What is...

Alexandro Ramirez-Nagy /

The best moped. Within this page I hope for a non-aggressive argument in which loyal moped riders argue for their brand/model of choice. I am fully aware that civility is too much to ask from this kind of post but, I tried. Now have at it, what moped is the best?

Re: What is...

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

Your question is completely subjective.

Josiah Radebaugh /

Obviously Motobecane. They coppied everyone else to remind you of home. ;)

Alexandro Ramirez-Nagy /

In response to "Your question is subjective",

I am totally aware of that, That's why it is an argument, If it was objective anyone could argue for any model or moped, which is still true, but in this argument many people will have many different ideas and arguments. I think it will be very interesting to see what people like about their bikes that they love. Also, because the way I posed my question is subjective, there is very little chance that the debate will come to a definite end or conclusion. (edited)

Puch for reliability, parts availability and simplicity.

Derbi variant for sheer awesomeness.

Eric Carpenter /

I like The honda metropolitan Moped...ha

Dirty30 Dillon /

If you were really interested in getting opinions, you could search "best moped" and probably turn up the 5 times a year this is asked.

That said, the Derbi Flatreed is objectively the best stock moped/motor.

Subjectively, I am more interested in Vespa stuff. Very few platforms have more options in build/tune than vespa.

Overpriced Parts /

> Bas Autowas Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Puch for reliability, parts availability and simplicity.

>

> Derbi variant for sheer awesomeness.

I like all mopeds but I’m kinda a wide 200 pound person who rides under all conditions and weather so I don’t like any small weak frail bike, bikes that can’t be upgraded for a more pep, bikes with exposed pulleys and belts that damage my pants and leg or rare museum pieces that are only good to look at/too afraid to ride for fear of damage so my list is as follows:

Best 1-2 speed auto trans moped is a puch Magnum (any model but mkll has best suspension) for with a little engine tuning they’re basically a small motorcycle.

Puch frame bikes like puch cobra, pinto, free spirit and Murray/type b are good platforms with removable tanks, and Maxis are ok too but made for lighter riders (cobras have light weight maxi suspension too) stock wise so suspension upgrade and crossbar may be needed.

Best variated trans auto moped is any Derbi bike is good and can take it but tuning and or upgrades to variator and engine needed to use the full potential,

Vespa grande are a ok heavy duty variated bike too.

Italian engine 1 and two speed powered bikes like five star general and Sebring are Strong bikes too.

Tomos tube frame bikes like revival and streetmate are heavy duty but some Engines have clutch, clutch bell, gears and seal weaknesses that may need to be addressed

> Ken Roff Wrote:

> > Bas Autowas Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > Puch for reliability, parts availability and simplicity.

>

> >

>

> > Derbi variant for sheer awesomeness.

>

> I like all mopeds but I’m kinda a wide 200 pound person who rides under

> r all conditions and weather so I don’t like any small weak frail bike,

> bikes that can’t be upgraded for a more pep, bikes with exposed pulleys

> and belts that damage my pants and leg or rare museum pieces that are

> only good to look at/too afraid to ride for fear of damage so my list is

> as follows:

>

> Best 1-2 speed auto trans moped is a puch Magnum (any model but mkll has

> best suspension) for with a little engine tuning they’re basically a

> small motorcycle.

>

> Puch frame bikes like puch cobra, pinto, free spirit and Murray/type b

> are good platforms with removable tanks, and Maxis are ok too but made

> for lighter riders (cobras have light weight maxi suspension too) stock

> wise so suspension upgrade and crossbar may be needed.

>

> Best variated trans auto moped is any Derbi bike is good and can take it

> but tuning and or upgrades to variator and engine needed to use the full

> potential,

>

> Vespa grande are a ok heavy duty variated bike too.

>

> Italian engine 1 and two speed powered bikes like five star general and

> d Sebring are Strong bikes too.

>

> Tomos tube frame bikes like revival and streetmate are heavy duty but

> some Engines have clutch, clutch bell, gears and seal weaknesses that

> may need to be addressed

The best moped doesn't have to take overweight people in account. Best toptank moped is the Kreidler rmc-s but i didn't include it because it's too expensive and not available in America.

