Re: New Honda Super Cub.....

yeah i can see where the rebels would be a turn-off to some people. they are super low and easy to ride but that shifting thing, always amazes me how that is such an impediment to people.

Shifting requires actual learning . That's something that seems to evade a lot of people .

' Why can't I just get on and ride ? Why should I have to know anything ? '

Brandon Weiss (Detective brandon to you) /

> P D Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Shifting requires actual learning . That's something that seems to evade

> a lot of people .

>

> ' Why can't I just get on and ride ? Why should I have to know anything

> ? '

That's pretty much the mindset of everybody driving a car in NYC.

"What are all these signs? What are these 2 yellow lines down the center of the road? Oh, a bagel shop! No parking, meh i'll just stop in the middle of the street, i'll only be 5 minutes! "

Jimmy Cincinnati /

We have plenty of people come into our shop, not wanting a scooter, but wanting something that is not as daunting as a "full size" motorcycle.

A rebel is a pretty small, lightweight motorcycle... no where near that of a 883 harley.

they are super low and easy to ride but that shifting thing, always amazes me how that is such an impediment to people.

I didnt think about the shifting thing... your right there are some people that dont want to shift.

Dirty30 Dillon /

Some people actually cannot grasp the concept of shifting gears, yet want to ride a two-wheeled thing.

I get it.

Jimmy Cincinnati /

Some people actually cannot grasp the concept of shifting gears, yet want to ride a two-wheeled thing.

I agree, but i still think it will be a niche market for these. I dont expect them to sell well. I hope they do tho.

Dirty30 Dillon /

> Jimmy Cincinnati Wrote:

> Some people actually cannot grasp the concept of shifting gears, yet

> want to ride a two-wheeled thing.

>

> I agree, but i still think it will be a niche market for these. I dont

> expect them to sell well. I hope they do tho.

The Honda Cub is the most produced motorcycle in history, how do you not see a modernized version selling well?

Jimmy Cincinnati /

The Honda Cub is the most produced motorcycle in history, how do you not see a modernized version selling well?

True, but it was sold world wide. There are some in the states for sure, but modern Americans have this "bigger is better" mentality. For example, i ride a Honda Nighthawk 250cc which is double the size of that cub. Everyone considers it a starter or womans motorcycle... actually they call it a starter womans bike. Every craigslist add i see for rebels and similar bikes list them as starter bikes. I consider it my "big bike." Its basically a rebel styled a little bit different. I see a few honda rebels around but i hardly ever see anything smaller. Hell they consider Harley 883's to be starter bikes.

I was in a motorcycle safety course about 10 years ago and there was a few women in the class. I remember one of them talking about how much she loved her husbands harley and he had bought her a new 1200cc for when she gets her license. FYI she dropped a Honda Rebel in that class probably a dozen times.

You can even see it in cars. I see dudes commuting to work in large dully trucks... only 1 person in the crew cab truck, empty bed. Or all the SUV's with V8's & 4 wheel drive. Having that $60K SUV is now part of the american dream. Minivan's nowadays have over 300+hp for crying out loud. Its all about bigger, better, and more crap.

Its a great bike. I wish it would be more popular here. I just dont think it aligns with American ideals. Remember when gas prices first started soaring? Most people didnt give up their gas suckers then.

I guess what im saying is the bike will probably sell well in the world market but i expect it to sell poorly in the states. There are tons of Honda motorcycles from the 70's & 80's forsale on craiglist but few cubs pop up. I think that speaks of past sales here... of which i suspect were still higher sales then what we can expect now.

Tri-ped Dave O.D.B. /

My sense of nostalgia can't get past the disc brake even though they are superior

"but modern Americans have this "bigger is better" mentality." In contrary to old timey Americans that were all about small economic vehicles?

Jimmy Cincinnati /

"but modern Americans have this "bigger is better" mentality." In contrary to old timey Americans that were all about small economic vehicles?

True, so i guess you could say we have always been this way. But i think we are a bit worse now than before. And nowadays there are plenty of banks wanting to lock you into a loan for the 60K SUV. I think people have more ability to get the "better" model now. Plus mopeds in general tend to get a bad rap here and are viewed as uncool.

So again, i think it would sell but not on a large scale. I think its a niche group of people here.

Kind of like dirtbikes. Something like a KX125 is balls fast... but everyone that buys one trys to sell or trade it a few months later because they need the 250. I would say the KX125 is more than enough bike for 99% of riders but they see the bigger number than gotta have it.

Dirty30 Dillon /

Look to the Grom and you'll see despite the ethos that Americans are supposed to think bigger is better, people are still buying them.

There is a huge segment of the American market that buys scooters. Offer them something that is nostalgic, has Honda reliability, and also offers the benefit of selectable gears without the hassle of a clutch (controls laid out like the scooters they are used to) and it's a win.

And if you;ve never slammed through gears on a Honda Semi-auto you won't really comprehend why it's so much fun.

Jimmy Cincinnati /

Look to the Grom and you'll see despite the ethos that Americans are supposed to think bigger is better, people are still buying them.

