Moped fail of the week

What's up I'm trying to record some moped fails for the Moped Monday Podcast so if you have a funny story about how hard you blew It working on your moped post it here and let me know if I can record you telling your story.

I once seized a brand new bidalot kit because I forgot to tighten the screw for the carb mount. 1st test ride out the gates in front of the shop. I made it all of two blocks and had one of the worst walks of shame in my life. I threw a new piston in it and it still ripped dicks pretty hard so I guess It wasn't all bad.

Let me get your story and lets keep making mopeds fun in 2019

FYCRAM

IMG_0063.JPG

Re: Moped fail of the week

man this is a great idea,

i was just recalling a story yesterday about one of my worst/ most embarassing fails

I had a general 5 star back when i lived in NC. I didn't ride much since my commute was like 20 miles on the highway, but i had it tuned up and running pretty good. My wife and I rode dubs at 'Hells Orphans' and were doing 45 (and by that i mean mid 30's) and keeping up with the pack just fine.

When i got ready to go to JTT a few months later i ported the top end, decked the head, and upgraded from the 12 SHA to a 14 bing. We were packing up to drive to WI to do the trip so I basically slapped it together, made sure it worked, and brought a couple Jets just in case.

Well, we get out there and the damn thing wont break 30, no power anywhere, just crawling. The whole ride there and the whole ride back, every gas station i'm swapping jets, changing timing, fuckig with everything just trying to get 1-2 mph out of this thing. Being a super bummer and whining about it the whole trip. Finally I advanced the fuck out of the timing where it ran best and soft siezed it like 5 or 6 times in a row.

Finally we get back home and i'm just so pissed and fed up, i buy a kit, carb everything.... go to tear it down.

The bing had the wrong slide in it and was only opening about half way.

Brandon Weiss (Detective brandon to you) /

I was heading to the local airfield to do some top speed runs/tuning on my maxi. There's a long stretch of 40mph road called Flatbush Avenue that goes a for a few miles before you get there. I was going along at a solid 40 keeping up with traffic, when something suddenly feels VERY wrong.....my handling goes to sh!t, my steering is all over the place....and then, the rear starts coming out from behind me, essentially like i was doing a super long and continuous powerslide/drift. What is happening to the truck in this video is exactly what was happening to me:

Anyway, i pull over quickly, and notice that both my axle nuts were about to fall off, they had almost completely unthreaded. So, my rear wheel was free to move left and right, like rear wheel steering. LUCKILY, the maxi swingarm holds the axle captive with the closed end that has an opening only underneath for the axle to escape. If it was an open ended axle like the new model tomos for example, and my chains were loose enough, the rear wheel could have just fallen right off.

There's nothing quite as scary as having your moped go "wet noodle" and inexplicably start turning into the car to your left at 40mph.

The worst part was having to call my buddies who were there already to come rescue me, somebody thankfully had an adjustable wrench just large enough for the axle nuts.

Now, all of my axles get loctite.

Dirty30 Dillon /

When I was tuning the first maxi I ever built, I was taking it for test runs up and down the street, sans helmet and in a t-shirt.

Riding it I noticed the pedals were "catching" everyone once in awhile and just associated it with the old pedal chain that was on the bike still. So, I said forget it.

Finally got the bike tuned where it would pull, get that fucker up to about 40 mph and the freewheel locked up, tossed both my legs from the pedals (which were now rotating locked to the rear wheel). I managed to stay upright for a split second until the left-side crank clacked the ground and sent my ass over the bars.

I got a considerable amount of road rash, managed to only bonk my head slightly, and dickered the bike pretty well. Worse part was I then had to ride it back up the road and my long as driveway with the pedals flailing around like a dervish.

I got one. Ruined the whole bike for me.... I had this Tomos once that I finally saved up enough taco points from treats to get a kit from buying all kinds of puch parts back in the day. Put the kit on and first fire on the brand new kit the cirlclip jumped out and seized it hardddd! I was so pissed.... All my points just wasted.... After that nothing I did to get the piston unstuck would work. It was really jammed in there. I figured I'd just put the stock cylinder back on but it wouldn't budge. Ended up having to beat the kit off and bend the crank before it came out. I completely gave up on that bike after that. Sold it to a friend and he made a ripper out of it. Oh well.

got a pama kit.

'77 lost it in cairo got it 8 months later.

nickasil.

my first kit. hobbit.

decomp pin missing.

i used a paperclip.

started. sucked decomp.

ruined nikasil side.

