New member intro

Greetings Moped People! Just picked up a nearly stock, virtually unmolested PA50I. 900 honest miles. Cleaned and adjusted carb. Cleaned tank..ongoing but not beyond salvaging. Have many inline filters. Just installed Jammy pipe. Does 27 on the flat! I am just shy of 200lbs. Pretty stoked so far! On maiden voyage it did cut out twice but came back online after rolling another 100 feet or so each time. Seemed electrical and not fuel related but we'll see. Key switch has been bypassed and lights were not hooked up. I got all the lights working but maybe there is still some loose connections on the ignition side. I will give many props to anyone who can tell what the little beastie sitting behind her is...

20180905_132906[99].jpg

Re: New member intro

Opal GT, nice bike, you are doing well to get 27 out of a Pa-50I. Welcome aboard!

that looks like my mom's old Opal GT

and yay, more hobbittses! (edited)

There is a section in the Wiki about bringing your Pa-50I up to pa-50II specs, if you are interested in more power/performance. (edited)

Norris Hall /

Wow, you guys are good! Yeah, 73 GT. My First Hobbit but from what I had read about them I was pretty psyched to get close to 30 on the flat. She does slow down a bit on the hills of course. It seems totally stock to me from my research so far. Float was way low and I did mod the needle to get rid of the plunger. Just seemed more of a liability to me. Haven't re-jetted or bored carb out at all. Will probably do an exhaust/plug check soon to make sure I'm not running lean. Am only using premium and good synthetic oil at 25:1 but I am all too familiar with the issues with our crap E10 fuel and these small air cooled motors so I am going to keep an eye on her.

Norris Hall /

I'll check out the WIKI, thanks Stephen!

Probably Fred /

Yeah you’re not a member you’re a rider,

A member is somebody with the gang logo/ belongs to a moped gang.

Please read as much as you can in wiki

so not to ask so many stupid questions!

And if you do ask a stupid question have a thick skin so you don’t get bent if you’re ridiculed or someone calls you a name because a lot of people are kind of sick of the same questions like what kind of oil, what kind of exhaust, my moped don’t run etc.

> Ken Roff Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Yeah you’re not a member you’re a rider,

>

> A member is somebody with the gang logo/ belongs to a moped gang.

>

> Please read as much as you can in wiki

>

> so not to ask so many stupid questions!

>

> And if you do ask a stupid question have a thick skin so you don’t get

> bent if you’re ridiculed or someone calls you a name because a lot of

> people are kind of sick of the same questions like what kind of oil,

> what kind of exhaust, my moped don’t run etc.

Just like Ken is doing .

You are able to post relevantly to this site . So , you must have filled the requirements in correctly enough .

I would consider you a 'member' of this site .

No worries . Do what you do . ;)

AKA babyvette in my area..

Poor man's vette here. Green? Yellow? Chartreuse.

Welcome to the Thunderdome , Norris !

25:1 is very oil heavy by today's standards, I run 32:1 in mine, you can go 50:1 no problem with good oil. Non ethanol fuel is best if you can get it.

Norris Hall /

Thanks for the replies, I'm excited to be part of the site. I really appreciate the advice and encouragement. My GT is Rallye Gold. Looking forward to putting some miles on the Hobbit.

Paul Boyer (OFMC) /

Welcome to the Madness!!! (nice bike too)

Rad bike! I was going to get one similar a few weeks back. Someone acted faster than I did though.

011.jpg

Enjoy your bike, it looks all stock, take care of the foot boards and the belt/chain covers, they are expensive to replace. A tip, always close the petcock when not riding, and if you put the bike up over winter months, close petcock, and run the engine until it dies, (this will take a lot longer than you think) then try and start it until it will not even pop. These carbs are very sensitive and doing this keeps them from gumming up. I have been riding mine since '98 and never had a no-start in the spring.

Norris Hall /

Awesome tips! will do on the carb purge for the winter. Thanks for the cool pic too! I just happened upon this bike. I was going to look at a car for my son and the guy had it in his garage and said hey I'll make you a package deal. I was surprised at how clean and original it was. I actually have a 77 GS750 and an old Hondamatic twin (CM400A) so I thought it would be a cool addition to the fleet!

Norris Hall /

Also really appreciate the compliments on the Bike. Thanks!

Andrew Squiggman /

Ahh. The old problematic cm400 a

Norris Hall /

Funny how common a comment like that is depending on personal experience. No offense of course but not my personal experience. I was given the bike with 35k on it. It had sat in a trailer for 12 years or so. I cleaned up some grounds, put a fresh battery in it, changed oil, plugs and air filter, two new tires, greased the chain and rode it for 4 seasons before I had to even crack the float bowls. It has yet to break down on me. I had a guy come in my shop once and saw the bike and kinda snickered and he tells me his honda joke which consisted of him repeating hhhonda, hhonda, hhhhonda, like the sound of a bike cranking and no start. I just walked over to the bike, pulled the choke, tapped the starter button and it started instantly and sat there purring. It was classic.

I had one of those, it gave me no problems.

Norris Hall /

Hey Stephen, I love the CM400A although it is a bit small for me. I love being able to just come to a stop and start right off without even having to kick down into first. I am kind of a lazy rider I guess. I just love cruising around on the thing. It is just so effortless, haha. I sound like a lazy old fart, I know. Hey one of my best friends grew up in Stillwater. I have been promised a trip out there someday.

I loved mine too, it was a little buzzy on the highway, but a blast in town, like an overgrown moped!

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account