 licenses here.

it's all required.

> Mike Boyd Wrote:

> it's all required.

Does your insurance cover it as a motorcycle?

Yeah both Progressive and Geico motorcycle insurance allow you to enter in most models (at least Puch and Honda that I've tried in the past) and it was something like $70 a year for liability

no groms no blasters /

I love it when this thread comes up, people give the right answer, and then some goofball comes in with, "YOU DON'T NEED NUFFIN FER A MOPED"

I dont get why people in California keep saying that you dont need a license or insurance, and they insist on it. Maybe because it used to be that all you needed was a bicycle licence and helmet but that was a long time ago. Hate all the Craigslist add that say moped for sale no licence required.

I ride a registered/ plated bike, a m1 but only m2 is required but no longer available so u do the m2 test and get a m1 licence. I Don't do the insurance although i should/ is required. I have been pulled over in san diego, once i ran a stop sign while holding a cell, i was checking max speed. The older cop did not know a thing about mopeds even tried finding the codes in the book but was not savi enough to understand so i got away with not having licence or insurance on a plated bike he was stumped on having no registration experation . He let off since he claimed he did not know how to write the ticket. Other time a cop pulled me over for speeding i was going 45 on a 45mph street, the bike tops out at 45 since it was loud the guy thought i was going faster and wanted to give me a ticket even after presenting facts and show him the spedo did not go that fast he only let me go after i peddeled the bike out of the way since he pulled me over a high traffic area. From speaking to cops that are clients of mine i find that very few do know the laws but mostly they dont and it usually the older ones that kinda have a clue.

People think you don’t need anything because of how the dmv website lists everything and flows into the designation of low power ebikes that don’t require license/reg. people skim through and don’t actually read it because they’re dumb. :)

ok smart asses, show me the legalese where it states its required to have insurance for a moped in ca...where? And by default u cant take the m1 driving test without insurance, they wont allow it, been thru this already. stop making up stich.

op questions is that if hes doing 45-50, its no longer considered a moped, then u gotta register as a scooter, get yearly registration and insurance and have scooter endorsement or motorcycle endorsement.

kevin Smellaflange /

dmv websites are clear enough...u just need to be able to comprehend basic facts, keep vaping it's all ok; lol

California vehicle code section 406 has been updated and DMV has never updated the information on their website. CVC 406(b) states that moped manufacturers must inform buyers that their insurance coverage may not cover them while riding a moped and should consult with their carrier on getting coverage.

Further, in California, all motorized vehicles operated on the street must carry at least the minimum insurance required, with the exception of electric bicycles that are under 1k watts with a top speed of 20 (like jump bikes).

Captain Janeway /

> Chris Squid Wrote:

> California vehicle code section 406 has been updated and DMV has never

> updated the information on their website. CVC 406(b) states that moped

> manufacturers must inform buyers that their insurance coverage may not

> cover them while riding a moped and should consult with their carrier on

> getting coverage.

>

> Further, in California, all motorized vehicles operated on the street

> must carry at least the minimum insurance required, with the exception

> of electric bicycles that are under 1k watts with a top speed of 20

> (like jump bikes).

too bad their stupid website lists:

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/motorcycles/motorcycles

off the DMV site. Says you need a M2 and are exempt from motor vehicle financial responsibility, but

1) I think you're a fool if you don't have insurance in a state as litigious as CA and

2) I've heard they're getting rid of M2 as well. I'm wondering if they maybe haven't updated their site. Besides, passing the M1 gives you more options and it has a great defensive driving program. Just drive like you have a target on your back.

I wish they'd get it together. If their site's anything like the one I have to deal with for my business licensing, it's about 10 years behind the actual regulation.

Go get insurance. (edited)

The exempt from financial responsibility section on dmv site refers to 406(b) in the old code which was the section about ebikes under 1k watts and under 20mph.

> Captain Janeway Wrote:

> > Chris Squid Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > California vehicle code section 406 has been updated and DMV has never

>

> > updated the information on their website. CVC 406(b) states that moped

>

> > manufacturers must inform buyers that their insurance coverage may not

>

> > cover them while riding a moped and should consult with their carrier

> on

>

> > getting coverage.

