??? Tomos help

Will the lights function when turning the engine over on a Tomos if the stator/generating coil is broken?? I ask because I have no spark on this bike and have gone through everything else. Originally I had no lights as well as no spark but after some tinkering I found a plug that wasn't attached fully. I was told by some that if there was no spark that it was probably the CDI, but then others were saying it was the stator and flywheel as well!!...but I have lights!! Kind of new to Tomos/mopeds...but that didn't sound right to me, so I figured I'd see what you guys had to say. I mean can the lights work (when rolling the engine over) if the stator/fly is bad/dirty somehow??!!?!?! Anyway it's a 2010 Sprint any and all help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks everybody!!

Re: ??? Tomos help

spark and lights are wholly separate on tomos. some bikes theres weird minor overlaps, but not tomos. lights functioning has zero bearing on the spark.

it could still be the start, it'd just be the stator ignition coil, not the lights coil - again totally separate.

check if theres power on the ignition (black) wire outta the motor. if so your stator bits are probly fine. Then check wiring - disconnect all the kill switch etc, just black dir4ectly from engine to CDI to bypass any switches or possible electrical faults. check that the ground is grounded. still nada, check your plug wire, boot, plug etc (sounds like you've at least gone partway down that path) then the only thing left is the CDI itself. but my 1st guess is it's something simple. wiring or missed connections

Checked the wires made sure everything was hooked up still no spark. So I disconnected everything, leaving just black to black as suggested, and still no spark...So I pulled the plug boot off and exposed some wire still no park (thinking it may have been the boot being corroded or the plug being bad). So probably the CDI or the Stator then ehh?? I don't have a multi-meter atm (broke a while ago, haven't gotten a new one) to test the stator though. But if I get another one what should it be reading if it's working properly? Or am I being dumb and just not reading you right lol. Being that I have now learned that it the coils operates lights with one part and ignition with the other. Thanks again for the help!

So most common no sparkie state of a Sprint is a defective hall sensor. Find the wiring diagram and identify the two wires of the hall sensor( it's the timer for the cdi and is energized with each rotation of the flywheel. ) You will find if both leads are hooked to a multimeter whether or not a ac current is generated. That's where I would start. There have been numerous posts on this if you do a search.

And if there isn't then I'll need a new stator?? Do you need a puller to remove the flywheel? (edited)

No the hall sensor is mounted off the stator. Do a bit of research and you should find out location etc. The stator is usually ok.

Screenshot_20190116-140443.png

This !!

soneones mentioned how u can test cdi w a 9v battery.

How would one even do that using a battery? What wires would you be attaching it to...I see there's a red, white, black and obviously the brown is ground. Feel like I'm probably just going to end up getting a new coil and cdi though.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account