Another Ciao

With the other ciao builds going on I figured I’d post mine. I wanted a ciao since I came across the 50 plus on a ciao with the stock Vespa engine(https://www.mopedarmy.com/forums/read.php?7,4027273). I came across a good deal on a frame and picked that up. I already had everything else since I was collecting parts to build a Bmxped out of a old redline frame I had. Since I already had the Bmx style in mind I might as well build the ciao in the same manner.

Re: Another Ciao

I did the typical stuff opened the intake to 13mm, cut the crank, opened the intake patch.

Opened up the exhaust and blasted through that 3rd stud, I have a few extra cylinders to use I wanted to see if it would work out.

Boost ports added and aux exhaust ports

I spaced the base of the cylinder to have the exhaust fully opened at bdc then decked the cylinder.

Cut the head back a bit to get a tighter squish and smoothed out the casting.

Dirty30 Dillon /

US Ciao came with the most absurdly restricted power, via offsetting the ports like that.

All the late model Ciao's from across the way have excellent stock cylinders that are way more robust.

This is neat.

So glad you started a thread for this man, love this build.

Flywheel was lightened, I was a little worried I would get excessive vibration doing this without rebalancing but it seems smoother than my completely stock engine Vespa.

Stock

Lightened

Since my goal was ripping this thing around at 50 mph the stock frame design wasn’t going to cut it, I added a cross bar and welded all the seams to stiffen it up.

After some paint

Hell yeah

I had a set of bravo forks for it, but I hate how the bars sit over top of the steer tube. I made this upper plate to move the bars where they should be and I used a Bmx style clamp for it to keep the theme.

Some more painted parts

Here she is first put together I really didn’t like the look of the headlight. I’m using Bmx double wall rims and spokes. I know there was a thread a while back where people were hating on the idea. If I start breaking spokes ill worry about it then, but they are probably a third of the weight of a moped rim. I have never tacoed one in my 20+ years of riding Bmx.

I used a kinetic front hub to take advantage of the larger brakes

Figured I’d throw in a Bmx photo

47CC3500-0884-48AF-A0CA-C05ABC82A096.jpeg

I chopped the headlight brackets down I think they look a lot better, I probably could have cut more off but they are good for now.

Tail light bracket, I’m running LEDs with a regulator/rectifier and capacitors. The lights are super bright even at idle with no flicker.

Here is the bike together with a buddy’s motor to make sure it was a runner before giving it back.

I swapped my motor into the bike and modded a yz85 pipe to fit.

omg that uglyhot pipe! :)

First fire out in the snow

Took the bike out for a mopitt ride, on my ride to the shop I snapped my throttle cable bunny hopping a sewer lid. I doctored it up to get to the shop Alex had a cable for me to use to do the community ride.

I put 35 miles on the bike that day, it’s super fun to ride. It feels like a Bmx bike being so light the front wheel come up easy.

I made a set of pulleys to try to get a little more out of my 12:1 gear set.

At the moment my top speed on this setup is 42 mph I still have a good bit of tuning to do to hopefully hit the 50 mark.

Sweet Ciao

> MOPITT no nips Al Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> So glad you started a thread for this man, love this build.

Thanks, I love the way it turned out.

> Monti S Wrote:

> omg that uglyhot pipe! :)

It’s got that proma circuit feel lots of torque in the low to mid rpms but doesn’t really want to top out. It’s great on the hills I may try making a calibrata pipe for it next.

> John Maxson Wrote:

> Sweet Ciao

Thanks man

Here is the bike in its current state I had it out for a little ride in Christmas.

That beauty shot with the ig filter

Here is a running video with the yz pipe

Hellll yeah Joe, this came out great. And it's awesome that you bunny hop it too! I love seeing BMX and mopeds cross over. People don't realize but you can do some wild stuff on these little bikes.

> Max LGN Wrote:

> Hellll yeah Joe, this came out great. And it's awesome that you bunny

> hop it too! I love seeing BMX and mopeds cross over. People don't

> realize but you can do some wild stuff on these little bikes.

I still need to work on my wheelie game, I’m better at keeping the front wheel up standing up like a manual on a Bmx bike.

> Max LGN Wrote:

> Hellll yeah Joe, this came out great. And it's awesome that you bunny

> hop it too! I love seeing BMX and mopeds cross over. People don't

> realize but you can do some wild stuff on these little bikes.

Not to mention you can wheelie the fuck outta that Ciao ahem

Nice! Yeah ciaos just have that perfect wheelie geometry, and if it's variated game over. Just keep an eye on the headset. I destroyed a dozen lower bearing cups until i finally converted them to something more durable.

The LEDs are powered off the stock light coil? Did u float it ? Fabulous work

> Max LGN Wrote:

> Nice! Yeah ciaos just have that perfect wheelie geometry, and if it's

> variated game over. Just keep an eye on the headset. I destroyed a dozen

> lower bearing cups until i finally converted them to something more

> durable.

I seen in the other ciao thread erich moved his seat back, that front wheel is gonna come up even easier.

> Marc Friedman Wrote:

> The LEDs are powered off the stock light coil? Did u float it ?

> Fabulous work

Yeah it’s off the stock light coil, I wasn’t sure if it was going to work since it was 6v but damn that headlight is bright. Yes the lights are floated, I had to change the switches in the brake levers since the stock Vespa ones are opposite of what you need. I’m using a 8$ regulator rectifier from eBay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-4-Wires-Voltage-Regulator-Rectifier-for-ATV-GY6-50cc-150cc-Motorcycle-Parts-/123349404170

> I seen in the other ciao thread erich moved his seat back, that front

> wheel is gonna come up even easier.

Also it is Eric. Last name is Hamilton so for some reason with the new MA format it combines my first name with the first letter of my last name. Hahahah kinda funny because Erich is a real name.

Ya! I am excited for that. I want to be in kool Kids wheelie club.

I love this bike! The colors are great! Glad you posted up all the work you did.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account