8 months. 5sec

stright to polini.

casiron. never looked back.. thanks' 77

todd amundson /

Someone brought me an E50 that he couldn’t split for a rebuild. He removed all the case bolts but still stuck.

I smiled and told him he had to remove the kit first.

yo dats me

kevin Smellaflange /

i had guru over to my flat,the famous

George Baker of greenriver honda power sports.

anyhoooo he was helping me with an

adjustment of a rig i had on a center stand, we tapped off an innocent cover & oil started poring

out on to the floor & i had to quick run to the kitchen & grab the dish pan to stuff under the bike i was working on inside the living quarters, my wife gave me the look like '' we will discuss this after George leaves '' we should have a discussion about workin' on bikes & we sleep on the couch after....just sayin'

Kzoo, 2017 got a flat about a mile into the long ride. Changed the tube on the side of the road and blasted back up to the pack 15 miles up. We stopped at a flea market and when I was asked to lead the ride back into town my rear tire was sliding all over the place... another flat! I must have pinched the new tube installing on the side of the road with no levers. Rode on it flat for about 10 miles at 50+ (Thank you Gazelles) and then tragedy... see pic

7D9A38CF-BFA7-41AB-B664-BFD53BC22D77.jpeg
E299DCF1-263F-44EF-AF1C-605D37237E9F.jpeg

There was also the day I blew up my RD 350 due to pre-detonation

9A5BF79E-E796-472B-80A2-B4DEB588973A.jpeg
5CC87BC9-44E6-4723-966E-47C9C454FE73.jpeg

Pea gravel on a turn . I saw it . I guess I just wanted to fall down and get one out of the way . LOL

Felt pretty dumb . I hit the ground , did a half roll and had the bike upright in a second and rode on . Other than the requisite road rash and scratches , no real harm done .

Once wasn't enough. I've done it twice now; the ol'put the piston in backwards. Stock tomos A3 only lost like 5mph and I eventually figured it out.. Sachs 505 ran hot and shitty. I tried everything and ended up selling it only to find out later.

I could maybe participate in a "fail of the month". If you want to increase the scope of failing, I could tell you about my battle with the downstairs toilet (edited)

I never make mistakes. It's actually true, I've never made a mistake. some tires I popped but that's just cuz I wanted more practice swapping em. I've genuinely never made a mistake. it's a blessing really

Josiah Radebaugh /

Awww I love Rd's! Maybe I'll find a tsmr and rd250 one day...

Pushrod Fifty /

Ran out if gas, tore the carb apart and found nothing wrong.

> John Maxson Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Ran out if gas, tore the carb apart and found nothing wrong.

oh man the 'tear half your bike apart trying to find the problem because you run out of gas' is a classic.

Switched the jetting in my carb, but being a poor 16 year old i kept the gas in the float bowl.

After about 250 meters the moped stops, i look down and see a pool of gas. Forgot to put the fuel line on the carb but did open the petcock, there was a trail of fuel going to my home. This happened several times.

> Will S Wrote:

> There was also the day I blew up my RD 350 due to pre-detonation

You're in luck! There's no such thing as "pre-detonation". Go out and ride that RD!

https://tinyurl.com/ybd7sck6

> Bas Autowas Wrote:

> Switched the jetting in my carb, but being a poor 16 year old i kept the

> gas in the float bowl.

>

> After about 250 meters the moped stops, i look down and see a pool of

> gas. Forgot to put the fuel line on the carb but did open the petcock,

> there was a trail of fuel going to my home. This happened several times.

Several times that day?

I used to buy Techno Estoril pipes. I had a baffle fly off at the swoops savannah rally I think back in 2014. Probably because of the crash that happened the night before on the river walk. Fast forward to the KFC seize and desist rally. Mid way through the ride the baffle broke off. I was able to just pull it out the holder and hand it over to Tommy Buzzard. Well as soon as we left that gas station the elbow blew off and about took Kyle from KFC out. The most beautiful thing is it was caught on video.

Rode home from a friend's house super stoned on a pristine magnum I had just finished restoring. Spaced the fuck out on a huge curve in the road and slammed into the curb going 40mph. Flew over the handlebar and bent the fork. Luckily I landed in a patch of grass and not gravel. I walked away from that one with a pretty bruised ego and one hell of a harshed mellow.

I once pored almost a whole quart of oil into a ZA50 because I had the plug out and the oil was going right into the drain pan. Was talkin and not paying attention.

Plus read my Caio thread. Every moped mistake has been on this bike....hand in face emoji.

