Intalling an offset Intake Manifold for tomos A5

Charles Fowler /

Good morning, and just joined. I have a 1994 Tomos Sprint, bought at a yard sale and have been fixing it up. Just put on an offset intake manifold to move the carb out for easier access. With an air filter, it will hit the motor cover mounting bracket. Looking for thoughts about how to deal with this situation? Much appreciated

Re: Intalling an offset Intake Manifold for tomos A5

What kind of filter are you trying to use?

You can probably use the rubber boot from a stock A35 side airbox, and a bit of pipe, which will space the filter out about two inches so it'll miss that bracket.

Charles Fowler /

I had bought one of these thinking it would be small enough to work, even with the original carb location, but too big. I'm not stuck on using this at all. Sounds like your point is to reduce to filter to get it to fit. I'll experiment.

air filter.jpg

Charles Fowler /

Would you be able to give me a bit more description of how this works? Your idea for the rubber boot and pipe, that is. Really appreciate the response, too. (edited)

Nice !

Something like this.

Yes super annoying, I ran into the same problem on my sprint. I ended up swapping out my leaky old 14.12 for a 15.15 with the new MLM intake which kicks the carb out in a position where you can put any air filter you want.

Brandon Weiss (Detective brandon to you) /

Or just run a black cap filter cover with 1 screen

Mike Fitzgerald /

www.treatland.tv/original-tomos-A35-12mm-intake-no-oil-injection-p/tomos-a35-stock-intake-no-oil.htm

This is what you need, will save a lot of trouble dropping the engine every time you change a jet, as well as allows you to run any filter you want

Charles Fowler /

Still an amateur and I don't know what moving to a 15.15 carb means yet for my moped. But, I appreciate all the responses and I want to load some pics to show what I'm working with, regarding the cover bracket. You can see how close it is, and I have installed the off-set intake manifold.

IMG_8462.JPG
IMG_8459.JPG
IMG_8458.JPG

Charles Fowler /

Damn, they might have posted turned sideways..., but hope you can deal with it and see the pics. Didn't realize it would do that, but now know

just get a black cap filter w metal screen. believe thats whata stock. n u can mess w the screens to adjust air flow.

You have a Dellorto SHA carb, size 14.12 (mm) which should be notated on the side. When he said 15.15 he means the size. He upgraded to a Dellorto SHA 15.15 along with the aftermarket MLM brand intake to match the carbs 15mm size.

When you bought this did the carb have the stock round metal screen filter that fits into the carb, with a separate small plastic dome cover? That's what those 2 people are suggesting would fit in this scenario but I'm assuming yours was bare when bought or you would have tried it. The metal mesh stock filter has several layers that you can pry out one by one for more air flow.

You can also thug it out for more air flow and use a ziptie and pantyhose to cover the carb as a "filter". Although with all that air coming in you would need to rejet the carb to a bigger jet to match your air/fuel mix so you don't run lean.

The majority of people find all the parts they need using https://www.treatland.tv and https://www.doscycles.com

Charles Fowler /

Yes, I do have the insert filter/screen and it connected with a black boot that then connected to a bullet-style air box. Well, all the parts were in a box but using diagrams from the internet I was able to figure how it went back together. Again, having to drop the motor. I have seen the black cap covers and will pursue. Again, appreciate the responses. I also learned there are several screens inside that can be removed. Did not know that.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account