Yeah but i think the Grom is a different market. Its like comparing apples to oranges. A grom rider would not buy a cub.

Dirty30 Dillon /

> Look to the Grom and you'll see despite the ethos that Americans are

> supposed to think bigger is better, people are still buying them.

>

> Yeah but i think the Grom is a different market. Its like comparing

> apples to oranges. A grom rider would not buy a cub.

Sure man, you're right. They're definitely so different being small displacement motorcycles from the same manufacturer, both based on the same powerplant.

SILLY ME

Captain Janeway /

> The Honda Cub is the most produced motorcycle in history, how do you not

> see a modernized version selling well?

>

> True, but it was sold world wide. There are some in the states for sure,

> but modern Americans have this "bigger is better" mentality. For

> example, i ride a Honda Nighthawk 250cc which is double the size of that

> cub. Everyone considers it a starter or womans motorcycle... actually

> they call it a starter womans bike. Every craigslist add i see for

> rebels and similar bikes list them as starter bikes. I consider it my

> "big bike." Its basically a rebel styled a little bit different. I see a

> few honda rebels around but i hardly ever see anything smaller. Hell

> they consider Harley 883's to be starter bikes.

>

> I was in a motorcycle safety course about 10 years ago and there was a

> few women in the class. I remember one of them talking about how much

> she loved her husbands harley and he had bought her a new 1200cc for

> when she gets her license. FYI she dropped a Honda Rebel in that class

> probably a dozen times.

>

> You can even see it in cars. I see dudes commuting to work in large

> dully trucks... only 1 person in the crew cab truck, empty bed. Or all

> the SUV's with V8's & 4 wheel drive. Having that $60K SUV is now part of

> the american dream. Minivan's nowadays have over 300+hp for crying out

> loud. Its all about bigger, better, and more crap.

>

> Its a great bike. I wish it would be more popular here. I just dont

> think it aligns with American ideals. Remember when gas prices first

> started soaring? Most people didnt give up their gas suckers then.

>

> I guess what im saying is the bike will probably sell well in the world

> market but i expect it to sell poorly in the states. There are tons of

> Honda motorcycles from the 70's & 80's forsale on craiglist but few cubs

> pop up. I think that speaks of past sales here... of which i suspect

> were still higher sales then what we can expect now.

Do you feel safe on that 250 on the freeway? WOT is about 70 right? They drive like effing idiots in the Bay Area so I don't know if I'd feel safe on one. Was thinking about a Rebel because it's about the only thing short enough for me. And yeah, I'd have to learn shifting, but I don't have a problem with trying to learn.

eh i used to daily a TW200 on the freeway in austin, speed limit 70 most cars going about 85. I could hold 70 on a flat but slowed to 65 with any kind of uphill. I eventually 'upgraded' to a Ninja 250 which could hold 80 pretty easily, still what most people would consider 'too small'

I dunno what kind of motorcycle you would have to ride to 'feel safe'. Its like working on a roof, you do it for awhile and you normalize the fear. Feeling afraid is what keeps you safe by kicking in your adrenaline and making you hyper alert... its also what makes riding any two wheeler in a land of cages feel so awesome.

You can get an adrenaline rush doing a buck 40 in and out of traffic on a liter bike, or you can get it from white knuckling 70 mph on a 20 hp enduro.... I can only afford one of the two.

Jimmy Cincinnati /

Sure man, you're right. They're definitely so different being small displacement motorcycles from the same manufacturer, both based on the same powerplant.

The grom looks like a mini adventure bike. The Cub looks like a roided out moped. Groms are for preppy vloggers... its a different market. If you cant see that i cant help you.

Do you feel safe on that 250 on the freeway? WOT is about 70 right? They drive like effing idiots in the Bay Area so I don't know if I'd feel safe on one. Was thinking about a Rebel because it's about the only thing short enough for me. And yeah, I'd have to learn shifting, but I don't have a problem with trying to learn.

Yeah, i feel alright in the slow lane. It holds 60-65 alright, 70+ seems like your straining the engine. Granted i regeared it taller... and weigh 220. Stock gearing at 65 seems like your pushing it. The bike really needs a 6th gear but what can you do. I rode my buddies Ninja 250 a couple times and it is for sure the better bike. I got my Nighthawk 250 from a police auction for $450... titled and all. It was an ex trainer bike. So i dont complain much.

Shifting is no biggie, youll catch on soon. If you have the choice consider an Ninja 250 or maybe a newer style rebel. Or... if you find an older Rebel 450 that might be worth a try. I havent personally rode one to really know but i would image the cruising speed is a bit better. The rebel & nighthawk 250's are easy as pie to work on. Sure the 1 carb turds it done some but no syncing and they are easy to clean.

eh i used to daily a TW200 on the freeway in austin,

Another bike in need of a 6th gear. Those big tires on it also create some drag. Im impressed you got 65mph out of it.

I dunno what kind of motorcycle you would have to ride to 'feel safe'. Its like working on a roof, you do it for awhile and you normalize the fear.

True, however these bikes lack any real kind of passing or get the hell out of the way power at 65-70. I just pull to the side and slow down when someone is tail gating me on the freeway.