Oh and I also upjeted a maxi to 160 on a 21 phbg until I realized I needed new seals.

I hit a really big pot hole.

E7126760-0E02-43FE-B451-03293ADD11AD.jpeg

> Brandon Weiss (Detective brandon to you) Wrote:

> I was heading to the local airfield to do some top speed runs/tuning on

> my maxi. There's a long stretch of 40mph road called Flatbush Avenue

> that goes a for a few miles before you get there. I was going along at a

> solid 40 keeping up with traffic, when something suddenly feels VERY

> wrong.....my handling goes to sh!t, my steering is all over the

> place....and then, the rear starts coming out from behind me,

> essentially like i was doing a super long and continuous

> powerslide/drift. What is happening to the truck in this video is

> exactly what was happening to me:

>

>

>

> Anyway, i pull over quickly, and notice that both my axle nuts were

> about to fall off, they had almost completely unthreaded. So, my rear

> wheel was free to move left and right, like rear wheel steering.

> LUCKILY, the maxi swingarm holds the axle captive with the closed end

> that has an opening only underneath for the axle to escape. If it was an

> open ended axle like the new model tomos for example, and my chains were

> loose enough, the rear wheel could have just fallen right off.

>

> There's nothing quite as scary as having your moped go "wet noodle" and

> inexplicably start turning into the car to your left at 40mph.

>

> The worst part was having to call my buddies who were there already to

> come rescue me, somebody thankfully had an adjustable wrench just large

> enough for the axle nuts.

>

> Now, all of my axles get loctite.

That was a great fail story. I'm glad you didn't die that shit could have been crazy bad. I had my moped ride all leaned out like that on a group ride once. I looked down at a stop and could figure out what had happened until I started riding again. I was on my hobbit and my subframe cracked almost all the way in half on the variator side. The only thing holding my subframe together was the belt drive. I road half a mile creeping along with the homies tailing me to keep cars off my ass because I was riding so slow.

> Bas Autowas Wrote:

> Switched the jetting in my carb, but being a poor 16 year old i kept the

> gas in the float bowl.

>

> After about 250 meters the moped stops, i look down and see a pool of

> gas. Forgot to put the fuel line on the carb but did open the petcock,

> there was a trail of fuel going to my home. This happened several times.

I told some moped friends this story at dinner tonight it was a good laugh. Sometimes it's just the dumb stuff with mopeds.

> Will S Wrote:

> Kzoo, 2017 got a flat about a mile into the long ride. Changed the tube

> on the side of the road and blasted back up to the pack 15 miles up. We

> stopped at a flea market and when I was asked to lead the ride back into

> town my rear tire was sliding all over the place... another flat! I

> must have pinched the new tube installing on the side of the road with

> no levers. Rode on it flat for about 10 miles at 50+ (Thank you

> Gazelles) and then tragedy... see pic

yoooooo Will that is fing gnarly! Jesus

> CtpEDsHED . Wrote:

> got a pama kit.

>

> '77 lost it in cairo got it 8 months later.

>

> nickasil.

>

> my first kit. hobbit.

>

> decomp pin missing.

>

> i used a paperclip.

>

> started. sucked decomp.

>

> ruined nikasil side.

>

> 8 months. 5sec

>

> stright to polini.

>

> casiron. never looked back.. thanks' 77

It may be time to start a new moped sub group called heart break club for the times you truly blow it right out the fucking gates. Nigel just fired up his kitted Moby in the old shred shed in RVA and was pumped up and reving it on the stand..... yup that's right boys and girls the ever elusive stand seize!

> Jason Thompson Wrote:

> > CtpEDsHED . Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > got a pama kit.

>

> >

>

> > '77 lost it in cairo got it 8 months later.

>

> >

>

> > nickasil.

>

> >

>

> > my first kit. hobbit.

>

> >

>

> > decomp pin missing.

>

> >

>

> > i used a paperclip.

>

> >

>

> > started. sucked decomp.

>

> >

>

> > ruined nikasil side.

>

> >

>

> > 8 months. 5sec

>

> >

>

> > stright to polini.

>

> >

>

> > casiron. never looked back.. thanks' 77

>

> It may be time to start a new moped sub group called heart break club

> for the times you truly blow it right out the fucking gates. Nigel just

> fired up his kitted Moby in the old shred shed in RVA and was pumped up

> and reving it on the stand..... yup that's right boys and girls the

> ever elusive stand seize!

Oh man like 4 years ago davidde seized a bike revving on the stand. He was promptly made a new kickstand that kept his rear tire on the ground

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account