I want to buy a moped

Hello im looking for a place to buy a moped. I want a new one not a used one. But I'm having trouble finding them I like the newer tomos mopeds but I cant find any in my area. Are there any other comapnies out there? I live in orange county califonia. Seems like mopeds aren't in popular demand nowadays:(

Re: I want to buy a moped

Tomos is tits up, sounds like. About your only option is old school. Better that way, I suppose. The last available new Tomos in the USA, has already been sold.

https://www.mopedarmy.com/forums/read.php?1,4250971 (edited)

Ok thank you for the info I was only able to find 1 seller out in LA. There are also some dealers in san Francisco but I dont want to drive that far. I might check the place out in LA at some point but they said they where out of stock at the moment. Will probably get a ebike I guess.

Ľ̷̝̽͒i̶̛̼͑͠ȁ̸̧̛̽m̵̻̟̯̀̅ ̷͎̙̽̊F̶̲̺͑̓ F /

I would recommend just buying an old one that’s been restored/refurbished. Being new doesn’t save you from any of the problems of a regular 2 stroke moped

Well...a SSR Lazer 5 is something you can buy new. It’s a 4-stroke instead of 2 stroke. It’s chinese and most people here have the opinion that they are complete garbage. But..it meets California’s standards of a moped and emission laws plus it has pedals lol. So it at least gets you “new” and gets you in the moped game. I haven’t personally had any problems with mine.....but I’m told I’m just lucky.

Sounds like you'd be settling for an e-bike and not the style or route you really want. New Tomos is hit or miss if you read some of the recent threads or know people with them. Besides reliability what do you want or expect with something new, casual fun or commuting? Something upgradeable or not?

Who did you check with? Not sure what's in your area of LA but check with Myrons Mopeds for options or possibly Tomahawk Mopeds. You could find something fairly new or barely used. You could check around for small displacement motos too before settling for one of those e-bikes. Don't equate new with reliable and make sure what you buy is fixable and that either you can fix it or you have a shop or person who can because whatever you do choose may inevitably have problems. A lil maintence, know how or a good shop will keep you on the road with whatever you buy.

Which e-bikes have you looked at? They seem very underwhelming at the moment with the current tech, going 20mph average for 3 hours on the charge. I'm sure the initial torque is cool tho and that first run of electric Onyx "Mopeds" sold out so there's that. If you can afford 3k+ you could put a deposit down on the next run Onyx is doing in May

You're close to Tomahawk.

Go buy one from him or have him build you one.

If you want something new because you're hoping not to tinker, good luck.

Better off getting an electric moped/scooter and call it a day.

Get a running Vespa

Actually thinking of getting the onyx rcr! It looks sick and has good speed! And no paying for gas. Although im kinda hesitant as there aren't any full reviews out yet.

Get the Onyx!

Do you have one?

Check their instagram for comments and perhaps their FB page Dane. I'm assuming no feedback found yet is a good thing since generally people are quick to complain rather than take the time for good reviews elsewhere

Good idea haven't seen anything bad yet! All positive stuff!

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account