>

> >

>

> > Further, in California, all motorized vehicles operated on the street

>

> > must carry at least the minimum insurance required, with the exception

>

> > of electric bicycles that are under 1k watts with a top speed of 20

>

> > (like jump bikes).

>

> too bad their stupid website lists:

>

> https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/motorcycles/motorcycles

>

> off the DMV site. Says you need a M2 and are exempt from motor vehicle

> financial responsibility, but

>

> 1) I think you're a fool if you don't have insurance in a state as

> litigious as CA and

>

> 2) I've heard they're getting rid of M2 as well. I'm wondering if they

> maybe haven't updated their site. Besides, passing the M1 gives you more

> options and it has a great defensive driving program. Just drive like

> you have a target on your back.

>

> I wish they'd get it together. If their site's anything like the one I

> have to deal with for my business licensing, it's about 10 years behind

> the actual regulation.

>

> Go get insurance.

I think that's what it is.

At the end of the day, unfortunately you can get into a wreck. No one want's that but the day you do you could be thousands in the hole. Medical and damages can add up like crazy. I think it comes down to just insuring urself really

no groms no blasters /

someone once wrote on here that if the cop is giving you shit for your registration form not having an expiration date, or for your registration coming up in his computer with a weird date or no date, to ask him to run his own plates. government plates don't need stickers and their registration never expires, just like ours.

kevin Smellaflange /

that'll go over well especially if his cruiser has a head light out at the time...

been there done that....lol

Besides using a motorcycle or 150cc scooter, or taking the DMV school, has anyone been able to take their driving skill test on a moped (or scooter, shifty 50, etc?)

I've heard it's been done, and with all the Chinese scooters around here, I can't believe everyone of those guys have an M1...

> baird co Wrote:

> Besides using a motorcycle or 150cc scooter, or taking the DMV school,

> has anyone been able to take their driving skill test on a moped (or

> scooter, shifty 50, etc?)

>

> I've heard it's been done, and with all the Chinese scooters around

> here, I can't believe everyone of those guys have an M1...

Yeah but it's one of those things, if it's the law, you might as well do it.

If I was going 20-25 I wouldn't do anything and I'd tell em to f off.

I plan on going 45+ so being realistic with myself I expect someone to pull me over someday.

> baird co Wrote:

> Besides using a motorcycle or 150cc scooter, or taking the DMV school,

> has anyone been able to take their driving skill test on a moped (or

> scooter, shifty 50, etc?)

>

> I've heard it's been done, and with all the Chinese scooters around

> here, I can't believe everyone of those guys have an M1...

As long as the vehicle is registered, requires an M1 to operate, and has all of the necessary components for the test (functioning high and low beam, functioning turn signals, functioning tail and brake light, functioning horn, mirrors, functioning front and rear brake) you should be able to use it for the test.

There is no CC limit, I used to loan out my Honda Elite 80 to friends to take the test.

Kenneth Thompson /

Page 1 of the California motorcycle handbook clearly states that all motorcycles, mopeds, motorized bicycles, etc. must have insurance to operate or park on public roads (with exception to electric bicycles meeting certain criteria.) Page 1 also states that all elements of the California Motor vehicle code that apply to 4 wheel vehicles apply to all 2 wheel motor vehicles unless otherwise contradicted. California code requires financial responsibility for any and all vehicles parked or operated on public roads as well. California law requires that any vehicle requiring registration for on road use have insurance- Vehcloes classified as motor scooters and certain electric bikes excluded. California vehicle code 16500.5 and much of division 7 describes in detail that no motor vehicle used in transport of passenger shall be operated without insurance. The HSC, CIC, CVC, CHP... its a long list. But all say the same thing. A moped is considered a motor vehicle just like a car or motorcycle save the experience that allow limited bike lane operation and other restrictions like no freeway use. Is it motorized? Yes. Is it a stand up scooter (razor style) operating at a maximum speed of 15mph? No. Is it an electric bike class 3 or below? No. Does it require an M endorsement? Yes. Does it require registration? Yes. Is it operated on public roadways or paths? If you say “yes” to the last one- California law is unequivocally clear that you require proof of financial responsibility to operate it.

yes. somebody pin that last post to the main page so we don't have to go over this every time plz

Thank you for taking the time to type it all out in a coherent post, Kenneth! A+

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account