My Terrible 2018 Tomos Experiance

Hey everyone, I just wanted to share my terrible experience with my 2018 Tomos Moped I bought on December 6, 2018. I live in Toledo, Ohio and heard good things about the new Tomos Mopeds so I contacted Detroit Moped Works to buy one. Unfortunately DMW was out of stock but they directed me to Second Stroke Mopeds in New York. Called them about it "Oh yeah these bikes are awesome! We can have one shipped to you!" so I ordered one from them for $2,100. A week later it was delivered to my door. This is when the problems started.

I filled the bike with fuel and went for a little test drive. 1 block later BEERRRRRRRT and dead. I pull the spark plug and... no spark. I worked with Toledo Riot (Andy) of the Toledo Zeros and we diagnosed that the issue was that the coil burnt out due to bad grounds, they have one ground point for like 6 ground wires, which while not ideal isn’t necessarily the problem, however the real issue is that the ground had no paint removed, the threads were even painted.

We contacted Tomos America who sent a replacement CDI Box and a new Rectifier. When these parts arrived, Andy installed the parts and the spark came back. The moped ran great for two days. I rode the moped to Home Depot today and it got there fine and I started home and BEERRRRRRRT and DEAD AGAIN!!!

I pedaled the two miles home and checked for spark. Its got nice fat strong spark and the plug is slightly wet with gas. I tried using a bit of starting fluid and that isn't working ether. Not sure whats wrong with it now and honestly I don't really care. I'd like my money back at this point, and I don't think that's unreasonable.

This is a NEW bike. I know mopeds are not the most reliable things in the world but if I wanted a a projected bike, I would have bought a Motobrokane! This is the second time in less than 20 miles this thing has broken.

Re: My Terrible 2018 Tomos Experiance

This a very good story! I’m laughing inside and it kinda hurts.

Dirty Dillion riding bitch on my tomos (edited)

Welcome to mopeds.

They force you to learn about how they work. That's what they exist for. So you're learning. That's good.

Its not my first moped dude. But my point is that its brand new. If I wanted a bike that was going to be a project right off the bat, I'd have bought a $200 cragslist bike

Damn dude that sucks. You should have copped a project bike and made it your own

> Ken Durham Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Its not my first moped dude. But my point is that its brand new. If I

> wanted a bike that was going to be a project right off the bat, I'd have

> bought a $200 cragslist bike

Yeah,you should get your money back. You ARE under warranty so maybe they'll do the right thing and at least repair it under warranty.

Cragslist might have been the better choice. I wanna say I feel your pain but I love fixing mopeds so I can't feel your pain.

To moped is to suffer.

Kimberly Anne From The Internet /

I mean, $600 could have for sure gotten you a nice, rally ready, daily runner, kitted Tomos.

It definitely sucks a 2k brand new moped doesn't run right of the bat, however Second Stroke are solid peeps and really in no way are at fault considering you are the first person to ride it. I'd try resolving the issue with them FIRST before dumping a turd in the community pool. Pretty sure they'd help you. Hope it all works out. On a second note, I'd take the time to try and figure out what's wrong. It would be pretty rad to have one of the last made tomos before the company possibly (I hope not) takes a shit. Tomos4L ❤️

received_752276995158235.jpeg

> Kimberly Anne From The Internet Wrote:

Second Stroke are solid peeps and really in no way are at fault considering you are the first person to ride it

Never heard of testing a product BEFORE shipping it halfway across the country to someone then, I take it? And I am only shitting on them because um... 3 dead parts in 1 month/20 miles? Like give me a break

Kimberly Anne From The Internet /

Not saying it doesn't suck and isn't right. It deff is a super frustrating situation. I know lots of people riding new tomos that haven't had any issues. Seems like you got a jinx of the bunch. Hope some luck comes your way or it's just some minor wrenching to get ya going.

sounds like an electrical issue as you have a spark (I was going to say cdi box), check the earths again and especially wiring around the cutout switch any cable joins plugs ect, all it needs is one wire out of its plug or not fully home, make sure fuel is getting through to the cylinder.

yeah I’m sure Pete will refund you 100%

It has nice, fat, strong blue spark. I also did the thumb over the plug hole compression test which it passed. The Spark plug is slightly damp with gas so it has fuel (and stunk up the living room lol). Put it all together and... wait why isn't it running?

