> Baron Von Hamilton Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> > I seen in the other ciao thread erich moved his seat back, that front

>

> > wheel is gonna come up even easier.

>

> Also it is Eric. Last name is Hamilton so for some reason with the new

> MA format it combines my first name with the first letter of my last

> name. Hahahah kinda funny because Erich is a real name.

>

> Ya! I am excited for that. I want to be in kool Kids wheelie club.

>

> I love this bike! The colors are great! Glad you posted up all the work

> you did.

Ahh nice I didn’t realize the names did that, when I first seen the seat mod I was thinking at least it’s single speed then I saw the variator. You’ll be ripping wheelies everywhere lol.

Thanks it’s such a fun bike my grande is quicker but it’s also kitted. It handles sluggish compared to the ciao and it’s way heavier.

Re: Another Ciao

nice build, love the porting and all the custom stuff. always fun seeing something thats not the same old boring slap on a kit.

> Graham Motzing Wrote:

> nice build, love the porting and all the custom stuff. always fun

> seeing something thats not the same old boring slap on a kit.

Joe’s builds are the shit if you haven’t had a chance to yet check out his Kinetic build I believe the thread isn’t from too far back

> MOPITT no nips Al Wrote:

> > Graham Motzing Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > nice build, love the porting and all the custom stuff. always fun

>

> > seeing something thats not the same old boring slap on a kit.

>

> Joe’s builds are the shit if you haven’t had a chance to yet check out

> his Kinetic build I believe the thread isn’t from too far back

The link for that build is in my profile

> Graham Motzing Wrote:

> nice build, love the porting and all the custom stuff. always fun

> seeing something thats not the same old boring slap on a kit.

Thanks, this whole build was done on cheaply trying to use left over parts I had laying around and modding stock parts.

> - Joe - Wrote:

> Thanks, this whole build was done on cheaply trying to use left over

> parts I had laying around and modding stock parts.

That's the best part . That also explains the colors . ;)

I keep looking at the porting you did on the cylinder. I love it. Did you have any sealing issues with the hole in the stud that passes through the exhaust?

> P D Wrote:

> > - Joe - Wrote:

>

>

> > Thanks, this whole build was done on cheaply trying to use left over

>

> > parts I had laying around and modding stock parts.

>

> That's the best part . That also explains the colors . ;)

Lol I bought those I colors. I love using bright/obnoxious colors. It was going to have fluorescent yellow rims but the paint was transparent and didn’t turn out how I wanted. I think I needed to spray a white base coat before the yellow.

> I keep looking at the porting you did on the cylinder. I love it. Did

> you have any sealing issues with the hole in the stud that passes

> through the exhaust?

None that I noticed, I didn’t do a pressure test on it. The case side of the bolt is sealed, I’m not running the decomp. I stoned the washer and nut smooth then sprayed them with the copper spray to help with sealing.

Good deal!

I always wanted fluorescent yellow wheels too on a bike. I love the color combo because it is so different!

I built this wheel for my kinetic but then got a set of the 10 spoke mags. Eventually I wanna swap those on.(edited)

5B4136A6-E295-47CB-834D-4A4D92DD475B.jpeg

> - Joe - Wrote:

> > P D Wrote:

>

>

> > > - Joe - Wrote:

>

> >

>

> > > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> >

>

> > > Thanks, this whole build was done on cheaply trying to use left over

>

> >

>

> > > parts I had laying around and modding stock parts.

>

> >

>

> > That's the best part . That also explains the colors . ;)

>

> Lol I bought those I colors. I love using bright/obnoxious colors. It

> was going to have fluorescent yellow rims but the paint was transparent

> and didn’t turn out how I wanted. I think I needed to spray a white base

> coat before the yellow.

The yellow would have been easier on the eyes .

Even so , it seems you did great for leftovers .

I always said , leftovers have better flavor . :D

That is a nice rim! I have a Kenitic rim on the front of Magnum X and always wanted to do a disk break conversion. Tons of room to bolt it to that giant hub!(edited)

> That is a nice rim! I have a Kenitic rim on the front of Magnum X and

> always wanted to do a disk break conversion. Tons of room to bolt it to

> that giant hub!

Yeah for sure those kinetic hubs are huge, I’ve been looking into use Harley shovelhead rotors for the 10 spoke mags I have. They are 10” dia with a center bore of 2 3/8”(edited)

Lol if either of yall do that again send me your old front brake plates and shoes

I found these at the hardware store, I thought they might help with the super soft bravo forks. They might be too stiff, I’ll know once I get a chance to take it for a ride.(edited)

9B852183-CF90-47EB-81CD-3CC01137FC74.jpeg
0A5201F1-31B5-47EF-8A3F-7EFB34C72450.jpeg

Beefcakes!

