Plug chop help

I have a Yamaha QT50. I had been using the same spark plug for a while and it was looking too dark. I started using a Uni pod filter over a mesh filter and also added Boyesen power reeds which are supposed to make it run rich at WOT. I'm trying to get the jetting perfect before adding a kit. So I performed a plug chop. White base, like the plug was never used. Up jetted 10 sizes. I got it warmed up to almost 300*, stuck the new plug in and rode about 3 miles, then killed it going up a hill at WOT, installed the old plug, and rode home. Still completely white. Am I doing something wrong? With the biggest jet, it is sluggish and four strokes, but still no ring. I suspect that the plug is too hot. Can this cause the ring to not appear? Forgot to mention that I've got an SHA carb and a Tecno Bullet pipe for a Tomos A35 on it.

Re: Plug chop help

Even if you get the jetting perfect you're still going to have to rejet once you add a kit. Stock bikes and kitted bikes run different jetting.

Well of course, but I want to know where to start. If my jetting is messed up now, I will be completely guessing when I add the kit.

Are you cutting the plug with a hack saw...or...grinder so you can completely uncover the electrode to see the top.....

plug chop.jpg

PLUG...CHOP-CHOP-CHOP or just plain CUT....

Yes, I'm using a Dremel cutting wheel.

I guess my real question is: What conditions other than lean would prevent the formation of the ring?

How much oil does it inject per gallon? Rich on oil makes lean mixture.

I'm pre mixing 40:1.

Used a colder plug and got a much better result. Seems the hot plug was the main problem.

Once you read and understand this article, "all of your wildest dreams will come true."

http://www.strappe.com/plugs.html

> Den 23 Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Once you read and understand this article, "all of your wildest dreams

> will come true."

>

> http://www.strappe.com/plugs.html

>

" it's a terrifically effective trick when you get it right."

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account