Tomos rear wheel spin/slowdown issue

Simon Belmont /

Hi, I have Tomos and rear wheel, when I spin it by hand, it spins freely half of the way, then it starts to drag (slow down) then it spins freely again, I was wondering what could be causing this?

Would it help to replace the internal 6201 wheel bearings?

Re: Tomos rear wheel spin/slowdown issue

Brandon Weiss (Detective brandon to you) /

A few possibilities: Wheel bearings could be worn, brake drum could be out of round causing pads to drag intermittently if they are adjusted too tight, or the sprockets could be out of round....if the sprockets aren't round, and if the rear isnt mounted dead center on the hub, it will cause the chain to tighten and loosen as it rotates.

Take off the drive chain to eliminate it as a variable and spin the wheel, see if it continues.

im guessing wheel/tire balance plus gravity, tape on some lead weights.

Simon Belmont /

Thank you Brandon!

I'll try that out.

I go through this a lot. This always helps. Loosen both axle nuts. next apply the brake lever and hold it tight. I use tape around the lever and hand grip. Then tighten the two axle nuts as you normally would. Release the brake lever and check the spin of the wheel.

Simon Belmont /

Interesting idea Cheetah, thanks!

Will have to try that.

Interesting

Dirty30 Dillon /

It sounds like your chain is crispy. You ride in the winter alot, and all that road salt pretty much kills a chain in a season.

Especially seeing as most mopeds aren't running O- or X-ring chains.

> Dirty30 Dillon Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> It sounds like your chain is crispy. You ride in the winter alot, and

> all that road salt pretty much kills a chain in a season.

>

> Especially seeing as most mopeds aren't running O- or X-ring chains.

Not to mention that maybe the op doesn't lube the chain as often as they should .

An all too often 'offense' .

Overpriced Parts /

> Dirty30 Dillon Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> It sounds like your chain is crispy. You ride in the winter alot, and

> all that road salt pretty much kills a chain in a season.

>

> Especially seeing as most mopeds aren't running O- or X-ring chains.

That’s ^ A good investment, I got a 415 racing o-ring chain on closeout for 75$. I had that chain for years, it outlasted several chains, I put it on many bikes cutting it down a few times, I sold the bike it was on because it was too short to keep,

I’d say if you can get a good o-ring/racing chain for around 100$ go for it

You sure the axle isn't bent?

Simon Belmont /

Okay, I've replaced both bearings inside the wheel but they weren't the issue, I narrowed it down to brakes, when detaching the brake cable, the wheel spins fine, but as soon as brake cable is added and adjusted to proper tension, that's when the wheel does this (spins fine half-way then drags a bit then spins fine again) so I'm guessing the internal hub is probably out of round.

Why? It just sounds out of adjustment. Loosen the adjuster until it doesn't grab..

One shoe can hit first sometimes. I've never really worried ablot it.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account