2005 tomos st a35 runs but wont move

Matthew Kral /

Ok got this bike for almost free and wanted something to tinker with. The young kid said it would start and run but nothing happends when the throttle is turned. He said it would get louder but the wheel wouldn't turn. Where is a good place to start looking and possible causes and fixes. And how pricey? I would like to learn how to fix this myself if possible.

20181029_204527.jpg
20181029_211402.jpg

Re: 2005 tomos st a35 runs but wont move

Sounds like a broken clutch, pretty common Tomos issue.

First thing you could try is tapping the clutch area with a rubber mallet, every once in a while thats enough for it to re-engage.

If that doesn't work, open her up and see what's wrong.

That's looks nice for free.

Like the color and the "wizard" wheels.

Start with the transmission. Drain the transmission and get the clutch cover off I would inspect everything.

check compression too, easy enough to do, and rule out....

Probably first gear is toasted or the one way locking collar on the back is broken. Could also be the clutch too as bas autowas said. Don't start it until you pull off the cover and onspect the carnage or risk causing further damage.

I love red and black together.

How much did you pay if you dont mind me asking?

Matthew Kral /

> Matthew Kral Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> 2

Two ass whoopins'?

Two tacos?

Two strokes?

Two c notes?

Two half dollars?

Two bit coins?

Two offers?

Two?

> Bas Autowas Wrote:

> Sounds like a broken clutch, pretty common Tomos issue.

>

> First thing you could try is tapping the clutch area with a rubber

> mallet, every once in a while thats enough for it to re-engage.

>

> If that doesn't work, open her up and see what's wrong.

Broken clutch is NOT a common Tomos problem whatever you do DON'T take the transmission apart unless you study diagrams as closely as you would study heart surgery. My Tomos clutch took me 10,000 miles with 300 pounds on the bike on logging roads across farm fields gravel roads highways .. the only time I had a clutch problem was when I tested it after all that use on a very steep hill full throttling until a stall a stupid stunt, some cork rubbed off. The transmission is very intricate, incredibly strong but very precise, putting one washer on wrong will cause you tons of problems. You need to make detailed diagrams. If the manual says 'replace this washer before reassembly' do it, and don't substitute, that's how I ruined my transmission after replacing the cork in the clutch.

> Matthew Kral Wrote:

> 2

Two hundred is a good price you got a deal. You know what it could be something as simple as the wheel aligned wrong and the tire rubbing hard against the frame, a real simple fix. But take the back wheel off and the chain and check the chain and gears for wear, you'll learn a lot doing this simple stuff. But go at it slow and easy, don't rush. Clean and oil everything. Diagram everything as you take it apart because it all looks strange going back together.

the tomos was my first moped as well. if your mechanically inclined just take it apart n post picts, take note not to fu cover gasket, washer/shim placement. its really simple after the 10th time! post picts, lotsa help here.

> pat splat Wrote:

> the tomos was my first moped as well. if your mechanically inclined just

> take it apart n post picts, take note not to fu cover gasket,

> washer/shim placement. its really simple after the 10th time! post

> picts, lotsa help here.

If he was mechanically inclined it would be in a hundred pieces by now. DON'T take the engine transmission apart until you've learned a LOT by doing simple things like taking wheels and chain off etc. And be careful what advice you take here, there's good advice and bad advice. The Tomos clutch comment was an example of bad advice. Although, sure, if someone adds a few horsepower to a 1.9 HP engine, then revs the engine and pops the clutch that someone is going to have problems and not just with the clutch, with the cooling and gears and chain etc. Burnouts are called that for a reason.

If the problem isn’t the obvious broken clutch. I had a similar issue. The problem was with the gears. There is a one way bearing for first gear that will give out. Best bet is to find another A35 engine to rob parts for. That was my problem.

C5D0E71F-A2B4-402D-947B-C06DAC5C48FB.jpeg

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account