You can get an adrenaline rush doing a buck 40 in and out of traffic on a liter bike, or you can get it from white knuckling 70 mph on a 20 hp enduro.... I can only afford one of the two.

Ive always been intrigued with the idea of buying what you need. I like the idea of getting around on a small bike i got cheap. I have as much fun on it as most people do on big sport bikes... granted im pass the point of wanting to do 200mph on the freeway.

TW200 just needs a taller front sprocket. going from a stock 14 to a 16 makes a huge difference and will get you an honest to god 70 mph flat surface, not 71, not 69. Dead on 70 GPS. I was also running the street tires with like 35 psi.

They are legit great all arounder bikes. One of the bikes i really regret selling.

Captain Janeway /

Jimmy nailed it I'd just want enough speed to get me out the way of the idiots coming up behind me. Thanks for the input.

Jimmy Cincinnati /

They are legit great all arounder bikes. One of the bikes i really regret selling.

I won my father a 2007 TW200 from a state vehicle auction for $550. They said it was locked up, but he got it running pretty easily. Not sure he even cracked the top end. Look up your state, i bet you can find an auction where they are selling off their surplus trainer motorcycles. Ohio was selling like 15 of those that day and it seems like yearly they clear out some bikes. FYI bid early on the first few that come up, as the auction carrys on people get more desperate and bid higher and higher. I missed out on a $250 Honda Nighthawk 250 at the beginnning. But luckily i won mine a few bikes later for $450. His bike looks just like...

Jimmy nailed it I'd just want enough speed to get me out the way of the idiots coming up behind me. Thanks for the input.

No problem. I know ive been preaching small bore but the bike ive been wanting for years is a 90's Suzuki GS500. Its a 500cc twin cylinder standard looking motorcycle. I think that would give me enough highway power. They can be had for $1200-$1500. Not sure if that would be your kind of bike. I think they still make them however i perfer the 90's as it has more the naked look. In the 00's they added fairings... still the same bike but with body work. Check it out

Here is a 90's...

Later years...

Captain Janeway /

Jimmy,

Need something slammed. My inseam is ridiculously short. I can't even ride a Puch with the seat all the way down. Most scooters (like I'd ride one anyway), nope--seats are so wide I can't hit the ground. The Rebel is short enough.

Only bikes I've been able to ride are my Urbans, my Moby and my Tomas Targa (god that bike was a disaster).

Jimmy Cincinnati /

Ever consider a Kawasaki Eliminator 250? Low slung seat, and nearly double the power of a rebel. They arent as common but if you keep your eyes open you will find them.

Captain Janeway /

> Ever consider a Kawasaki Eliminator 250? Low slung seat, and nearly

> double the power of a rebel. They arent as common but if you keep your

> eyes open you will find them.

>

> http://cloud.leparking-moto.fr/2018/06/26/18/00/kawasaki-eliminator-kawasaki-el-250-b-rot_88601056.jpg

Thanks. Will keep an eye out for one to try.

the CM400's have a real low seat and keep up with traffic just fine. the KTM 390 duke, a little (lot) more expensive but its a hell of a bike and very petite, you could probably lower it an inch or two pretty easy the way the suspension is set up

even the 690's aren't too tall but the 390 is a great size and probably the best starter bike on the market right now. the torquey single cylinder is super forgiving and a blast to ride.

speaking of blast, i've been seeing buell blasts coming up cheap too lately. they can hold highway speed just fine and are pretty petite.

Jimmy Cincinnati /

speaking of blast, i've been seeing buell blasts coming up cheap too lately. they can hold highway speed just fine and are pretty petite.

I forgot about the Buell blast. They are pretty low. Also the Virage 250 & 535 are low slung.

Angry Hipster /

New Honda Super Cub's battery goes dead bike won't start.

Old Honda Super Cub's battery goes dead, who cares.

The old one is like the AK47 of motorcycles, it just keeps going. The new one not so much. . .

I don't mind the bike itself, it just sucks that it shares the name of the legendary old school cubs

Buel are horrible bikes. They handle like trash! I second the cm400, the best entry level bike that you wont outgrow in a couple months.

My first real ride was a cub, for the first 3 or so years I figured I'd never want a motorcycle. If I was the sorta person to buy new stuff, that new cub def woulda fitr the bill

Tri-ped Dave O.D.B. /

The Buell Blast handles just fine. Especially with the lower seat (you have 2 options) I had one and tossed it around like a toy. You can get a good looker/runner for around 1000-1500 bucks and you thump around town sounding like the big boys without breaking the bank. Throw the Jardine header on it and you get a nice sound along with a few more horses. My current chopper, not THAT is bad handling. It is for the expert rider only, a true death trap.

c.JPG

Pushrod Fifty /

Nice to see the Cub back in production, congrats Lar! My two cubs are still running strong after 12 yrs now. I just picked up a 65 Honda CT200, it's a 90cc pushrod trail bike version of the cub. Basket case- $200.00.

Can't believe a Cub is creating such a Ruckus on this thread!

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account