Best moped is like saying what is the best ice cream. Everyone thinks different ones are the best. You got to research what will meet your needs.

punkrock randy /

Myped of course!!!!

Overpriced Parts /

> Bas Autowas Wrote:

> > Ken Roff Wrote:

>

> > > Bas Autowas Wrote:

> > > Puch for reliability, parts availability and simplicity.

>

> > > Derbi variant for sheer awesomeness.

>

> > I like all mopeds but I’m kinda a wide 200 pound person (only 20-25 lb overweight for my size) who rides under all conditions and weather so I don’t like any small weak frail bike or rare museum pieces that are only good to look at/too afraid to ride for fear of damage

> The best moped doesn't have to take overweight people in account. Best

> toptank moped is the Kreidler rmc-s but i didn't include it because it's

> too expensive and not available in America.

I said ^ don’t count rare museum pieces,

I’m actually 195 lbs on my medium/large 5’ 10’ frame so 20 lb is not that much overweight and were are not talking about rare expensive museum pieces that can’t be gotten over here in the states so a kredler rmc-s is not a best moped it’s a imaginary moped over here in USA

The op is talking about real obtainable mopeds in the USA so he can pick out a reliable bike to make his own not a pipe dream

Did you have trouble reading this sentence : "but i didn't include it because it's too expensive and not available in America"?

Chöschi21 C.K. /

For a daily driver around where i live it would probably be a Pony GTX 503, they are good at hills, top out between 18 and 23mph stock and climb 22% hills at 12-16mph. The 2 speed engines run very well and can be modified to accept the Sachs 50s cylinders, the stock cylinders can be tuned quite well, they have a lot of material. The frame, or rather the rear swingarm, can accept 2 speed manual Sachs 503 engines without modification, those have giant cluches and have great aftermarket support for cluches and cranks, you can modify them to fit a 3 speed transmission and a couple of people put 80+cc cylinders on them, also, there are a couple of front forks for them.

Best moped? Any Sebring with the M1 or V1 engines are VERY dependable.

Paul Boyer (OFMC) /

Puch Maxi!!!

Chöschi21 C.K. /

the Maxi realy is not the best...

If it is your first bike, the best moped is the moped you have.

Usually your first one is the first moped you find. That's my experience anyway. Even if you move on from it, that first one is what starts you and teaches you what you want in a moped. My first moped I got as an adult was a Vespa Bravo. Love it. But it got me learning things and I decided I wanted a Grande. Got one, and it is my favorite bike ever.

It's not like everyone gets the same things out of mopeds. I tend to tinker more, my brother takes more pictures.

The best moped is the one you have.

A puch maxi or tomos would be the best moped, if one judged by sales and production numbers.

But at the end of the day, the best moped is the one you own.

Dirty30 Dillon /

> Avery M. Wrote:

> A puch maxi or tomos would be the best moped, if one judged by sales and

> production numbers.

>

> But at the end of the day, the best moped is the one you own.

Motobecane Mobylette had the highest sales.numbers in U.S. during the "vintage" period.

Vespa. Most parts available, least parts that go wrong.

best returns...biggest profit is the best moped....

Best looking/riding, Motobecane, most reliable/versatile, Honda Hobbit. Really a subjective question though, everyone will answer from their own experience.

Pushrod Fifty /

Best ones are ones that sat in a garage for 30 years, rust free, with 500 miles on them, the first owner brought and used for a season and then just forgot about it, you get it unmolested for cheap and go through it changing tires and condenser and its nice and tight sweet and mint until the next guy (or you) chops it up.

Jack Rutherford /

Click bait?

I would suggest it's Simson or Simson Schwalbe.

There is plenty of them here in North Germany used as everyday transport.

I did some research, and it turns out it is motobecane.

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

> - rwc - Wrote:

> I did some research, and it turns out it is motobecane.

I did even more research and it is definitely NOT Motobecane.

Jawa x30

kevin Smellaflange /

i don't know what the rider needs...i have 2 1980 moby 50v...

4 spare motors....

watched DFHS on you tuber...

learned from his mistakes...

try to find a guru...

use great tools...

and a spare bike....fin

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account