access to my drum brakes in rear hub?

thad wingfield /

I can not find any tutorial or information on how to open up my rear hub on my

04 tomos lx to inspect and change drum brakes. I'm sure I can figure it out but I like to be sure when doing something for the first time so I don't damage any parts in doing so. If anyone has any info or a ink to a tutorial on how to open up hub to change brakes. I would gratefully appreciate the help.

rear hub.jpg

Re: access to my drum brakes in rear hub?

interesting, hmmm, two 17's, lefty loosy. or 17 deep socket w impact, lefty loosy. wear leather gloves when taking off spring loaded shoes, helps the ouch factor

thad wingfield /

I've already removed the rear wheel with 2 17mm wrenches. Not sure how to open up hub. No bolts to looses? I may have to turn the brake leaver on hub a certain way for it to release but not sure.

ur killing me, take that nut off in the middle and slide the backing plate off. the pads are attached to the backing plate. post more picts.

Dirty30 Dillon /

I'm guessing your pads have grooved the wheel and are locking it to the rim now that the cable isn't holding the pads from touching. slightly squeeze the cable arm and see if it moves and can be wiggled off.

thad wingfield /

I can spin the top piece but it's a rough. I can't get the top hub to remove. So Normally it should lift off with no resistance? Here is another pic.

Screenshot_2019-01-08-16-08-23.jpg

Brandon Weiss (Detective brandon to you) /

Try lightly tapping the axle out, that may make it easier to wiggle around. And yes, normally it would just come right off with no resistance.

yeah dude pulls right off, and as stated before compress the brake lever a little bit and pull straight off......

thad wingfield /

The axle slide rite out with no problem. Will try compress brake. Thank you for the help. I'm surprised that there are no videos on YouTube or the Web at all showing the hub being took apart that I could find. Thanks again.

Can't wait to see pics of what's inside

Dirty30 Dillon /

There are no videos because it would be like a tutorial on how to take off your socks

Brandon Weiss (Detective brandon to you) /

Dillon Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> There are no videos because it would be like a tutorial on how to take

> off your socks

> Dirty30

thad wingfield /

In general the first time doing something, a person needs to be shown even if a simple task. Not to mention they're also videos on very simple things like changing tranny fluid putting a spark plug in Etc. I have broken parts and done more damage taking things apart that I did not know how to at first. Trying to avoid any of that. Thank you for those that helped I did get it apart and it was a broken spring causing my issue of Tire locking up. Thanks again for all the help.

20190108_164006.jpg
20190108_164422.jpg

Mopeds are so insanely simple to work on and the best attitude is to just tear into parts and see what happens. I knew nothing about mopeds when i was 15 and now through trial and error i can do most work with my eyes closed.

There were no tutorials online back then but a service manual (which i bet there is for your tomos) and just doing it will get you a long way.

If you need 4 more topics to replace the springs in your brake, mopeds might not be for you. (edited)

I'd just like to state for the record that I totally called what the problem was in his other thread :)

for future reference, when it goes back on, that slot in backing plate slides into a pin on the swing arm.

thad wingfield /

thanks again everyone

> thad wingfield Wrote:

> In general the first time doing something, a person needs to be shown

> even if a simple task.

That must replace any sort of imagination one might have .

> Mike Boyd Wrote:

> I'd just like to state for the record that I totally called what the

> problem was in his other thread :)

Yup you did.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account