> - Joe - Wrote:

> I found these at the hardware store, I thought they might help with the

> super soft bravo forks. They might be too stiff, I’ll know once I get a

> chance to take it for a ride.

Those might help .

Probably take the wiper caps out , but ...

Have you thought about simply stretching the internal fork springs ?

Idk how these are designed. Can you throw a pice or pvc pipe inside to put a preload on the internal springs? I did that to my K10s and it made a world of difference. Also did it to my XR200.

> Idk how these are designed. Can you throw a pice or pvc pipe inside to

> put a preload on the internal springs? I did that to my K10s and it

> made a world of difference. Also did it to my XR200.

According to the manual , #7 is a spring . If it is , then a spacer might be possible .

#7 is super soft, I don’t think spacers would work I think the springs are bottoming out. Stretching them might work, I can’t see the oil doing anything in these forks I’m not too worried about destroying the wipers. I could make a spacer that sits on the top of the fork tube to space the springs off of the wipers.

The bravo forks is pathetic at Best. But the second set of springs on the fork tubes is a splendit idea if the lack of additional dampening is tolerable. It's simplicity is self evident. Please keep us posted on this because I will do it too if there are encouraging results. It's not easy to locate springs that fit into the bravo fork and actually improve things.

I tried all sorts of home remedies on the existing bravo forks. Before I got the nos set off someone in Seattle, I got ahold of rebuild lowers in the vain hope that somehow the old leaking set of lowers were the problem. Nope with newly rebuild lowers no change. Then I tried all sorts of viscosities and amounts of oils without improvement. Then the new fork never used so the springs were not somehow used too much for the spring to.go away. I can now tell you with complete assurance that the springs don't have any spring to them.i talked to Graham Motzig for his opinion about this several times years ago when we were discussing things about Bravo's and he thought that some people use a really heavy tar that that would somehow impede the open oil baths treatment of springs.I do think Vespa mopeds are having a Renaissance of interest by others. I think the open oil bath does do a little bit of damping maybe. But that's it there's no valve thing in there.It is not a modern motorcycle type of fork where you have a small chamber through which there's an orifice that controls the flow either in one direction or the other and that there's air Chambers above or below all of this. The bravo fork is cute looking but appropriate for 20 mph on a well paved street. whereas with the grande as others have pointed out they are robust and they actually work. my dream would be to somehow sneak in a Fox float fork hidden inside a bravo fork,now if anyone can figure that one out please post the directions or better yet make a second one.

Even if it doesn't help, it looks awesome!

#7 is a simple spring with nothing attached ?

Can someone provide dimensions ? Inside , if it has to fit over #9 ; Outside and Length as a general guide .

I was watching a German video of a large Vespa ride and it seemed like a good bit of the guys were running springs on the fork legs. I’m curious if the oil bath does anything it just seems like a spring submerged in oil at the bottom of the fork leg. The stock spring setup is so soft that just sitting on the bike almost bottoms them out.

> P D Wrote:

> #7 is a simple spring with nothing attached ?

>

> Can someone provide dimensions ? Inside , if it has to fit over #9 ;

> Outside and Length as a general guide .

There is a fastener that the top bolt holds to the top of the fork, then a super soft spring with not much space between coils #7 screwed into a plastic sleeve then another spring with a little more space between coils to a fastener for the bottom fork leg. I wonder if you could maybe use 2 of the bottom springs to get a little more out of the forks, but I think sitting relaxed the front end would sit a lot higher and probably still bottom out easily.(edited)

Looking at the parts image and your description , it seems that the springs are integral to holding the fork leg ( lower portion that holds the axle ) from slipping off the fork tube .

I'm thinking , if the springs are that weak , stretching them may not hold for very long . Still , it might be worth a shot . I've done so in different applications , with good results .

Replacing with a stiffer spring might help .

But , for simplicity sake , the compression springs you bought at the hardware will likely do as much or more good .

If there really is no valve in the forks , then the oil would only be good to keep things lubed and not corroding .

Yes you are correct the springs hold the forks together.

I found these on McMaster Carr they seem a little softer if current springs are too stiff.

CF576911-3583-4723-A977-2C3C30A3244C.png

McMaster Carr . That's a great site . A cobbler's dream site . ;)

Ya that pic shows those springs threading to top and bottom to hold them together....lame

But the external spring seems like a great idea!

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account