name that engine...

Christian Roberts /

Picked up a Bat Starflite the other day. Looks like someone did a swap at some point. Not a M48 or M56. Who can tell me what the hell I'm working with? Only ever worked on my e50. Look like a mikuni carb, and I see "Taigene" in a couple places. Wanted a project, hope this was worth it.

IMG_0279.JPG
IMG_0283.JPG

Re: name that engine...

Daelim, kinda rad engine but nothing for aftermarket support. Taiwan made I think, somewhat scootery, tomos/Peugeot style Reed.

Yeah, Graham's on it. They have pretty decent power stock. Hope you get that one going easily. Might be cool to put a little pipe on it and just leave it be. You can easily run a 15/16 Dell'Orto SHA on that intake if you're having trouble finding bits for the stock carb.

Quite a few of those engines that were junked/blown up ended up getting that intake poached. A signature Hell's Satans Puch set-up back in the day was a Polini E50 with the Daelim intake shooting a SHA off to the side (edited)

Jimmy Cincinnati /

Looks like someone did a swap at some point.

Thats OEM, Batavus / Trac used the M48, then M56, and finally the Daelim engine you have. I have a Trac kicking around here at my house with the same engine, its a future project.

It's a daelim DP50 type engine. It's a pretty interesting design, the top end appears to be yamaha based, it has three transfers and could be a ripper with some porting. The clutch is very similar to the tomos design. There are two versions, one is black painted and has daelim cast into the clutch cover. This engine has a shorter yamaha style head. These came on Trac mopeds. Then there is a silver painted version like you have, I'm not sure if it was made by daelim, or if it's the same engine design just produced by another factory. There are NOS versions of the silver engine that pop up from time to time, so wherever they came from, they must have produced a surplus. (edited)

there was a bicycle shop in Greensboro NC that had (probably still has) an NOS daelim engine on a shelf. they sold peugeot back in the day, tomos and maybe trac?

that is interesting, about the batavus thing... i didn't realize those ever came on them. That color scheme showing in the picture is also one i've never seen, must have been late, mid 80's maybe?

i know batavus did use a pretty wide crap shoot of engines, everything from sachs shifters to peugeot, so i'm not surprised but that is definitely the first i've heard of it.

It's hard to see in the photos but the lower motor mounts have been welded in, so it's not a factory job.

my guess would be that the MLM sticker has something to do with it.

Devin used to get real rude on stuff like this back in the days before performance parts were readily available.

did they actually make starflites with daelims?

Christian Roberts /

definitely. that's 1 of 3 mlm stickers on the bike.

vl1......?

Yes, that's exactly what I was going to say. That intake is fucking gold. It's worth more than that engine in my opinion. It's perfect for a treats Reed/polini setup. I like to set up my vm18 to spigot and put it on those intakes on a treats Reed kit, port the ever living fuck out of it (cause fuck it, it's only $125) and fucking blast! Awesome you got a project but I'd take that intake and set it over with your puch pile my friend.

Those motors rip. I exploded a clutch in mine. Takes a batavus m48 piston with a shortened skrt.

rad! I definitely have been wanting to mess with one of these. someday things will align

Christian Roberts /

Thanks for all the info! Read that the dp50 has some weak tranny parts. Seems like that's what's wrong here. Look forward getting in there and (hopefully) getting it running. Here's a fuller pic. Don't think color scheme is factory either. Lower mounts definitely welded on.

IMG_0286.JPG

That thing is sick

Josiah Radebaugh /

Noice!

That is the hottest starflight color I've never seen before

Christian Roberts /

Started the tear down.

1. Oil injection (see intake)?

2. That little threaded post next to the front sproket. Anybody know what it's there for? I have no idea.

3. Another post shooting out behind the clutch. Has a spring lever that engages the driver sproket when pulled, for starting I'm assuming? There wasn't a cable attached or anything. Seems to be slipping when I pull on it and turn the engine over. Guessing there's a problem gear in there.

Continuing the tear down tonight.

IMG_0296.JPG
IMG_0300.JPG
IMG_0298.JPG

Christian Roberts /

Also, anyone happen to know if parts/mounts are the same for dp50 and the dk50 (2-speed, kickstart)? Thanks.

Christian Roberts /

Moving this over to the repair page...

Christian Roberts /

For anyone curious about the mounts...

Thinking about throwing an a35 on here... thoughts?

FCFB3655-DE4A-4005-BE5F-B003D9B18EB4.jpeg
1FCB286C-05B7-4E27-A12A-B69D6F572D91.jpeg
« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account