Just got me a Moped :) 1980 Sachs Prima G3

Thanks for the great group. I have visited here many times but never joined. I just purchased a Sachs Prima G3 in very good condition and was trying to find out if this is a good model. I had a Tomos years ago and a Puch and a motobecan v50. This will be my first Sachs I just really dig the top tank and mag style wheels. This will be my neighborhood cruiser. Here in Idaho no registration or insurance is needed to ride one on the streets. Hope to learn lots on here. These are a few pics of the moped

00e0e_hiJ2eaB9pNp_1200x900.jpg
00000_8jwqP55cEWH_1200x900.jpg
00n0n_gdzj7M5Iq97_1200x900.jpg

Re: Just got me a Moped :) 1980 Sachs Prima G3

you'll love it. my last two g3's were bought for 150.00 & 100.00. ohio has lots of these for cheap

Those G3's are so sexy. How are the Sachs motors performance wise?

Dang! I wish mine was in that good of condition.

Excellent bike, is that the "D" engine? Looks in great shape, enjoy!

Doug Stump /

yep the D I think I way over paid for the bike but you only live once

You can have that bike as long as you want to ride, the "D" is the faster model from what I have read, always wanted one of those, given the condition it is prob worth what you paid. Great looking bike.

Congratulations and have a ton of fun,Man!

Doug Stump /

Thanks

Paul Boyer (OFMC) /

Sweet!!! Congrats.

cover it up man. things will degrade quickly. put it in the garage...or livingroom!

Doug Stump /

That was the sellers pics

Doug Stump /

I just got it home in my hands. I am really excited the paint looks new still the tail light is broken off not the lens but the housing assembly. I have it looks like I need to check out our 3d printer at work and see if I can print one out :) I will get more pics there is zero rust anywhere. The chrome side cover looks perfect.

Sounds like you got a great deal,even at higher cost. I love good chrome and shiny paint!

Those tail light housings are very easy to come by new or used. I just replaced one on my Garelli, which uses the same housing.

Doug Stump /

link to source please

Larry Picarello /

Great bike, IMO way better than a Puch Magnum.

Sorry I sold the one I used on one of MoPedLars annual rides...those were the days!

Gianelli pipe bonus

Downhill Harvey (OFMC) /

Tri-ped Dave O.D.B. /

I woud fabricate a small front bracket for that Gianelli pipe so it doesn't fall down as they are known to do. All that weight held on by a clamp over the exhaust port is not sturdy and they come loose easy. Tack on a metal tab to one of the cylinder bolts to end the shakes. The D with that pipe should easily deliver 35mph all day even with the stock cylinder and carb

Yea I was also gonna suggest assisting that pipe in staying up, my goto is to drill little holes in the bottom of the fins and tack a pair of washers on the header and spring mount it up. It's real simple and totally saves you from having to use your sock to grab the hot pipe and fit it back on then tie it in place with your belt just to finish a Sunday ride back from wafflehouse

> Born to be WillD Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Yea I was also gonna suggest assisting that pipe in staying up, my goto

> is to drill little holes in the bottom of the fins and tack a pair of

> washers on the header and spring mount it up. It's real simple and

> totally saves you from having to use your sock to grab the hot pipe and

> fit it back on then tie it in place with your belt just to finish a

> Sunday ride back from wafflehouse

^ this.

great bikes, if it hasn't been on the road in a while i would change the oil in the transmission, change the fork oil (its probably smelly black goo at this point) and do all the basic maintenance stuff. (tires, chain, etc)

900 miles is awesome but you gotta figure its been sitting its whole life so it will need a lil' lovin before you go tearing around.

Just pray the clutch doesn’t poop out on you, I’m having trouble with mine right now and it’s a pretty common issue

Doug Stump /

Clutch looks simple enough to rebuild

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account