I may have been slightly emotional and angry when I posted this from having to pedal two miles home lol. Didn't post this to bash anyone or shit on Tomos America. I am just sharing my experience with a very stubborn tomos lol. Second Stroke/Tomos American and DMW have both been helpful so far. I am just very VERY frustrated as I appear to have gotten stuck with the lemon of the batch.

no groms no blasters /

you didn't add oil

I definitely did. 50:1 amsoil

That sucks, it does make one wonder if they are test run at the factory at all? I'm sure the dealer will work with you, I can see them not test running it before shipping as then you would have to drain the fuel etc, but maybe they do? IDK. I'm sure it is just a fluke, something loose etc, I hope this gets resolved favorably.

You spent 2k and just wanna ride you can be mad and don't need to explain yourself, I'd Rambo mf'ers over it but I'm gh3tto. 1zt bluud..

In the end we all know this doesn't reflect Second Stroke it's a testament to why Tomos are lame :b

Likely due to their QC which can be ironed out and once sorted you'll have the solid daily runner you paid for. Prob falls under the dealer buy back or lemon laws like a moto or car if you are insistent on a refund, I'm sure they'd do it like Lou said but come on it's mopeds.. ya'll can work it out

I kinda want a partial refund for all the hassle if I am honest with myself. The bike is great... for the 20 miles its actually run lol

That's normal for most East bloc vehicles.

First days you're kind of fixing some small factory bugs and then it's running great.

Tomos dealer in Versailes Oh. and Chicago. East coast??? In any case sorry to hear about your lemon.....Im still considering buying one...

its not unusual for a new vehicle from the factory to have some bugs that need ironed out, thats why they have dealerships and don't just drop ship them to your door.

even the highest quality cars and motorcycles go through a dealership 'pre delivery inspection' where they put some miles on the thing, make sure all the fluids are topped off and not leaking, check function of all the safety things.

if you're buying a bike in a box, you're taking on that responsiblity, usually you are also paying less than a dealer because you're not paying for their cut (20-40%), it sucks nobody botherd to explain that to you, but thats how it goes. if you paid 2nd stroke full msrp, maybe ask them for a kickback equal to the difference between wholesale cost and what you paid, you can take andy out for a nice steak dinner.

You are not alone, there should be a support group for the newer Tomos. Your story is almost identical to mine but on a smaller level from what I have experienced with the TT. I'm about 50 miles into mine as well.

apparently at $2100 I paid MORE than MRSP

Dirty30 Dillon /

Their is no lemon law for mopeds. I am sure Tomos America will support you in whatever means they are able to with parts and labor, but you don't get any sizable refund and to keep the bike.

TT or Sprint? I have both, the Sprint is awesome, no issues.

sprint in Ivory

> Dirty30 Dillon Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Their is no lemon law for mopeds. I am sure Tomos America will support

> you in whatever means they are able to with parts and labor, but you

> don't get any sizable refund and to keep the bike.

I don't want sizable. I want a little something to make me feel better about the fact that my new moped I bought has spent the better part of a month mothballed being repaired instead of me getting to enjoy it.

Jonathan Feldman /

Man I've heard both swings of the brand new Tomos story. Like 50% of people are like " holy shit this thing is a tank and I love it " and the other 50% it's like a complete nightmare.

If I were you I'd probably take a solid couple day breather and get my mind right. Afterward I'd do a couple phone calls and get the gang over to do a group brainstorm / wrench night. I think they're actually built very well but as stated... not everything is perfect from the get go.

I work with rental cars and it's amazing how many warranties / recalls exist with brand new cars. Like shit will have less than 10k on it and there will be factory recalls literally involving something as small as securing a connection that's prone to coming loose.

Don't lose Faith! Ya got this dawg!!

I also have a 2018 Sprint & I Feel Your Pain.

1 of the Issues was Some Of Them we're putting out too much power & blowing out other electronic components.

2 Some Of The Stators were Good New But Burn Out USUALLY Between 400&500 Miles.

Mine came with 4 miles on it Before I test drove it. Hard To Believe they wouldn't have checked it out better.

All I can say is Just think about the Thousands of Miles You'll Be Able To Put On Her Soon.

I Definitely Feel Your Pain -- I Have A Magnum & a Pacer Super Sport I coulda put on the road Much Cheaper !

But what you have is a 2018 Tomos -- You can always strip her down & put the parts on just about anything & have a Bad Ass Custom Ped.

Not To Mention If They Actually Stop Makin Tomos Mopeds -- You'll Have 1 Of The Last Ones They Sold/Imported.

I know it's Tough -- I almost Lit The Bitch On FIRE (I Had A 4 Hour Push Home)

Hang Tough (edited)

FB_IMG_1531470984944.jpg

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account