What was Tomos best year in terms of producing the fastest most quality mopeds?

I was wondering your guys opinions on the best year for tomos mopeds? In terms of speed, durability etc. Currently, I’m working on upgrading a 1999 targa lx. (edited)

Re: What was Tomos best year in terms of producing the fastest most quality mopeds?

The A35 was the best imho mid to late 1990s

Re: What was Tomos best year in terms of producing the fastest most quality mopeds?

Jimmy Cincinnati /

The A35 was the best imho mid to late 1990s

Thats about right.

I would say the fastest tomos you will get from the factory would be a mid 90's Tomos Sprint. Maybe the later year A3 engines producing 2hp & dellorto sha would be the fastest.

If you were just wanting the best tomos going i would suggest a Streetmate (any year).

Jimmy Cincinnati /

Actually take a mid 90's sprint and throw a 2hp A3 exhaust on and you will have a stock ripper.

93-99 non oil injected a35 all great. From 2001 on the overall quality started going down hill.

1960s - 1970s. Colibris and all that stuff.

Not forgetting Nortons made by Tomos :-)

Jimmy Cincinnati /

From 2001 on the overall quality started going down hill.

How so? They balanced the middle gear cluster in the tranny, added hydro forks (both disk and non-disk), and started building the tubular framed streetmates / revivals / & arrows.

Honestly, tomos seems to always fix one problem while creating another. The A3 engines had awesome clutch sets but had issues with gear clusters cracking. The A35 fixed the gear issues but changed the clutches to that garbage cork design. The A55 fixed some gear issues while ignoring the clutch issues and ridding the full circle crankshaft.

The best combo of Tomos you could build engine wise would be to take the A3 clutch shoes, use A55 gear clusters, and drop them into mid 90's A35 cases w/ the A35 crankshaft... or attleast that would be my preference. Most bang for buck would be A3 clutches, A55 top end + cases + gear sets, & A35 crankshaft.

Brandon Weiss (Detective brandon to you) /

I have to disagree with the A55 transmission parts being higher quality, it seems to me they were made of softer metal, especially the center gear cluster.

I had a 95 and a 96 that were probably my best although I do like the a55s too. theyre all mopeds. the differences are pretty minimal. reline the clutches, simple 70 kit, cheap pipe. blast all day and don't overthink it

Ive been all the way through almost every year of tomos, the best are the late a3/early a35 with the iskra points until the 2000ish a35s. They cut more and more corners until they switch to having them made in India

Jimmy Cincinnati /

the best are the late a3/early a35 with the iskra points until the 2000ish a35s.

If you keep the points clean they are reliable for sure, but i had great luck out of 90's CDI A35 engines. Most reliable tomos i ever owned was a $100 Red TTLX that i had thrown a 70cc airsal kit, tecno hunter pipe, high flow filter, and 28T rear sprocket. I rode that all over Cincinnati and it never let me down. It ran until i traded it (with cash) for a Derbi GPR50RR.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account