Rear wheel on my Tomos LX will sometims sticks or get stuck. PLZ HELP

thad wingfield /

my rear wheel will sometimes get stuck going in the forward motion. when this happens it will go in the backwards motion just fine but not forward? this happens while motor is running or turned off. After pushing it forward it will sometimes release and drive fine for a while and then the problem repeats? I'm new to the moped world and bought a 2004 Tomos lx for my son and this problem just started a couple days ago. Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Re: Rear wheel on my Tomos LX will sometims sticks or get stuck. PLZ HELP

Why the double post ?

thad wingfield /

I'm new to MOPED ARMY and the moped world (newbie). I was not sure how active the site is and did not know which would be noticed first. Will delete from general discussion. Did you have any info that could help me? I'm hoping it's not a hard fix? I'm a quick learner and have some experience in wrenching just not a lot on small motors. I'm very glad I found this site. Very helpful info. Thank you

Ľ̷̝̽͒i̶̛̼͑͠ȁ̸̧̛̽m̵̻̟̯̀̅ ̷͎̙̽̊F̶̲̺͑̓ F /

Check the chain and if it’s jamming

Charles Cole (OFMC) /

Brake adjustment too tight, or something inside the drum getting caught. Chain should have about 10mm of slack. Maybe a good time for a brake cleaning, inspection.

Ľ̷̝̽͒i̶̛̼͑͠ȁ̸̧̛̽m̵̻̟̯̀̅ ̷͎̙̽̊F̶̲̺͑̓ F /

It sounds like the chain is coming off the rear sprocket and then when you push it forward it’s going back on. Try checking the tension and amount of slack. If that doesn’t work remove the wheel and inspect the brake drum. Also check the pedal side chain

Jimmy Cincinnati /

check / adjust chain (honestly probably time for a new chain) as it could be too loose or its bounding up. Replace sprockets if worn with the chain. Pull wheel off and inspect the shoes to make sure they are not dragging or something is loose in there. I kind of doubt it but if all that fails you could have an issue in the transmission (broken spring, or something binding the gears).

thad wingfield /

I removed the chain and the rear tier still gets stuck when moving it in the forward motion. so I know the problem is in the hub somewhere now. the odd thing is that when the tire sticks and wont rotate forward it will still rotate backwards just fine? going to look some info up on the brake {drum} and hub system. then open the hub up and see if I can find the issue. thank you for everyone's help so far. this group is very supportive and helpful.

Could be a broken brake shoe spring

> thad wingfield Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I removed the chain and the rear tier still gets stuck when moving it in

> the forward motion. so I know the problem is in the hub somewhere now.

> the odd thing is that when the tire sticks and wont rotate forward it

> will still rotate backwards just fine? going to look some info up on the

> brake {drum} and hub system. then open the hub up and see if I can find

> the issue. thank you for everyone's help so far. this group is very

> supportive and helpful.

Just take the brake hub apart, not much mystery going on there and the problem will probably be pretty evident when you open it up.

Yeah. Tomos brakes are notorious for this. Check to make sure your cable adjustment is correct, and check if the lever on the hub sticks. I always have problems with the lever sticking on Tomos. If that’s not the problem the little doo dad the lever attaches to can get bound up too. I would take the wheel off and take the shoes off,check the parts clean everything with brake clean and put it back together and see how the action is. Chances are you’ll know what’s wrong once you have it apart and look inside.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account